Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 09:10 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,980,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Why did we bother desegregating everything when the blacks obviously would rather just be amongst themselves anyway?
"the blacks"....yeah, not touching that.

Otherwise, this can't be a serious question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 09:17 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,993,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Different cities have different qualities. I would say LA and NYC is the best place for A List celebrities. El Paso or IE is the best place for Mexicans. Seattle, Boston and Portland are the best places for white people. Every city has different characteristics that attracts certain people
My problem is that your criteria is basically a pat on the back. Like, we know ATL & DC have a great black social scene. I don't think we need a whole thread about why every other place in the USA does/does not match up to the amenities of those two places. I get it is the ONE thing ATL can really boast about being better than everybody else in, but damn man we know.....

Last edited by jamills21; 09-15-2015 at 09:25 AM..

Old 09-15-2015, 09:19 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,780,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That exact terminology might not be employed with respect to those cities and the groups they tend to attract, but similar terminology exists and you just don't see people getting agitated about it like they do with Atlanta and Black folks. There's a reason for that but I digress.
Yes, I totally agree with that - though I think Gay Mecca is used from time to time to describe SF and that gets other people just as agitated these days just as much as describing ATL as The Black Mecca. Which is kind of why I said, it's best if we know it, but necessarily openly advertise or boast it - especially when it is the same answer, the same 2 or 3 places - every time.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:29 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,786,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
My problem is that your criteria is basically a pat on the back. Like, we know ATL & DC has a great black social scene. I don't think we need a whole thread about why every other place in the USA does/does not match up to the amenities of those two places. I get it is the ONE thing ATL can really boast about being better than everybody else in but damn man we know.....

Reread the OP again. This thread isn't about boosting a particular city. It's about the standard set on being labeled a future black mecca. That's it. I just set the standard. Again a standard has to be set because the word has been thrown around a lot lately. Again, Im only setting the standard. Read the original post again.

It's like LA setting the standard on being an A-List celebrity mecca. LA has all the top restaurants, famous neighborhoods, history, etc to make it a celebrity mecca. A new city just can't pop up and say it's an A list celebrity mecca unless it has the same qualities as LA. Again, read the OP again.

Actually Atl can boost about several things but Im sticking with the topic

Old 09-15-2015, 09:32 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,993,497 times
Quote:
Reread the OP again. This thread isn't about boosting a particular city. It's about the standard set on being labeled a future black mecca. That's it. I just set the standard. Again a standard has to be set because the word has been thrown around a lot lately. Again, Im only setting the standard. Read the original post again.

It's like LA setting the standard on being an A-List celebrity mecca. LA has all the top restaurants, famous neighborhoods, history, etc to make it a celebrity mecca. A new city just can't pop up and say it's an A list celebrity mecca unless it has the same qualities as LA. Again, read the OP again

Who are these cities gunning for the title? Houston, Chicago, Charlotte, Columbus? I'm just wondering because most of these cities do not meet your requirements. I can't really think of any other cities besides the ones you mentioned (ATL, NYC, DC).

Old 09-15-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Who are these cities gunning for the title? Houston, Chicago, Charlotte, Columbus? I'm just wondering because most of these cities do not meet your requirements. I can't really think of any other cities besides the ones you mentioned (ATL, NYC, DC).

Im not getting into that. Im just here to set the standard.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Yes, I totally agree with that - though I think Gay Mecca is used from time to time to describe SF and that gets other people just as agitated these days just as much as describing ATL as The Black Mecca. Which is kind of why I said, it's best if we know it, but necessarily openly advertise or boast it - especially when it is the same answer, the same 2 or 3 places - every time.
I agree; the "Black Mecca" moniker carried a lot more weight in the 80's and 90's. These days? Not so much.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:43 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,780,723 times
Quote:
It's about the standard set on being labeled a future black mecca.
"Future black mecca." K.

So, if you lay out a list of requirements that only a couple of places meet that are already "black meccas" you get to be an up and coming, "future" black mecca - even though that place would be the same as the current black meccas.

I'm confused.

But it doesn't matter - by the time that happens, ATL and DC will probably have done something more to make them Mega-meccas and the goalposts will get pushed again.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Reread the OP again. This thread isn't about boosting a particular city. It's about the standard set on being labeled a future black mecca.
I don't really think that's going to be a "thing" going forward. Certain cities gained this designation when opportunities were more limited for Black folks but things have changed.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I don't really think that's going to be a "thing" going forward. Certain cities gained this designation when opportunities were more limited for Black folks but things have changed.
There will be meccas until the end of the world. A standard is a standard. It's a big difference in a place that is good for a particular group vs being a mecca for that group. There will always be black, white, latino, tech, food, gambling, etc meccas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City