Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most prestigious
Los Angeles 114 44.36%
Chicago 39 15.18%
Washington, DC 44 17.12%
San Francisco 60 23.35%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 07:14 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,438,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, I understand what you're saying. However, that's different from the point I'm making It's odd to think about talent and skilled in such strict confines. Los Angeles has the second best art scene in the nation which also makes it among the best in the world. It has some of the world's best filmmakers. It has a fairly great and large music industry. What's the talent and skill you're pinpointing here with those schools-not really those industries. No CalArts, the Art Institute of Chicago, or RISD and for other prestigious schools, it'd only be specific departments which would be a pretty small minority among the alumnus of whichever respective institution.

This isn't to say that Los Angeles is doing great. It used to also have a fantastically large engineering base that has gone down substantially since the defense industry has moved much of itself to the DC area to be closer to those sweet government contracts--just pointing out that each city has its own strengths.

Also, that op-ed is missing something there--Los Angeles was also a much larger receiver of poorer immigrants from Mexico and Central America than San Francisco and any other city. This large supply of labor that is cheap relative to the rest of the US populace helps drive down the wages for certain kinds of work and makes the per capita numbers overall substantially lower. Basically, it's not like being a college-educated person with an advanced degree equates to depressed wages for that person in particular in Los Angeles.
That dude is crazy if he thinks the best filmmakers are going somewhere else besides la.
Thsts something he will never undestand.

Old 11-07-2015, 07:47 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
That dude is crazy if he thinks the best filmmakers are going somewhere else besides la.
Thsts something he will never undestand.
No offense, but filmmaking itself is not really considered very 'prestigious', that's number 1.

Certainly not next to tech or finance, entertainment is perceived as a dumber, less skilled, less important industry--and it just so happens that the other 2 industries(which are the most universally respected and admired probably in the world) are dominated by the Bay Area.

Old 11-07-2015, 08:06 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Washington DC is far more prestigious just by being the nation's capital.

Old 11-07-2015, 08:07 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
No offense, but filmmaking itself is not really considered very 'prestigious', that's number 1.

Certainly not next to tech or finance, entertainment is perceived as a dumber, less skilled, less important industry--and it just so happens that the other 2 industries(which are the most universally respected and admired probably in the world) are dominated by the Bay Area.
Certainly not a universal belief you have there, but I'm sure you're happy to hold it.

Old 11-07-2015, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

Yea, that's just your opinion buddy. Less skilled lol. It's more difficult to earn a living as a actor, director or writer than a programmer if you go by the odds.

Do you really think people who do sound editing, special effects, cinematography, costume design etc aren't sharp?

Meanwhile, millions of people around the freaking globe watch the emmy and Oscars to see who was the most skilled in a year. I think the Oscars reaches a billion.
It's the most prestigious award show on the planet. Buzz goes year round from fans and media.

Most people respect people in TV, movies, music etc just from the courage to make it. I've seen people's reaction to those professions in real life. Have you?

And filmmaking is so unimportant every state has created tax credits to attract it. Not to mention various countries.

Get out of that bubble and experience life.

Last edited by Freddy K; 11-07-2015 at 08:35 PM..

Old 11-07-2015, 08:44 PM

You're nuts. There's not one Bay area suburb more prestigious than Beverly Hills, Malibu etc.
And Cal tech is more prestigious than anything up there too.
I'm not gonna address the rest. You're nuts.

Old 11-07-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
Yea, that's just your opinion buddy. Less skilled lol. It's more difficult to earn a living as a actor, director or writer than a programmer if you go by the odds.
That's because programmers make more money due to more skills/education. HELLO?

Hollywood doesnt create nearly as many high paying jobs as Silicon Valley, and it's not close.

Quote:
Do you really think people who do sound editing, special effects, cinematography, costume design etc aren't sharp?
Sure, the technical positions sure, but really there arent enough to give a big enough part of LA to compare to what tech does to the Bay.

Quote:
Meanwhile, millions of people around the freaking globe watch the emmy and Oscars to see who was the most skilled in a year. I think the Oscars reaches a billion.
It's the most prestigious award show on the planet. Buzz goes year round from fans and media.

Most people respect people in TV, movies, music etc just from the courage to make it. I've seen people's reaction to those professions in real life. Have you?
Chump Change. You get a billion viewers once a year, we get billions of users every day.

Yawns.

Old 11-07-2015, 08:49 PM

What a lame response. But what else should I expect?

We're talking prestige. You didn't refute one thing how hollywood is less prestigious.

Old 11-07-2015, 09:01 PM

Like I said, and like many major news outlets have been reporting recently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsweek Oct 6, 2015
Hollywood was, and continues to be, LA’s success story, the undisputed world capital of entertainment. Hollywood became a New Economy industry even before IT, by reshaping itself in the 1970s.

But Hollywood is too small to carry the whole Southern California economy on its shoulders, and it is too isolated from the rest of the region’s activities.
Hollywood only really financially benefits a few, not enough to advance the entire region.

This article in Newsweek on Oct 6, 2015 is titled: "WHY THE BAY AREA PROSPERED AND LOS ANGELES STAGNATED"
http://www.newsweek.com/why-bay-area...agnated-391420

Old 11-07-2015, 09:08 PM

"Undisputed world capital of entertainment"

Seems pretty damn prestigious to me. I'm sure most rational people would agree.

Any city on earth would love that title. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City