Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2022, 10:49 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,768,537 times

Advertisements

Thanks for sharing. This part stuck out at me.

”I chose to live in a predominately black neighborhood, like many others I know, because I wanted to contribute as a homeowner, taxpayer, voter and good neighbor. I wanted to give back. At community meetings I’ve seen many of my neighbors doing their part to help North Kenwood thrive, whether it’s being quick to call 911 about suspicious activity, starting phone trees or forming a block club. Worrying about getting shot, however, should not be part of the social pact.

The solution is not to give privileged status to middle-class African Americans such as myself, but to make sure that black communities, as a whole, have equal access to the full range of city resources, from good schools to adequate street lighting to responsive police services. With the city budget process underway, now is a good time for all of us to keep an eagle eye on how those resources are distributed.”

I can relate to this because I too chose to live in a Black neighborhood around people that look like me. We face many challenges in our neighborhoods based upon historical injustices and racism just like the article said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2022, 11:05 AM

4,383 posts, read 4,626,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
https://www.ajc.com/news/investigati...MYICTG2BCOUPU/

Atlanta has the highest income inequality in the nation, Census data shows
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
This is unfortunate to hear, but not surprising.
To be fair though, this is strictly for the city limits of Atlanta. City of Atlanta is under 515,000 people. And the city of Atlanta only has 247,758 Black residents. That's a very small percentage of the 2 million plus Black people that make up the actual metropolitan area.

Atlanta metro does far better than the actual city limits when it comes to income inequality which helps explains why so many successful and middle class Black families and singles live outside the city limits.

But yeah the Atlanta metro ranks #227 which is better than New York City metro which ranks #39 and Houston metro which ranks #117.

Also I'll add other cities on the top of the city list like New Orleans and Miami are more than likely high on that list because they still have a significant amount of poor Black people that actually live in the city limits. Some of the more expensive cities on the list are more than likely not to make the top of the list when they've kicked majority of the poor people of color out the city limits. How could a city like San Francisco, Los Angeles or Austin top the list when it has Black populations less than the national average and continuing to decline?

Old 12-04-2022, 11:43 AM

16,702 posts, read 29,537,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
To be fair though, this is strictly for the city limits of Atlanta. City of Atlanta is under 515,000 people. And the city of Atlanta only has 247,758 Black residents. That's a very small percentage of the 2 million plus Black people that make up the actual metropolitan area.

Atlanta metro does far better than the actual city limits when it comes to income inequality which helps explains why so many successful and middle class Black families and singles live outside the city limits.

But yeah the Atlanta metro ranks #227 which is better than New York City metro which ranks #39 and Houston metro which ranks #117.

Also I'll add other cities on the top of the city list like New Orleans and Miami are more than likely high on that list because they still have a significant amount of poor Black people that actually live in the city limits. Some of the more expensive cities on the list are more than likely not to make the top of the list when they've kicked majority of the poor people of color out the city limits. How could a city like San Francisco, Los Angeles or Austin top the list when it has Black populations less than the national average and continuing to decline?
Thank you for explaining this to everyone.

Old 01-09-2023, 02:47 PM

Bowser Sets Goal Of Increasing D.C.’s Population And Black Incomes Over Next Five Years

Mayor Muriel Bowser on Monday outlined an ambitious plan to increase D.C.’s population by some 55,000 residents, grow the median income of Black households by $25,000, and put almost all residents east of the Anacostia River within a mile of a grocery store within the next five years.

The plan also contemplates a dramatic expansion of grocery stores in neighborhoods east of the Anacostia River, where more than 160,000 residents in two wards are currently only served by four supermarkets, compared to more than a dozen in Ward 3 alone. (The most recent opening east of the river was a Lidl in Ward 7.) As written, the plan promises between five and six new grocery stores over the next five years.

“We’ve seen what the market would do absent very significant investment from the city. So that will continue to be our approach,” said Bowser.

Finally, the plan includes a pledge to increase the median income of Black households from the current $53,000 a year to $78,000. The gap between the median income of white and Black residents is amongst the largest in the country. Responding to Bowser’s pledge, Councilmember Kenyan McDuffie (I-At Large), who chairs the D.C. Council’s committee on business and economic development, called it “bold.”

Old 01-09-2023, 03:06 PM

85 posts, read 46,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Bowser Sets Goal Of Increasing D.C.’s Population And Black Incomes Over Next Five Years

Mayor Muriel Bowser on Monday outlined an ambitious plan to increase D.C.’s population by some 55,000 residents, grow the median income of Black households by $25,000, and put almost all residents east of the Anacostia River within a mile of a grocery store within the next five years.

The plan also contemplates a dramatic expansion of grocery stores in neighborhoods east of the Anacostia River, where more than 160,000 residents in two wards are currently only served by four supermarkets, compared to more than a dozen in Ward 3 alone. (The most recent opening east of the river was a Lidl in Ward 7.) As written, the plan promises between five and six new grocery stores over the next five years.

“We’ve seen what the market would do absent very significant investment from the city. So that will continue to be our approach,” said Bowser.

Finally, the plan includes a pledge to increase the median income of Black households from the current $53,000 a year to $78,000. The gap between the median income of white and Black residents is amongst the largest in the country. Responding to Bowser’s pledge, Councilmember Kenyan McDuffie (I-At Large), who chairs the D.C. Council’s committee on business and economic development, called it “bold.”
Wish they had provided a little more detail as to how she's gonna implement this...

Old 01-09-2023, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hochita View Post
Wish they had provided a little more detail as to how she's gonna implement this...
The details are in here:

DC’s Comeback Plan January 2023
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City