Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2015, 03:21 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,655,095 times

Advertisements

Sounds like segregation to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 05:14 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
Sounds like segregation to me.
I'm sure it does.

Old 11-30-2015, 06:17 AM

641 posts, read 802,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
From what I experienced, it seemed there's a nice contingent of Black professionals in Dallas. I didn't get a chance to explore more of the city so I can't say how it balances against the more blue-collar/working-class contingent though.
Dfw area is great. Not a mecca but can be a utopia for sure. It has the ingredients to become a mecca. Specifically, sw Dallas county and se Tarrant.

Dfw will only improve and one day it will be the 3rd most populous metro in the country, ahead of chicago.

Old 11-30-2015, 04:25 PM

24 posts, read 31,344 times
If I may, not wanting to read 163 pages, can someone sum up some of the conclusions arrived at? For instance, what cities have you all agreed to be "black meccas" and which are agreed upon to be at least "black utopias"?

...I mean besides Atlanta.

I ask in all sincerness, but I have to now post a URL to a Key and Peele skit that this thread reminds me of.

https://youtu.be/Rg58d8opQKA

Old 11-30-2015, 05:21 PM

641 posts, read 802,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowie101 View Post
If I may, not wanting to read 163 pages, can someone sum up some of the conclusions arrived at? For instance, what cities have you all agreed to be "black meccas" and which are agreed upon to be at least "black utopias"?

...I mean besides Atlanta.

I ask in all sincerness, but I have to now post a URL to a Key and Peele skit that this thread reminds me of.

https://youtu.be/Rg58d8opQKA

I think the consensus for Black Mecca is: Atl and DC with Atlanta in the lead

I think the consensus for utopia was: Atl, DC, Hou, Dal, NYC, Philly, Clt, Bmore, Chi. Pretty much anywhere where there is a substantial amount (raw numbers and/or percentage) of blacks doing well for themselves. Utopia is subjective so its harder to say.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:47 PM

24 posts, read 31,344 times
Thanks for that. So comparing against the following list, was there no consensus about any of the following?: Detroit, New Orleans, Memphis, Newark, Cleveland, St. Louis, and Cinn, Jackson MS, Charleston, SC, Miami?

Blackest cities in the US
1. Detroit
2. Baltimore
3. Memphis
4. New Orleans
5. Newark
6. Atlanta
7. Cleveland
8. DC
9. St Louis
10. Cincinnati 45.3%

Old 12-01-2015, 12:14 AM

9,682 posts, read 9,402,860 times
Quote:
Thanks for that. So comparing against the following list, was there no consensus about any of the following?: Detroit, New Orleans, Memphis, Newark, Cleveland, St. Louis, and Cinn, Jackson MS, Charleston, SC, Miami?

1. Detroit
2. Baltimore
3. Memphis
4. New Orleans
5. Newark
6. Atlanta
7. Cleveland
8. DC
9. St Louis
10. Cincinnati 45.3%
Cincinnati city population: 298,000

Old 12-01-2015, 06:53 AM

Quote:

1. Detroit
2. Baltimore
3. Memphis
4. New Orleans
5. Newark
6. Atlanta
7. Cleveland
8. DC
9. St Louis
10. Cincinnati 45.3%
Most of those other cities were discussed at some point. Just do a search within this thread.

Old 12-01-2015, 08:42 AM

32,108 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJB327 View Post
I think the consensus for Black Mecca is: Atl and DC with Atlanta in the lead
I don't think there was any consensus that Atlanta was in the lead. The numbers suggest the reverse. The only objective metric Atlanta beats DC on is the number and percentage of Black people. It's an overall Blacker metro than DC. DC, however, has more Black professionals, more top Black-owned firms, a higher median income even after adjusting for COL, lower poverty, higher educational attainment, etc.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I don't think there was any consensus that Atlanta was in the lead. The numbers suggest the reverse. The only objective metric Atlanta beats DC on is the number and percentage of Black people. It's an overall Blacker metro than DC. DC, however, has more Black professionals, more top Black-owned firms, a higher median income even after adjusting for COL, lower poverty, higher educational attainment, etc.
From previous posts, I think he was including some cultural/entertainment factors. Either way, I think it's DC with Atlanta and NYC very close behind for the top three overall myself. But Atlanta is most often called the Black Mecca; DC is the nation's capital and NYC is so damn huge and diverse, so it's hard to consider either one a mecca for any particular group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City