Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 04:17 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,217,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
I've worked in a few of those tods. This forum, for some reason, acts as if highrises alone make a place interesting or vibrant.

That just isn't true at all.

I think compared to metro la, when you factor in ethnic enclaves, Orange County and it's tourism...
DC Metro is sleeper as a whole.

It's probably busier than most metros..

But I've taken around visitors from DC to la and they can't believe how massive and busy it is. They're overwhelmed.
In my Johnny T voice, that's nice.

It is busier than most metros, not "probably".

And to me, LA felt overwhelming due to its massive size but other than Hollywood Blvd and the Santa Monica Promenade, I was not overwhelmed by the crowd density over there. It wasn't anything new. The highways felt as busy as the DC area's but surprisingly, I didn't hear as many car horns nor did I noticed any aggressive driving compared to here in the DMV. I'll say this though, those Big Blue buses made me feel like I was in a crazy ass NYC taxi....DC Metro Buses feel way more comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2015, 09:17 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,438,977 times
Wow. Less car honking. That's so interesting.
Car honking does make a place more intense and crazier. I fully agree /sarcasm.

Where exactly in DC are crowds overwhelming? I never got that at all.

Old 12-19-2015, 09:57 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,856,011 times
If you want a big, compact urban city, NYC is in a league all by itself. There are neighborhoods far enough away from midtown or Wall Street to be considered suburbs, but they are still more urban than just about anywhere else. I love NYC for just how perfectly urban it is. And a great public transportation system.

Chicago is, in my opinion a distant but clear 2nd. Very, very urban, feels like a big bad city but with all the splendors you want. Converted warehouses turned into lofts, high rise living, gritty but stylish stretches. Glitz and glamour in spots, dangerous in others. Full very large city experience.

After that it drops again. Boston has this vibe too, but it's quite a bit smaller than NYC or Chicago. Philly is another one, and pretty big too, but it doesn't have quite as much to offer. I've had several friends move from Philly to Chicago and tell me that there is no comparison. People flock to Chicago for entertainment, festivals, etc, and abandon Philly proper to escape. NYC would be even more of a difference.

San Francisco is phenomenal, very compact and urban, vibrant, lovely, but quite a bit smaller than NYC or Chicago. It has everything but you don't feel the same size. Doesn't take much to leave the city limits.

Seattle is a nice city, has a good city feel, lots to do. But I would not call it vibrant. It's more of a chill city, and while very pleasant, it doesn't have that crackling energy you feel in NYC/Chicago.

I haven't spent much time in LA - but my understanding is that it's not very urban at all. It's huge, but it's a mass sprawl more than a compact urban feel like the others mentioned.

NOLA is a unique place, great to visit for a weekend, vibrant for sure. But there's an underlying feeling of that southern slowness, and of lower income. I love NOLA, but wouldn't live there, it's more of a beautiful, fun, kind of gimmicky place with a very particular culture. A place to enjoy, but it doesn't compare to the bigger urban centers mentioned above.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:46 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,132 posts, read 7,575,946 times
Quote:
Wow. Less car honking. That's so interesting.
Car honking does make a place more intense and crazier. I fully agree /sarcasm.

Where exactly in DC are crowds overwhelming? I never got that at all.
Crowds in LA aren't overwhelming either, stop fooling yourself bro. LA is just completely more massive than any metro not named NY. It's not more vibrant than all of them however, just an over grown expansive area with a lot of cars.

Either way this thread isn't about metro it's about city vibrancy.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:50 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,605,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post

Actually it is about metro areas. Read the OP

Old 12-19-2015, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
Actually it is about metro areas. Read the OP
Thanks I did overlook the parentheses.

Old 12-19-2015, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Crowds in LA aren't overwhelming either, stop fooling yourself bro. LA is just completely more massive than any metro not named NY. It's not more vibrant than all of them however, just an over grown expansive area with a lot of cars.

Over the metro area it is outside of nyc.

Dude, I lived in DC for 22 years. Once you get outside of a few of those tods nodes it's not vibrant at all.

Vienna?
Fairfax city?
Reston?
Rockville?
Burke?
Merrifield?

Come on.

You dc guys try to make dc into something it isn't.

Last edited by Freddy K; 12-19-2015 at 11:21 PM..

Old 12-19-2015, 11:38 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,605,261 times
Quote:
Thanks I did overlook the parentheses.
Honest mistake

Old 12-20-2015, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Over the metro area it is outside of nyc.

Dude, I lived in DC for 22 years. Once you get outside of a few of those tods nodes it's not vibrant at all.

Vienna?
Fairfax city?
Reston?
Rockville?
Burke?
Merrifield?

Come on.

You dc guys try to make dc into something it isn't.
I didn't mention DC in my post. I mentioned the LA area. Sorry if the street vibrancy of Irvine, Pasadena, or Riverside didn't give me the feeling of being in Midtown Manhattan.

Old 12-20-2015, 12:50 AM

The DC metro. Whatever.

That's what this thread is about. Metro areas.
I dont know many times people need to reminded of that.

And I think LA as city has more vibrant areas than DC city does anyway. Most of Northwest DC is kind of quiet. Same goes for NE.

And Pasadena has more vibrancy than any DC Tod node.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City