Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 02:42 PM

150 posts, read 223,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
The only way I know how to rank them objectively is by urban area density:

Los Angeles
San Francisco
New York
Miami
San Diego
New Orleans
Denver
Portland
Chicago
Seattle
DC
Houston
Philly
Boston
That's a really bad way to rank them for many reasons and the list you end up with reflects that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 02:43 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,469,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_onedayyet View Post
That's a really bad way to rank them for many reasons and the list you end up with reflects that.
hahahaha

Old 12-16-2015, 02:43 PM

150 posts, read 223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westburbsil View Post
Traveled the world, but in the U.S. here is my take

1. NYC
2. Chicago
3. DC
4 Philly
5 Boston
6 Vegas

As far as LA, I know a lot of people like to rip on L.A., but it is just beautiful. I don't consider it vibrant, full of energy at all, but more laid back, natural beauty.

Downtown is always extremely quiet and Hollywood BLVD IMO is kinda dumpy with the endless bong shops, etc.
Not a fan of Santa Monica either. Don't get me wrong the beach with the view north is breathtaking, but the promenade area seems so tacky/suburbia, something I would find in a Chicagoland mall suburbia.

That said, love Pasadena! Again, L.A. is blessed with the most natural beauty along with good weather. There is a reason so many people live there. But I find no energy/vibrancy their. Maybe if I was rich!
How are you not including the Bay Area here? You could definitely make the case that it is top 3, to be honest.

Old 12-16-2015, 02:44 PM

988 posts, read 682,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
Ughhhh I live in DTLA for part of year. It really isn't that vibrant at night, aside from 6th street and spring but especially compared to other cities central core it lacks true vibrancy. I agree with unwilling and would say Hollywood, even Santa Monica is more vibrant and downtown LA 24/7.
Agreed, and I like L.A. I just don't give L.A. credit for things it hasn't got.

This thread is giving me bad memories. I remember arguing with L.A. boosters in the past (not on this forum, in real life) who tried to convince me that the smog problem had been solved, the traffic wasn't bad, etc.

I mean, I like the place. Argue your strengths. Don't pretend that the weaknesses aren't weaknesses.

Old 12-16-2015, 02:44 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_onedayyet View Post
May I hear your objective reason for disagreeing with my list? The other two posters failed to provide one.

"Vibrancy", as it pertains to cities, is a pretty relative term, so it's nearly impossible to rank all of these cities fairly. As far as I can tell, everyone else is just making guesses.

Old 12-16-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
May I hear your objective reason for disagreeing with my list? The other two posters failed to provide one.
Well, people have said on here that Pasadena rocks, and rightly so.

Is any garden-variety skyscraper housing project in any garden-variety American urban area more "vibrant" than Pasadena, because of greater population density?

If not, I think you need to look to factors other than people/square mile to define vibrancy.

Old 12-16-2015, 02:48 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Quote:
No, you just refuse to listen to logic. You have given no reason why sleepy towns like San Diego would be comparable to places like NYC and LA.

You posted the one list that everyone in this thread can agree is completely ridiculous, and you have given no reason for your weird rankings.

Old 12-16-2015, 02:51 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,469,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unwillingphoenician View Post
Agreed, and I like L.A. I just don't give L.A. credit for things it hasn't got.

This thread is giving me bad memories. I remember arguing with L.A. boosters in the past (not on this forum, in real life) who tried to convince me that the smog problem had been solved, the traffic wasn't bad, etc.

I mean, I like the place. Argue your strengths. Don't pretend that the weaknesses aren't weaknesses.
Yeah let me tell you a little secret I've learned. NEVER say anything negative about LA on here because the few people from LA on here who think it is that of manhattan when it comes to urban cores will jump down your throat. I'm like you I think LA has some good and unique qualities that make it a world class city, but I am not going to pretend like the negatives of the city don't exist. I tried living in the city without a car for two years but I couldn't do it so I buckled down to buy a car to drive(like everyone else in the city does). I will be honest I really don't think LA is that great of a city compared to all of the cities I've traveled to and the other two cities I've lived in and yes it does have great attractions that are unique to the city, but it being cosmopolitan/urban is not one of them.

Old 12-16-2015, 02:57 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unwillingphoenician View Post
Well, people have said on here that Pasadena rocks, and rightly so.

Is any garden-variety skyscraper housing project in any garden-variety American urban area more "vibrant" than Pasadena, because of greater population density?

If not, I think you need to look to factors other than people/square mile to define vibrancy.
Vibrancy already has a definition, but there's obviously no consensus on how it should be applied here.

We can argue opinions until this thread his 100 pages long, but if you're going to contend a point made with facts, you need to have some facts of your own.

Old 12-16-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
Yeah let me tell you a little secret I've learned. NEVER say anything negative about LA on here because the few people from LA on here who think it is that of manhattan when it comes to urban cores will jump down your throat. I'm like you I think LA has some good and unique qualities that make it a world class city, but I am not going to pretend like the negatives of the city don't exist. I tried living in the city without a car for two years but I couldn't do it so I buckled down to buy a car to drive(like everyone else in the city does). I will be honest I really don't think LA is that great of a city compared to all of the cities I've traveled to and the other two cities I've lived in and yes it does have great attractions that are unique to the city, but it being cosmopolitan/urban is not one of them.
Got it, thanks. I like where I live too, but my rose-colored glasses are lost at the moment. I lived in L.A. without a car too, but only needed one bus to get to work.My wife, on the other hand, was farther away, Hollywood, when we lived in Alhambra. The bus drivers went on strike, and she had to take local city buses to get to work. Somehow she figured out how to ride to the edge of one town, catch the bus in the next town, and link together her commute like that. Unbelievable. She had a purse full of bus schedules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City