Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2022, 07:51 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,774,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I believe the Furman Center information is more of a neighborhood/section definition which includes multiple census tracts in totality. So, it is beyond just a census tract here or there, but is in general terms.

An area of the Bronx with a black middle class presence(can vary as well, includes Edenwald and Wakefield): https://furmancenter.org/neighborhoo...dge-baychester

A source with DC information: https://opdatahub.dc.gov/
Got a chance to dig some more through the data you posted. Here are some key indicators:

Ward 7 DC
  • Median Home Value: $332,400
  • Median Monthly Rent: $1,044
  • Percent Black: 91.7%
  • Percent Foreign Born: 4%

Ward 8 DC
  • Median Home Value: $329,300
  • Median Monthly Rent: $1,132
  • Percent Black: 86.9%
  • Percent Foreign Born: 3.3%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2022, 07:57 AM

5,838 posts, read 5,642,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I don't disagree with you, but people in DC wouldn't call a neighborhood Black that only has 50% of its residents identify as Black. They would call it a mixed or diverse neighborhood. I don't think other races would call that a Black neighborhood either in DC. Neighborhoods that are 70-90% Black would be deemed a Black neighborhood by people living in DC. This may have more to do with expectations. What people expect their neighborhood to look like. Perception is reality.
I get it, there's other places besides DC like this too...

Old 08-26-2022, 08:00 AM

5,838 posts, read 5,642,075 times
Quote:
Got a chance to dig some more through the data you posted. Here are some key indicators:

Ward 7 DC

Ward 8 DC
These are affordable neighborhoods for all the **** we hear about how unaffordable DC is. What is the violent crime rate and what are public schools like in these wards?

I tell people all the time there are affordable areas I all the big cities, sometimes you have to really look for em as they can be buried under all the higher priced areas...

Old 08-26-2022, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
These are affordable neighborhoods for all the **** we hear about how unaffordable DC is. What is the violent crime rate and what are public schools like in these wards?

I tell people all the time there are affordable areas I all the big cities, sometimes you have to really look for em as they can be buried under all the higher priced areas...
Like most cities, crime depends on your neighborhood. These neighborhoods in Ward 7 are pretty safe. As for schools, DC is a school choice jurisdiction, so kids go to school all over the city. Everything from magnet schools to charter schools, to private schools, to public schools.

Fort Davis Park
Penn Branch
Hill Crest
Dupont Park
Fairfax Village
Eastland Gardens
Randall Highlands
River Terrace
Parkside

Last edited by MDAllstar; 08-26-2022 at 08:25 AM..

Old 08-26-2022, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post

Just an FYI, most of these Ward 7 EOTR neighborhoods below also have "Niche" crime grades that are either better or similar to popular neighborhoods in DC's urban core like Logan Circle, Shaw, U Street, Bloomingdale, Columbia Heights, Adams Morgan etc. which would most certainly surprise many people.

Penn Branch (Crime = B-)
Eastland Gardens (Crime = B-)
Fort Davis Park (Crime = C+)
Dupont Park (Crime = C+)
Fairfax Village (Crime = C+)
Randall Highlands (Crime = C+)
Hill Crest (Crime = C)
River Terrace (Crime = C-)
Parkside (New Neighborhood: Not Rated Yet)

Last edited by MDAllstar; 08-26-2022 at 08:52 AM..

Old 08-26-2022, 09:07 AM

2,597 posts, read 4,662,317 times
Default Boredatwork

Quote:
Just an FYI, most of these Ward 7 EOTR neighborhoods below also have "Niche" crime grades that are either better or similar to popular neighborhoods in DC's urban core like Logan Circle, Shaw, U Street, Bloomingdale, Columbia Heights, Adams Morgan etc. which would most certainly surprise many people.

Penn Branch (Crime = B-)
Eastland Gardens (Crime = B-)
Fort Davis Park (Crime = C+)
Dupont Park (Crime = C+)
Fairfax Village (Crime = C+)
Randall Highlands (Crime = C+)
Hill Crest (Crime = C)
River Terrace (Crime = C-)
Parkside (New Neighborhood: Not Rated Yet)
Lol I almost got shot up in river terrace going to that liquor store. I used to uber in DC and although these areas can be quiet at times I've also seen some pretty random stuff in NE. But yea like you said it depends on the neighborhood and its neighbors.

Old 08-26-2022, 09:32 AM

93,414 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:

Ward 7 DC

Ward 8 DC
What is the median household income for these areas?

Old 08-26-2022, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Lol I almost got shot up in river terrace going to that liquor store. I used to uber in DC and although these areas can be quiet at times I've also seen some pretty random stuff in NE. But yea like you said it depends on the neighborhood and its neighbors.
Guess that’s why of these neighborhoods, it is ranked last with a C-.

Old 08-26-2022, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What is the median household income for these areas?
Ward 7 was a little under $50,000 and Ward 8 is a little under $40,000.

Old 08-26-2022, 10:25 AM

93,414 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Ward 7 was a little under $50,000 and Ward 8 is a little under $40,000.
Interesting...Do you think that Ward 5 would have more pull for black professionals and families given the much higher median household income, lower poverty rate and higher educational attainment; while being about 63% black?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City