Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Richmond, VA 62 62.00%
Asheville, NC 38 38.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 01:11 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,917,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
I may have to stay in an extended-stay hotel for a while. Good fun.
Hmmm, wonder how these are? A quick look shows a few 2 star places starting at $77 on up to $125, 3 star places. AirB&B, I believe, has been "banned" in Asheville if if that's what you were thinking.

However, once approved, there are something like 9 new hotels going in to...you know, block those wonderful mountain views everyone loves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2015, 01:27 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,449,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Hmmm, wonder how these are? A quick look shows a few 2 star places starting at $77 on up to $125, 3 star places. AirB&B, I believe, has been "banned" in Asheville if if that's what you were thinking.

However, once approved, there are something like 9 new hotels going in to...you know, block those wonderful mountain views everyone loves.
I'd imagine that staying in an extended stay hotel or even Airbnb would be very expensive while waiting for an apartment to move into. Could easily be 3x what you'd be paying to rent somewhere. At least the poster you quoted is already in NC.

Old 12-05-2015, 05:59 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,550,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I'd imagine that staying in an extended stay hotel or even Airbnb would be very expensive while waiting for an apartment to move into. Could easily be 3x what you'd be paying to rent somewhere. At least the poster you quoted is already in NC.
The job I'd be taking in Asheville would be something like $100k/year so price is no object. And with my line of work, I can't really afford to put down many roots or have something like, say, furniture that I own.

@Port Pitt Ash: I've been staying at the Value Place in Asheville while on business. The bed is awful (thinking of getting one of those tempur-pedic sleep pads) and the shower is low-pressure, but aside from that, it's not terrible.

Old 12-05-2015, 06:22 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,449,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
The job I'd be taking in Asheville would be something like $100k/year so price is no object. And with my line of work, I can't really afford to put down many roots or have something like, say, furniture that I own.

@Port Pitt Ash: I've been staying at the Value Place in Asheville while on business. The bed is awful (thinking of getting one of those tempur-pedic sleep pads) and the shower is low-pressure, but aside from that, it's not terrible.
Oh wow, yeah then I guess it wouldn't be too bad for you then. But for someone making an average salary, it'd be a budget killer. I love living in Raleigh, I'd never even entertain the idea of leaving for Asheville...but that's just me.

Old 12-05-2015, 06:31 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,550,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Oh wow, yeah then I guess it wouldn't be too bad for you then. But for someone making an average salary, it'd be a budget killer. I love living in Raleigh, I'd never even entertain the idea of leaving for Asheville...but that's just me.
I like Raleigh too (though don't get me started on the surface roads), but I also like Asheville. But the job in Ashevile is a promotion, as right now I only make about $700/week.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:03 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,149,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
To call Asheville a college town is a bit of a stretch. When I think of college towns I think of places like Athens (35k students), Tuscaloosa (35k), Fayetteville (25k), Chapel Hill ((30k), Ann Arbor (60k) etc.
Ann Arbor 60k? The city proper is almost twice that. Plus it's in a metropolitan area of 5.3 million. Also, Chapel Hill is in the Raleigh-Durham area with a population of 2 million. So Ann Arbor and Chapel Hill differ a bit from the other cities you mentioned. Ann Arbor feels like a small-medium size city actually. It has a lot more than just a college campus btw.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:27 PM

9,704 posts, read 9,452,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Any sizable city will have multiple institutions of higher learning, but that doesn't really make them college towns. Asheville really doesn't fit the bill; in NC Chapel Hill and Boone are the classical college towns.
Why do you feel Asheville is not a college town, and I don't mean a small town, but one that is known for its institutions of higher education and student population?

Old 12-07-2015, 11:31 PM

9,704 posts, read 9,452,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
LOL you're reaching. Give it up, man...
woman

Great comeback, as usual, I can count on your in depth analysis and references.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:29 AM

37,904 posts, read 42,090,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Why do you feel Asheville is not a college town, and I don't mean a small town, but one that is known for its institutions of higher education and student population?
Because it's not known for its institutions of higher learning or for having a large student population. College towns are towns that revolve almost entirely around a large college/university and that's not Asheville at all.

Old 12-08-2015, 09:42 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,358,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Because a college town is enveloped by the culture of the college (or colleges) that are present there. You don't get that feeling in Asheville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City