Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 04:32 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,993,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
Aren't most of the new residents in Mid City/Koreatown and DTLA transplants, as well? I can't stand this theory that transplants are responsible for all that's bad. Without transplants, places like Austin, Charlotte, and Orlando would be backwaters today. Without transplants, if we were to leave LA up to its own devices, I wonder what the urban landscape would look like today.

You just sound like you have a big old chip on your shoulder against other people who have something you don't.
Hahaha please do not tell me about my city. Let's just leave it like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 04:36 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,473,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
I can not stand hanging out in west la. It's expensive and overrated. Only transplants seem to have good things to say. Koreatown is more vibrant than any of those places. Yet it has yet to be mentioned. There are parts of mid city that maybe aren't as vibrant are pretty damn vibrant. Nobody has mentioned echo park, or silver lake, or highland park.... Hell even lemiert park is vibrant. Since you live in/near DTLA. I wold suggest you drive down Broadway in east LA and eat at Los Cincos putos. You may not feel like your on the east coast. But you will have the best carnitas you've had in your life AND explore and area of Los Angeles you probably never considered going before.

The thing about LA is that it's an open book. The more you try to do stuff outside your comfort zone, the more you'll be rewarded.

But back to the topic. I'll say LA is probably 2nd in terms of MSA. Long Beach has 400,000 people yet nobody has mentioned how vibrant Long Beach can be. Hell, places like freaking Manhattan beach have no comparison outside Miami.
It is actually a good thing that you brought up LBC lol. It is one of my favorite places in all of LA county and their downtown is really vibrant at night time, plus I like belmont shores. I have never been out in Korea town, that is next on my list. I will also be checking out what you mentioned in east LA seeing as I love carnitas, the best that I have had so far is guisados in DTLA.

Anywho yes going back to the topic I think LA would be number two if we are talking about the whole area, but if we are strictly speaking of city proper I would not be inclined to put it at number two.

Old 12-16-2015, 04:41 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,438,649 times
Koreatown is huge.
Hollywood is huge.
West Hollywood is huge.

These aren't small little centers of activity.
It goes on for miles.

Old 12-16-2015, 04:43 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,438,649 times
What about places like Huntington park?
Vibrant immigrant area.

LA is loaded.

City terrace
City of East la
Pico union

Even smaller hoofs like
Pico Robertson
Little Ethiopia
Larchmont village

Last edited by Freddy K; 12-16-2015 at 04:57 PM..

Old 12-16-2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
It is actually a good thing that you brought up LBC lol. It is one of my favorite places in all of LA county and their downtown is really vibrant at night time, plus I like belmont shores. I have never been out in Korea town, that is next on my list. I will also be checking out what you mentioned in east LA seeing as I love carnitas, the best that I have had so far is guisados in DTLA.

Anywho yes going back to the topic I think LA would be number two if we are talking about the whole area, but if we are strictly speaking of city proper I would not be inclined to put it at number two.
Fair enough but it would be difficult to remove places like SaMo, Culver City, Beverly Hills, and WeHo because they are all literally surrounded by the city of of Los Angeles.

Koreatown is def one of my favorite places. Amazing food obviously but there are many nooks and crannies that can be explored with a little due diligence. Def recommend hitting up Zion market for really cheap Korean food and amazing Korean samples and then hitting chaman plaza across the street. Soju is super cheap in grocery stores so you can start there.

A lot of people are not aware that Koreatown a also encompasses little Bangladesh so hitting up some of those spots too would be really nice for your wallet and stomach.

But yeah LA is not a perfect place what so ever, but you gotta explore a little more lol. Might just suprise you how "vibrant" LA can really get.

Old 12-16-2015, 04:55 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,644,856 times
Quote:
Hahaha please do not tell me about my city. Let's just leave it like that.
Touched a nerve because it's true? I guess your response would be to not respond, but instead to say something like "don't tell me about MY city, wha wha wha". Your audience is City-Data. Your response is childish. If you can't stand transplants, then why are you in LA?

Ignore list...have no time for people with unnecessary attitudes or little minds.

Old 12-16-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
Touched a nerve because it's true? I guess your response would be to not respond, but instead to say something like "don't tell me about MY city, wha wha wha". Your audience is City-Data. Your response is childish. If you can't stand transplants, then why are you in LA?

Ignore list...have no time for people with unnecessary attitudes or little minds.
Lol do you have any stats whatsoever? No because what you said isn't true, expect for DTLA.

Let's see the stats? LA is majority native born! Can't believe that can you?

Old 12-16-2015, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Fair enough but it would be difficult to remove places like SaMo, Culver City, Beverly Hills, and WeHo because they are all literally surrounded by the city of of Los Angeles.

Koreatown is def one of my favorite places. Amazing food obviously but there are many nooks and crannies that can be explored with a little due diligence. Def recommend hitting up Zion market for really cheap Korean food and amazing Korean samples and then hitting chaman plaza across the street. Soju is super cheap in grocery stores so you can start there.

A lot of people are not aware that Koreatown a also encompasses little Bangladesh so hitting up some of those spots too would be really nice for your wallet and stomach.

But yeah LA is not a perfect place what so ever, but you gotta explore a little more lol. Might just suprise you how "vibrant" LA can really get.
haha damn you seem to know a lot about the city, I will have to hit you up for future spots cuz my same old Downtown, Santa Monica, West Hollywood nights are getting a little redundant.

Old 12-16-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
haha damn you seem to know a lot about the city, I will have to hit you up for future spots cuz my same old Downtown, Santa Monica, West Hollywood nights are getting a little redundant.
If LA is being redundant then I would say def explore more. Seriously PM me if you have any questions. I'm not gonna claim LA is the greatest place on earth because no place is. But I'm pretty big on food and hip hop so I can help there.

Old 12-16-2015, 05:16 PM

Quote:
If LA is being redundant then I would say def explore more. Seriously PM me if you have any questions. I'm not gonna claim LA is the greatest place on earth because no place is. But I'm pretty big on food and hip hop so I can help there.
Word. I will make sure to DM you for some advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City