Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Houston vs Philadelphia
Houston 185 42.43%
Philadelphia 251 57.57%
Voters: 436. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 11:56 AM

76 posts, read 101,981 times

Advertisements

I recently visited the Northern Virginia/DC area for the first time and fell in love with the vibe. Or maybe I just fell in love with the East Coast in general.

Unfortunately the DC area is very expensive for me considering I'm just starting out my career, but I'm hoping the charm I felt can be experienced in a surrounding state/city. If I can still get to DC relatively quickly, even better. I started another topic in this section, Houston v Baltimore v Norfolk. Baltimore appears to be out of the running, Norfolk is still a consideration but the low salary for my field is worrisome.

A small background on me for the little it may be worth: I've lived in Houston for nearly my entire life and while I do love this city, I'm a bit tired of it. I have also lived out in Georgia for 6 months, Oklahoma for 6 months, El Paso, TX for three years, then moved back to Houston. I don't think the south is for me. I'm single, female, mid-20's, and pursing nursing (and will be continuing education so schools are very important wherever I go). I know Houston is a great place for nurses, but surely there is life outside Texas...

So for Houston, TX vs Philadelphia, PA I'm looking for your opinion...
-Which is the most diverse in terms of race? I like an area to be so diverse, I can't tell what the majority is.
-Which has the most crime?
-Which has the best Universities? Good community colleges?
-Which has the best housing, or in my case, selection for apartments? (In other words, is the cost worth what you get or can I expect to pay $1300 for a studio apartment like I saw in DC...)
-Which has the best nightlife?
-Which has the best weather?
-Which is the nicer looking city?
-Which has more things to do (museums, attractions, etc)?
-Which, do you think, would be the better city for a single female, nurse, in her mid-20's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 01:00 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
I still think you should seriously consider Richmond. But as far as this match-up goes:

Houston is more diverse.

For violent crime, within the city proper Philadelphia's crime rate is just a tad bit higher but they are essentially even on that front: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ime_rate_(2014)

Philadelphia has the advantage on higher education easily.

In terms of best housing, Houston is cheaper and has newer inventory.

Not sure about nightlife.

For weather, that depends on what you like. Houston is warmer and muggier, and Philadelphia has four seasons and gets more snow in the winter.

Nicer looking is subjective; Houston is newer and has less blight. Philadelphia is older and grittier.

You won't have a shortage of things to do in either city, but I think Philadelphia edges out Houston here, especially considering its location.

Whichever is better for you completely depends on your preferences.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:02 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,889,291 times
Where's the poll? Don't we have a right to vote

Old 11-10-2015, 01:28 PM

283 posts, read 463,389 times
For a nurse, both cities would be excellent choices. Both Houston and Philadelphia have huge medical complexes right in the city. I'm less familiar with Houston, but Philadelphia has CHOP, HUP, Thomas Jefferson, and Hanneman Hospitals all in Center City, among many smaller healthcare centers. A lot of this depends on your preferences. If you want to drive everywhere, Houston might be better. Philadelphia has far better public transit and is more walkable. Both cities are relatively cheap. Houston is newer, and Philly is older. As for nightlife I can't really speak for Houston, but my instincts would have me imagine that Philly is probably better because it has the density and a critical mass of young people in the city to make bars and nightclubs accessible to people without driving. I'd argue that Philly has better museums and cultural attractions, as it has always been a city of art. The Philadelphia Museum of art, Barnes Foundation, and Rodin Museum are all world class, and many others are very good as well. Not to mention the whole colonial history thing that Philly has going on that Houston doesn't. But take my opinion with a grain of salt - I am from Philly after all!

Old 11-11-2015, 07:06 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,753,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan95 View Post
For a nurse, both cities would be excellent choices. Both Houston and Philadelphia have huge medical complexes right in the city. I'm less familiar with Houston, but Philadelphia has CHOP, HUP, Thomas Jefferson, and Hanneman Hospitals all in Center City, among many smaller healthcare centers. A lot of this depends on your preferences. If you want to drive everywhere, Houston might be better. Philadelphia has far better public transit and is more walkable. Both cities are relatively cheap. Houston is newer, and Philly is older. As for nightlife I can't really speak for Houston, but my instincts would have me imagine that Philly is probably better because it has the density and a critical mass of young people in the city to make bars and nightclubs accessible to people without driving. I'd argue that Philly has better museums and cultural attractions, as it has always been a city of art. The Philadelphia Museum of art, Barnes Foundation, and Rodin Museum are all world class, and many others are very good as well. Not to mention the whole colonial history thing that Philly has going on that Houston doesn't. But take my opinion with a grain of salt - I am from Philly after all!
Just a nitpick. There's also Pennsylvania Hospital, also in Center City, which has been part of Penn Med Health System for about 15 years.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:34 AM

9,859 posts, read 6,570,632 times
Please delete this article hahaha.

But anyway I'll go one by one

Diverse-Houston
Crime-Philadelphia (from reputation, but Houston's murder rate is pretty high).
Universities-That's a tough one. Both have great Universities within proximity.
Housing-Houston
Nightlife-Both. I've enjoyed clubbing in both cities. But Houston is more diverse so your chances of ending up with a foreign chick are higher if you're into that. ROFLMAO
Weather-If you like heat, Houston. If you like cold, Philly.
Nicer looking-I'd have to go with Houston. But that was hard.
More things to do-Both. I think Philly has more famous museums, but Houston has a good museum scene too. Both have plenty of attractions, but different types.
Better city for single nurse-Houston!!! With the huge hospital scene you have that. Go a night out on Montrose and you won't regret it.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:45 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Please delete this article hahaha.

But anyway I'll go one by one

Diverse-Houston
Crime-Philadelphia (from reputation, but Houston's murder rate is pretty high).
Universities-That's a tough one. Both have great Universities within proximity.
Housing-Houston
Nightlife-Both. I've enjoyed clubbing in both cities. But Houston is more diverse so your chances of ending up with a foreign chick are higher if you're into that. ROFLMAO
Weather-If you like heat, Houston. If you like cold, Philly.
Nicer looking-I'd have to go with Houston. But that was hard.
More things to do-Both. I think Philly has more famous museums, but Houston has a good museum scene too. Both have plenty of attractions, but different types.
Better city for single nurse-Houston!!! With the huge hospital scene you have that. Go a night out on Montrose and you won't regret it.

There's nothing "tough" about that. Philadelphia wins that handily with Penn, Drexel, Temple, Villanova, Bryn Mawr, Haverford, Swarthmore, etc.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:58 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,820,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan95 View Post
Agree with everything except for the fact that Philly's large museums are basically on par with Houston's, but I'll agree that Philly does retain an artistic edge to Houston, has many more pop-up art installations and funky places to visit to view art around the city and definitely has more cultural and historical attractions to be visited.

That, and although colonial history is cool, Texas history is way more savage and wild to learn about as a 7th grader. State History in Pennsylvania middle schools is about a bunch of laws being written and the formation of the U.S., whereas State History in Texas middle schools is about feuding cannibalistic native american tribes and fighting mexico at the alamo and cowboys, etc.

Lastly, you didn't say anything against the Texas Medical Center in Houston, but since you talked up Philly's medical institutions, I'll point out that the TMC per their Wiki page is "the largest medical center in the world with one of the highest densities of clinical facilities for patient care, basic science, and translational research. The center contains 54 medicine-related institutions, including 21 hospitals and eight specialty institutions, eight academic and research institutions, four medical schools, six nursing schools, and schools of dentistry, public health, pharmacy, and other health-related practices." I'm sure OP knew that because she's from Houston, but suffice to say, both places will do just fine.

Old 11-11-2015, 06:55 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,688,712 times
-Which is the most diverse in terms of race? Philadelphia

-Which has the most crime? They're close, but Philadelphia probably has slightly more.

-Which has the best Universities? Good community colleges? Philadelphia easily.

-Which has the best housing, or in my case, selection for apartments? Houston might be slightly cheaper, but you can definitely find housing for this price in Philadelphia.

-Which has the best nightlife? Philadelphia.
-Which has the best weather? Houston for heat. Philadelphia for four seasons.

-Which is the nicer looking city? IMO, Philadelphia.

-Which has more things to do (museums, attractions, etc)? Philadelphia for sure.

-Which, do you think, would be the better city for a single female, nurse, in her mid-20's? Both would be fine, but if you prefer a walkable. urban city, I would go with Philadelphia.

Last edited by JMT; 02-14-2016 at 05:02 PM..

Old 11-11-2015, 08:24 PM

66 posts, read 71,317 times
-Which is the most diverse in terms of race? Both very diverse, but Houston I believe is a bit more diverse (gotta love the Mexican border).

-Which has the most crime? They're about even.

-Which has the best Universities? Good community colleges? Philadelphia is up there with NYC, Boston, SF and Chicago for education.

-Which has the best housing, or in my case, selection for apartments? Easily Philadelphia. Its among the most affordable and walkable in the entire country with NYC, Boston, SF and Chicago. -Which has the best nightlife? Depends on what you like. Houston for clubs and Philadelphia for bars. I think Philadelphia has more varied nightlife options though, and unlike Houston, you can walk or use public transit for most of them.

-Which has the best weather? Houston is generally sunnier and hotter, and Philadelphia is colder and snowier, but not by harsh standards like Chicago would be. Its more mild four seasons.

-Which is the nicer looking city? Both about the same clean wise, although the edge might go to Houston because its neighborhoods are newer.

-Which has more things to do (museums, attractions, etc)? Philadelphia has a lot more to offer in the metro any time of year, and its also close to other Northeast cities like NYC, DC, Boston, Pocono Mountains, ocean, Canada, Adirondacks, Pittsburgh, etc.

-Which, do you think, would be the better city for a single female, nurse, in her mid-20's? Philadelphia. Its probably easier to find a job in nursing there as well given the medical reputation Philly has. Top 3.

In Philadelphia you will find a typical Northeast city but more affordable than its Northeast counterparts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City