Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Houston vs Philadelphia
Houston 185 42.43%
Philadelphia 251 57.57%
Voters: 436. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 09:44 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
If Houston is such an international Mecca for food too, can you point me in the direction to a neighborhood full of central and Eastern European food? Like some good piergoi places or where to sit down and eat with the Russians? I can tell you that Port Richmond for Polish food and Bustleton Ave. for Russian. You can find ethnic grocery stores, bakeries, restaurants, etc. I assume there is similar things in Houston?
https://www.houstoniamag.com/article...an-restaurants
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 05:18 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,038,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Thank you

Old 02-13-2018, 10:38 PM

14,183 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
Thank you
I think after this, it's probably better to say that on diversity of cuisines, it's a wash between the two cities. The differences probably lie in the number of establishments one finds serving a given cuisine. There is a sizable Russian immigrant presence in far Northeast Philadelphia, enough to support at least two Russian supermarkets (one of which I stop by whenever I'm up that way) and a dozen or so Russian restaurants, if not more. The tone of the deck for that Houstonia article comes off to me as, "Look! We have Eastern European restaurants too!"

What we have in Philadelphia is Eastern European neighborhoods. And I do think that the presence of a population that shares the culture does make a difference.

I can use barbecue as a counterexample.

I come from one of the country's barbecue capitals, the only one that's not in the South. There are restaurants here that serve barbecue. Some of them are good, and a couple of them are great. But the people who run them are transplants, and save for a pocket of South Jersey near the region's one historic African-American municipality (Lawnside, a station on the Underground Railroad) that used to have a slew of small pit joints, there's really no place in the Philadelphia region where people truly understand barbecue culture or the finer points of the craft. (I actually had ribs once at a place, now blessedly closed, in an upper North Philly neighborhood that had a slew of "best of" awards from suburban newspaper chains on its wall - and this place parboiled its ribs.) Thus I tell people that we live in a barbecue desert in Philly. It's not that you can't get it; it's that for the most part, they don't get it.

Old 02-14-2018, 04:24 AM

I tend to hold WalletHub studies at arm's length, because I did find a study of theirs on a subject I know well (mass transit) used apples-and-oranges comparisons to come up with its rankings, but not all of that site's studies are therefore useless. Here's one that isn't, and it's relevant to this topic:

2018's Most & Least Ethnically Diverse Cities in the U.S. | WalletHub

No. 28 Houston crushes No. 104 Philadelphia, which isn't even the most ethnically diverse city in its metro; that honor goes to No. 95 Camden. No. 74 Trenton also outranks it; though it's now part of the New York CSA, it's still within the Philadelphia media market.

Other cities in the near hinterlands that outrank it are No. 54 Allentown, No. 65 Lancaster and No. 98 Reading.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:20 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,038,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I think after this, it's probably better to say that on diversity of cuisines, it's a wash between the two cities. The differences probably lie in the number of establishments one finds serving a given cuisine. There is a sizable Russian immigrant presence in far Northeast Philadelphia, enough to support at least two Russian supermarkets (one of which I stop by whenever I'm up that way) and a dozen or so Russian restaurants, if not more. The tone of the deck for that Houstonia article comes off to me as, "Look! We have Eastern European restaurants too!"

What we have in Philadelphia is Eastern European neighborhoods. And I do think that the presence of a population that shares the culture does make a difference.

I can use barbecue as a counterexample.

I come from one of the country's barbecue capitals, the only one that's not in the South. There are restaurants here that serve barbecue. Some of them are good, and a couple of them are great. But the people who run them are transplants, and save for a pocket of South Jersey near the region's one historic African-American municipality (Lawnside, a station on the Underground Railroad) that used to have a slew of small pit joints, there's really no place in the Philadelphia region where people truly understand barbecue culture or the finer points of the craft. (I actually had ribs once at a place, now blessedly closed, in an upper North Philly neighborhood that had a slew of "best of" awards from suburban newspaper chains on its wall - and this place parboiled its ribs.) Thus I tell people that we live in a barbecue desert in Philly. It's not that you can't get it; it's that for the most part, they don't get it.
It's not a wash. Houston has better food overall.

Old 02-15-2018, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Eaten here lately?

The folks at the James Beard Foundation have, and they seem to be quite impressed with what they've eaten. Restaurants in this city walked away with four James Beard Awards last year, and the foundation announced two days ago that its 2018 award nominees would be announced here in Philadelphia next month.

I can think of a time when none of this would have been the case here.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:34 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Eaten here lately?

The folks at the James Beard Foundation have, and they seem to be quite impressed with what they've eaten. Restaurants in this city walked away with four James Beard Awards last year, and the foundation announced two days ago that its 2018 award nominees would be announced here in Philadelphia next month.

I can think of a time when none of this would have been the case here.
Sure but....

Oddly you seem to be forgetting when the modern food scene started in Philadelphia. Maybe that's because you were not in Philadelphia when it began. The reason we are getting these awards now is absolutely as a result of the groundwork done by giants like Perrier and Lacroix. Today everyone who got those awards is standing on their shoulders.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:41 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,262,211 times
Quote:
What qualifies you to render this assessment?

Old 02-15-2018, 08:19 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,753,785 times
Which has better nightlife/entertainment?

Old 02-16-2018, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Sure but....

Oddly you seem to be forgetting when the modern food scene started in Philadelphia. Maybe that's because you were not in Philadelphia when it began. The reason we are getting these awards now is absolutely as a result of the groundwork done by giants like Perrier and Lacroix. Today everyone who got those awards is standing on their shoulders.
I've eaten in three of the four restaurants that were regarded as the places that launched the "Restaurant Renaissance": the original Friday Saturday Sunday, the Knave of Hearts and the Astral Plane. Wait - I'd also eaten at Frog. (I never ate at its sister restaurant, the Commissary.)

I do know about the role Perrier played in elevating the standard for luxe-level dining in this city, and I did manage to make it into Le Bar Lyonnais once. I even ate at The Restaurant School, another pillar of that Restaurant Renaissance, before it moved into its current Walnut Hill home.

This is my 35th year living here. The anniversary itself falls on Sept. 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City