Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 08:50 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,341,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
And, again, the British Museum and Louvre are not in North America.

DC is not considered a major global art center, so it would be ridiculous to assume it would have heavy representation, or to assume that omission of DC is some scandalous affair. The National Gallery of Art is the only real top-tier art institution in DC, and even the National Gallery wouldn't rank with the world's top museums.
Read the article, the Tate is supposedly the greatest in the world for programming and Moma is the leading cultural destination of the year in the entire world

I am done arguing this ,any argument that states the the National gallery of Art, the only museum in the new world with an original painting by da vinci and has one of the great art collections in the world isnt a top tier art gallery or the national air and space museum with the Apollo 11 lunar module that was the first to land on the moon or the x1 or wright brothers plane is less important culturally as a destination than a museum with bjork and liechtenstein and warhol and johns is a hopeless argument.

This survey lists history museums, museums of human rights, museums of tolerance, design museums yet doesnt mention even one of the great museums in DC ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 08:58 AM

37,307 posts, read 39,665,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
I have never heard of this "leading cultural destinations" but this list is horrible, a modernist art museum like Moma ranks over the National Gallery of Art, National Air and Space museum, The Smithsonian, The Newseum, The Library of Congress, Vietnam and WW2 memorials,Hirshorn museum and sculpture garden, National Museum of Natural History, National Building Museum etc.

Washington DC is not even represented here????

Ridiculous and a group with an obvious anti american agenda
Probably has a lot to do with the programming and curating. It's not that unreasonable that the programming and curation at DC museums might not be the most engaging or dynamic though I suspect this will change as the city/metro continues to grow and prosper.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:17 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,945,168 times
Quote:
It is ridiculous when you compare seeing the Apollo 11 lunar module , the spaceflight that landed the first humans on the Moon, or "Chicago" he first aircraft to fly around the world or "The Spirit of St. Louis" ,replicas of the lunar space suit, The X-1 the first manned airplane to exceed the speed of sound , the Wright brothers plane from kitty hawk, space ship one etc, to seeing warhols soup cans or bjorks bizarre outfits at MOMA.

This list isnt anti american or political? The Canadian center for human rights is a more important north american cultural destination than the National Air and Space museum? The reason alot of the destinations are american is because they are only considering choices between America and Canada, Mexico has its own category, and all of the american choices are very condescending towards Americans in my opinion. We have some great museums in this country

Even if you are talking just about museums for art, look at the european choices, seeing The Parthenon Sculptures, The Rosetta stone, Venus de Milo, Mona Lisa, the Sutton hoo exhibit , original Renoirs,Rembrandts,Degas, etc at the British museum or the Louvre ranks lower as cultural destination than seeing Tracy Emims dirty bed at the Tate?

The British Museum and the Louvre are part of any trip I have ever taken to London And Paris, and any list that doesnt includes the National Gallery of Art, National Air and Space museum, The Smithsonian, The Newseum, The Library of Congress, National Museum of Natural History, and Washington DC for museums and culture is an absurd list
If you look at the list it had the Canadian Center for Human rights as an Emerging cultural destination - not that it exceeded the National Air and Space Museum or probably scores of other cultural destinations in N.A.. A lot of the criteria for Mexico were also based on emerging categories. The list of established cultural destinations is still squarely on the American side so I don't understand why you are going ballistic here lol.. As Nola pointed out as well, why would you be including European/Non N.A cultural destinations they aren't in N.A.. Obviously if we were to rank cultural destinations globally the list would change and actually be less American dominated than a N.A ranking.

Also this is just the organization responsible for claiming what is culture and choosing the criteria. I think some are bogus and the list is narrowly focused anyway (including my own city of Toronto's win - I mean best hotel for art lol REALLY who cares I go to the Gladstone to get smashed not to look at art - There's a far better art institution in Toronto than the Gladstone).. Moreover, there are many other cultural criteria about a destination than just art museums for crying out loud. With that said, who cares man its a silly list. There are a billion of them and any of those lists can be designed to favour certain cities over others.. No sweat..

For me anyway the two leading overall cultural destinations in N.A are NYC and Mexico City and it ain't just about art museums - its the whole deal.. Everyone else is just fighting for 'specialty' cultural distinction. Don't worry, I'm a tourist and agree, whether D.C has an institution on an arbitrary list or not is irrelevant - its a great place to visit for museums and historical attractions from a tourist perspective so no problems man! Awww Virtual Hug

Last edited by fusion2; 10-12-2015 at 09:31 AM..

Old 10-12-2015, 09:57 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,382,127 times
Quote:
Read the article, the Tate is supposedly the greatest in the world for programming and Moma is the leading cultural destination of the year in the entire world
I fail to see what is so controversial about this. The Tate Modern is world-famous for its programming. It's arguably the world's leading Kunsthalle (a space with no permanent collection). MOMA is the world's leading modern art museum.

So what is the big deal if the world's most prominent center for temporary exhibitions has the best programming, and the top modern art museum on earth is considered the leading cultural destination? Seems pretty logical to me. If anything the awards could be criticized as awarding the most obvious institutions.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:16 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,938,223 times
People don't have to agree...we're free to like what we like. Rankings like this are subjective, possibly not without bias, and, really, does it influence what museums perhaps the majority of people choose to visit? I think not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City