Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has Philly been catching up to Boston in desirability?
Yes, Philly has closed the gap 58 42.03%
No, the gap is as big as ever. 80 57.97%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 08:24 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times

Advertisements

To the topic, it shocks me that there would even be a gap considering Philly's history, size, and contributions to the US. I am from Boston and have always considered it to be a small coastal city that just happens to be the world's most prominent medical and educational center.

I also consider Philly to be a close number 2 or 3 (NYC is there too) in the top schools of the world category, it should be exploding in prominence.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:36 AM

7,271 posts, read 10,601,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
To the topic, it shocks me that there would even be a gap considering Philly's history, size, and contributions to the US. I am from Boston and have always considered it to be a small coastal city that just happens to be the world's most prominent medical and educational center.

I also consider Philly to be a close number 2 or 3 (NYC is there too) in the top schools of the world category, it should be exploding in prominence.
I think you're exactly right, which Is why Boston is such an excellent model for Philly. The institutions are there, but they need to be utilized better.

It's not a matter of schools like Penn and Drexel having to be exactly like Harvard and MIT, but as I noted before, using the same concept of higher education and medical institutions to anchor research, drive innovation and finally commercialization of new technology is absolutely something that Philly can find great success in. There are tons of parallels between Cambridge and University City (West Philly). It's a matter of Philly focusing on and marketing those assets better to a global audience, and it's finally doing just that.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I think you're exactly right, which Is why Boston is such an excellent model for Philly. The institutions are there, but they need to be utilized better.

It's not a matter of schools like Penn and Drexel having to be exactly like Harvard and MIT, but as I noted before, using the same concept of higher education and medical institutions to anchor research, drive innovation and finally commercialization of new technology is absolutely something that Philly can find great success in. There are tons of parallels between Cambridge and University City (West Philly). It's a matter of Philly focusing on and marketing those assets better to a global audience, and it's finally doing just that.
It needs to keep its graduates from leaving after graduation. It needs to make sure that it has great safe neighborhoods with attractive housing. All those Philly rowhouses could be a great draw.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I think this mostly stems from the fact that Boston has such a large Irish population. We were told at our very first BSA meeting that we were NOT to go to South Boston under any circumstances (this is the late 90s, btw). Of all ethnic Whites, African Americans have had the most fractious relationship with Irish Americans.
They were essentially in competition with each other for much of the 20th century.

Old 11-03-2015, 09:01 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
This has devlved into mostly drivel...

I do believe that Philly has made significant improvement and still has many aspoects to continue to work on.

Boston i more polished and further along as a whole; I do think Philly has been closing the gap an Boston has not stopped.

I agree with Dude that there are many aspects of Boston that can be modeled and leveraged for Philly

Philly still needs to be better at attracting jobs, retaining educated talent, and cleaning up more neighborhoods as well as the city schools

Philly has about as much good and more bad so proportionally as a lightly larger place it has more bad in the relative sense (crime, poverty, under-educated, etc.)

While I do think Philly can be a little more fun as a city, Boston is no sloutch and that is maybe the biggest advantage (maybe food today too) I can persoanlly feel good about making. Philly has come a long way and believe is the right trajectory and so is Boston. All thi bravado doesnt really addres th quetion nor add substance to the conversation.

I stand by my original post in that I feel that Philly is CLOSING the gap, that said it still has pains to overcome and many aspects of Boston can be and should be leveraged

IMHO two great cities today, yesterday, and tomorrow

Old 11-03-2015, 09:45 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,463,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I think this mostly stems from the fact that Boston has such a large Irish population. We were told at our very first BSA meeting that we were NOT to go to South Boston under any circumstances (this is the late 90s, btw). Of all ethnic Whites, African Americans have had the most fractious relationship with Irish Americans.
The Italians would have almost certainly fit this bill as well. The difference is the different times of gentrification. The traditionally Italian neighborhood of the North End gentrified during the 90s, whereas South Boston didn't gentrify until the 2000s. If you were to go to South Boston now, you'd find it to be a very, very different place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
For sure...I think the main focus for urban universities in our new tech/biotech economy is to push collaboration and generate new ideas. Boston's been going crazy with the number of "innovation centers" being built by universities, cities (Boston & Cambridge), and even private companies. It doesn't have to be Harvard or MIT creating the next big thing. EMC Corporation (being bought by Dell for $67 billion) was created by Northeastern grads. The pioneering music-sharing software, Napster, was also created at Northeastern. It's just about getting the right people in the right place at the right time. If universities can push this sort of future development & collaboration, they can do a lot for the institution and the community.

Old 11-03-2015, 09:51 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
The Italians would have almost certainly fit this bill as well. The difference is the different times of gentrification. The traditionally Italian neighborhood of the North End gentrified during the 90s, whereas South Boston didn't gentrify until the 2000s. If you were to go to South Boston now, you'd find it to be a very, very different place.

and either Italian or Irish both cities have had and do have similar populations and proportions.

Both have their racial black eye and both have had large Irish and Italian influences; the compositions are nearly the same.

I dont get Bajans point

If Southies are racist then it leads to better economics for Boston because Philly has less Irish racial tension - doesnt pass the sniff test to me

Old 11-03-2015, 09:53 AM

32,108 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
The African American-Italian American relationship, while far from peachy, has historically been better than the African American-Irish American relationship. That's obviously not saying a lot.

Old 11-03-2015, 09:58 AM

32,108 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I dont get Bajans point
Because you're not Black...

I didn't say Southie was racist. My point was that many Black people felt uneasy about going there because of a history of Irish/African American conflict (which W.E.B. DuBois wrote about in the Philadelphia Negro). There is a perception in the African American community that the Irish really, really despise Black people. Whether that is true or not is a different question.

My post was in direct response to nei. It had nothing do with the relationship between racism and economic progress.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:04 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,218,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
So Pittsburgh and Minneapolis are "white hideaways" too. Got it!
The discussion for my intents and purposes is very specific. Its not about race,discrimination,segration or judging anyone or anybody, but rather WHY Bostons per capita stats are exceptionally high in comparison to its peers. IMO that question was answered. 1.demographics 2. location

You bringing up Minneapolis further cements the demographic argument. Its per capita income is roughly 20% higher than its neighbor Milwaukee, in fact Minny has one of the highest per capita incomes in the US(Minn is only 7% african american).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City