Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Houston vs Philadelphia
Houston 185 42.43%
Philadelphia 251 57.57%
Voters: 436. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 01:08 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,876,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Yea, I think he went overboard from you saying Texas got snubbed, versus just Houston. I see his nitpick, but that still makes sense that a Texas publication would get upset that Houston didn't make the list--as I'm sure it would also feel snubbed if Houston made the list, but Dallas didn't.
I guess everything is bigger in Texas except reading comprehension and logic. The reason that I mentioned it was because he criticized P2V for posting links that fit his agenda, but then posted that "Texas Monthly" was upset about Houston (which I think is located in the state of Texas) being snubbed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 01:29 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,262,211 times
Philly restauranteurs invade the Big Apple & DC. And they love it!

Philly restaurants take Manhattan
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...et-used-to-it/

Old 05-02-2016, 07:14 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Philly #6, Houston #5:
The 10 best food cities in America, ranked | The Washington Post

Philly #14, Houston #1:
Houston - America

Philly #9, Houston #8:
https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation...ies-in-america

Philly #12, Houston #7:
15 Best Foodie Destinations in the USA | U.S. News Travel

Old 05-02-2016, 08:42 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oop!

They put Cheez Whiz on sandwiches in Philly. No thanks.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:42 PM

I've never had a hard time getting a good meal in either city. It's great they are both being recognized for their restaurant scene. There are three differences I've found that distinguish them:

1. The number of outstanding restaurants within a 15 block radius of where I live (from Fairmount to East Passyunk) is overwhelming. Housing has similar offerings, though few are walkable destinations for most Houstonians.

2. Philly's byob culture permits outstanding dining at a considerably lower cost, for anyone who enjoys wine with their meal. Minus the cost of wine, along with tax and tip results in considerable savings in a meal out. And on top of it, no corkage: https://tableagent.com/article/phila...ob-phenomenon/

3. While both cities offers outstanding dining, my impressions are that the Philly has the more adventurous culinary scene of the two. Philadelphia is the home of one Iron Chef Master (Jose Garces) and two Top Chef winners (Kevin Spraga and Nicholas Elmi). It's a given that chefs in those programs prepare great food in order to qualify for the competition. The winners are those who are bring creativity and innovation to their craft. All three have restaurants around town, with Garces and Sbraga opening restaurants in other cities. They exemplify the risk taking culture in Philly's restaurant scene. Houston may have winners in those competitions as well; I'm not sure.

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 05-02-2016 at 08:58 PM..

Old 05-02-2016, 09:12 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Oop!

Yeah that's an optional topping for a Philly cheesesteak. I've had good cheesesteaks there but not with that as a topping.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Oop!

"Git a rope."

Old 05-02-2016, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I've never had a hard time getting a good meal in either city. It's great they are both being recognized for their restaurant scene. There are three differences I've found that distinguish them:

1. The number of outstanding restaurants within a 15 block radius of where I live (from Fairmount to East Passyunk) is overwhelming. Housing has similar offerings, though few are walkable destinations for most Houstonians.

2. Philly's byob culture permits outstanding dining at a considerably lower cost, for anyone who enjoys wine with their meal. Minus the cost of wine, along with tax and tip results in considerable savings in a meal out. And on top of it, no corkage: https://tableagent.com/article/phila...ob-phenomenon/

3. While both cities offers outstanding dining, my impressions are that the Philly has the more adventurous culinary scene of the two. Philadelphia is the home of one Iron Chef Master (Jose Garces) and two Top Chef winners (Kevin Spraga and Nicholas Elmi). It's a given that chefs in those programs prepare great food in order to qualify for the competition. The winners are those who are bring creativity and innovation to their craft. All three have restaurants around town, with Garces and Sbraga opening restaurants in other cities. They exemplify the risk taking culture in Philly's restaurant scene. Houston may have winners in those competitions as well; I'm not sure.
Houston has one of the most vibrant, "adventurous," diverse culinary scenes in the US. I have been to many major cities in the US (including Philly) and Houston's restaurant offerings are simply hard to beat - which is why Houston consistently ranks very highly in all sorts of "foodie contests" nationwide.

Apparently, being able to walk from your house to various amenities is very important to you - and that's OK. However, you need to understand that lots and lots of people living quite happily adventurous lives do not consider that to be of any importance.

By the way, you can BYOB to many Houston restaurants. And the reason that Philly has so many BYOB spots is because of onerous state laws which make it difficult for owners to get a license to sell alcohol. While it's great to be able to save money, that's not all there is to drinking a glass of wine with dinner. It's also nice not to have to worry about bringing a bottle of vino with you and just ordering a glass or bottle when you get to the restaurant. In other words, it just doesn't seem like that big a deal one way or the other to me - unless you forget to BYOB and suddenly find you can't enjoy it with your meal because the restaurant couldn't get a license.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:08 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Dude, I was joking about Denver. Seriously, slow down and read it again. Wow!
Of course the Denver thing was a joke. A bad joke at that. I see you ignored my explanation of why the article/publication felt Houston was snubbed. Or maybe you have a hard time with reading comprehension and logic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
It's pretty widely accepted that Houston is the best food city in the state, hence the "big deal" over the snub.
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Yea, I think he went overboard from you saying Texas got snubbed, versus just Houston. I see his nitpick, but that still makes sense that a Texas publication would get upset that Houston didn't make the list--as I'm sure it would also feel snubbed if Houston made the list, but Dallas didn't.
You obviously don't see my "nitpick".. Why would TM feel snubbed if Dallas didn't make the list? Dallas isn't nearly as recognized or popular in the food scene as Houston is. If you'll notice, they didn't make a fuss about San Antonio (a city larger than Dallas, in case you weren't aware) not making the list.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Houston has one of the most vibrant, "adventurous," diverse culinary scenes in the US.
So you say.
Quote:
Apparently, being able to walk from your house to various amenities is very important to you
It is. It's one of the reasons I moved to a dense walkable city.
Quote:
By the way, you can BYOB to many Houston restaurants. And the reason that Philly has so many BYOB spots is because of onerous state laws which make it difficult for owners to get a license to sell alcohol.
I don't think you get the picture. Houston has no where near as many byo's as Philly - there are more 200 in Center City alone. And the handful that do charge a corkage. The reason there are so many in Philly has less to do with liquor laws and more to do with restaurant size. I went to a neighborhood Greek spot last night that has about a dozen tables. It costs a lot to get a liquor license and there is not enough business to cover not only the cost of the license but also the space a bar and wine storage would take up (and the tables it would displace). So byo policies permit the city's scores of cozy and charming little restaurants with a handful of tables to focus on the food while still being hospitable to those of us who enjoy a bottle of wine with dinner. If it sounds like a burden to you, then it's a burden to you. Apparently other cities are looking at Philly and thinking they want some of what we've got: Like a Nice Cabernet, Every City Wants a Sip of Philly's BYOB Culture - Citified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City