Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has Philly been catching up to Boston in desirability?
Yes, Philly has closed the gap 58 42.03%
No, the gap is as big as ever. 80 57.97%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 10:12 AM

2,726 posts, read 6,115,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
People are STILL going on with the "Boston is richer than Philly because it is more racist" theme? Oh, boy...

The % black in DC and NYC metros are higher than in Philly, yet both metros are wealthier. How do the Philly homers explain that one? Does this also mean that Philly is more racist than DC and NYC?
How do Philly homers explain the fact that Boston has both a larger Asian population, and a larger Latino population % wise?

Using Philly logic, that tells us Philadelphia is racist towards Asians and Latinos.

Boston (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Philadelphia (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 11-13-2015, 10:15 AM

7,737 posts, read 5,520,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
How do Philly homers explain the fact that Boston has both a larger Asian population, and a larger Latino population % wise?

Using Philly logic, that tells us Philadelphia is racist towards Asians and Latinos.

Boston (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Philadelphia (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

So you stoop to Mr. Farts level?

Old 11-13-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
So you stoop to Mr. Farts level?
Play the race card, expect a rebuttal. Very simple.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:37 AM

32,113 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
People are STILL going on with the "Boston is richer than Philly because it is more racist" theme? Oh, boy...
Who made that claim? I had to go back to the beginning of the thread but I didn't see that.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:03 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,701,215 times
Lol. This thread gets more ridiculous every time I look at it.

Fact of the matter is, with Philadelphia's recent resurgence, it is indeed closing the gap on Boston, but it has not closed the gap. Boston is also not standing still, and will not be harmed by Philadelphia' resurgence. They'll just be on more equal playing fields - if they already aren't.

End thread.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:12 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,343,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Who made that claim? I had to go back to the beginning of the thread but I didn't see that.
That was the original claim at the beginning of the thread. A Philly poster claimed that Philly was poorer than Boston because Boston had fewer blacks. The claim was that Boston was more racist against blacks than Philly, and this made Boston more prosperous than Philly.

Amazingly, others even stood up to support this theory.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:17 AM

3,867 posts, read 5,292,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Lol. This thread gets more ridiculous every time I look at it.

Fact of the matter is, with Philadelphia's recent resurgence, it is indeed closing the gap on Boston, but it has not closed the gap. Boston is also not standing still, and will not be harmed by Philadelphia' resurgence. They'll just be on more equal playing fields - if they already aren't.

End thread.
Which when you look at it would return Philly to its rightful place. Philly being the larger city by a significant gap (At all levels: City, Metro and CSA) should really be ahead of Boston, with Boston trying to close the gap.

Personally I dont find this supposed "gap" to be as pronounced as people make it out to be. Philly ran out ahead of Boston in many areas, Boston closed the gap and really is a city that punches above its weight. I have always viewed the two cities are more or less equals, residing at in the same tier when it comes to US cities.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It started to come off the rails at about post #64.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
So what is it? Boston is just this unique economic powerhouse ? Smart people educated people as far as the eye can see? Or is it that Boston basically shut its doors over the years to poor striuggling african americans?

Old 11-13-2015, 11:35 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,701,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Which when you look at it would return Philly to its rightful place. Philly being the larger city by a significant gap (At all levels: City, Metro and CSA) should really be ahead of Boston, with Boston trying to close the gap.

Personally I dont find this supposed "gap" to be as pronounced as people make it out to be. Philly ran out ahead of Boston in many areas, Boston closed the gap and really is a city that punches above its weight. I have always viewed the two cities are more or less equals, residing at in the same tier when it comes to US cities.
I agree. Boston punches above it's weight and Philadelphia under it's weight. Philadelphia declined longer and is only recently finding it's stride and returning to grace.

I agree they're definitely about equal.

Old 11-13-2015, 12:50 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,218,011 times
Quote:

The % black in DC and NYC metros are higher than in Philly, yet both metros are wealthier. How do the Philly homers explain that one? Does this also mean that Philly is more racist than DC and NYC?
It would probably mean that DC's economy is propped up by the Feds. And Manhattan's wealth is highly supplemented by being the national and international hub of banking and business.

Dont be daft. Take NYC/DC. out of the mix as they are anomalies DC(Fed Fun-land) NYC(worlds corporate HQ)

Compare contrast the wealthiest US cities list. And compare demographics. After you are done researching that I defy you to tell me race doesnt play a part in wealth and per capita statistics.

Last edited by rainrock; 11-13-2015 at 01:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City