Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 08:22 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,279,332 times

Advertisements

Chicago's Downtown had a major Transformation where parts of its Downtown were virtually built new from Scratch. The Loop was Chicago's Downtown for most of its modern history. It now includes a New East side and Near North (Streeterville). These areas are virtually new abed River North. With its Loop restored and River North also booming in new residents in Lofts and Townhouses and high-rises. Chicago has the highest luxury High-rise living after NYC. Of course vibrancy is all part of it.

Pictures can show transformations. Actual people can note vibrancy. SOME BEFORE and AFTER
RESULTS;
The Near North of Downtown Chicago (Streeterville) Transformed by adding High-End Skyscrapers ADDING GREATLY TO DOWNTOWN RESIDENTS. Photo is a few years old missing buildings.

This Picture ABOVE �� SHOWS THE VERY SAME WHITE WALL OF BUILDINGS NOW HOUSING.
IN THESE PICTURES ��

The New East-Side along the Chicago River before Lake Michigan it Begins. Transformed.
THIS IS WHAT IS LOOKING DOWN THE CHICAGO RIVER IN ABOVE 50s early 60s Photo.
PICTURE BELOW IS LOOKING OFF THE BRIDGE IN ABOVE CENTER OF 60 yrs. AGO.

The NEW-EAST SIDE from the Loop and Millennium Park added to Downtown. Transformed.

Showing Docks and closing industry. A blemish on the Lakefront. Of Streeterville
Near North top of picture and New East side redeveloped from empty lots and
Reuse of Air-Rights over Railroad beds. Chicago pioneered.

PICTURE BELOW IS RIGHT OF ABOVE LAND. COMPLETELY RE-INVENTED.

THIS ABOVE LATE 60S BECAME THIS BELOW TODAY . TRANSFORMED.
Grant Park/Millennium Park also has a underground parking garage for 2000 cars. Newly rebuilt.

THE SKYSCRAPERS BELOW ARE ON LAND ABOVE EARLY 60s
Showing Docks and closing industry. A blemish on the Lakefront. Of Streeterville
Near North top of picture and New East side redeveloped from empty lots and
Reuse of Air-Rights over Railroad beds. Chicago pioneered.

ANOTHER MAJOR RE-INVENTED AREA OF DOWNTOWN RESIDENTIAL IS "RIVER NORTH"
Downtown with Lofts, High-End Townhouse developments and High-rises Transformed.

South Loop East New Skyscrapers over Railroad Air-Rights and Townhouse developments
Is Transforming and adding greatly to Downtown living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 09:38 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,884,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Regarding Seattle, indeed, but I would be wary of building in SoDo because this land could be very fragile during quakes as it is mostly infill.

However to your main point, I have seen crane after crane in Seattle's core for the past few years, and there are still several+ today. DTLA, well, don't have too much info on that area, other than you have to have an area that is attractive to new residents. DT Seattle does, not sure if DTLA does or doesn't. I guess if a new football stadium gets built, things would be looking up there.
I too am dubious of building on top of landfill, but that never stopped SF or Boston which have plenty of structures on top of landfill. In Seattle, two new mid-rise towers have gone up in the northern parking lot of the Seahawks studium, for instance, which is all built on landfill. Developers have also attempted to submit development plans for one of Seattle's piers. Landfill requires developers to build much safer structures, but it can and is often done nevertheless. As long as it's profitable, a developer will build it.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:54 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,824,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
I too am dubious of building on top of landfill, but that never stopped SF or Boston which have plenty of structures on top of landfill. In Seattle, two new mid-rise towers have gone up in the northern parking lot of the Seahawks studium, for instance, which is all built on landfill. Developers have also attempted to submit development plans for one of Seattle's piers. Landfill requires developers to build much safer structures, but it can and is often done nevertheless. As long as it's profitable, a developer will build it.
I wouldn't call 300 ft towers midrise ?

Old 08-17-2015, 10:13 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,870,959 times
midrise is a generic term, but I can understand it as any building from about 10-25 stories, which can certainly equal 300 feet, but that would probably be the max. I think anything above 300ft would classify as a high-rise. Somebody I'm sure on here has a more exact definition.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:36 PM

650 posts, read 867,608 times
Detroit. It looks great downtown now. Many new projects going on.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:57 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,884,402 times
Yeah, that's why I called it a "midrise tower." Somewhere between a midrise and a high rise by downtown Seattle standards. I suppose it could be called a high rise in the right context (cities with shorter height limits would surely call these buildings high rises).

Old 08-18-2015, 01:09 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,279,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Yeah, that's why I called it a "midrise tower." Somewhere between a midrise and a high rise by downtown Seattle standards. I suppose it could be called a high rise in the right context (cities with shorter height limits would surely call these buildings high rises).
# Stories
5-12-----Low-Rise
13-39---High-Rise
40+---Skyscraper

A good standard

Old 08-18-2015, 04:08 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,627,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
# Stories
5-12-----Low-Rise
13-39---High-Rise
40+---Skyscraper

A good standard
My own view of it is:

1-5 low-rise
6-19 mid-rise
20-49 high-rise
50-99 skyscraper
100+ supertall

Old 08-18-2015, 05:27 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,443,637 times
Right Charlotte,Raleigh and the Triad most definitely.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:10 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Would you call that an "improvement", or just growth? SF arguably already has one of the top 5 downtowns in the country going back decades. To say that it's one of the top improving downtowns takes away from the cities that have gone through a transition, and have built the type of momentum that SF already had.
SF = Square Footage

I guess I'm implying that growth = improvement too, but maybe that's not always true, which would make this discussion even more subjective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City