Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 02:26 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,860,551 times

Advertisements

I think it is intertesting how Appalachian cities get such a bad rap as poverty ridden and western booming suburban areas get such rave reviews economically.

I looked up some interesting numbers on per-capita incomes.

Pinal County, Arizona which is bursting at the seams with brand new housing had a 2014 per-capita income of 20,983. This is mainly due to the staggering birth rates in the area with huge homes with massive families.
Charleston, West Virginia which has seem severe population declines including severe population decline in the number of families with children has a per-capita income of 34,944

Utah County, Utah which had one of the highest job growth in the nation and had been in national publications because of its economic boom has a per-capita income of 20,973. North Las Vegas, NV a fast growing suburb of Las Vegas with lots of new housing devolopments has a per-capita income of 21,003. On the other hand Wheeling, West Virginia has a per-capita income of 24,831 and Weirton, WV 25,569.

Interestingly just by the looking at the economies of these declining population Appalachian cities it seems as though most have extremely low percentages of families with children. A high percentage of the population is dual income no kids couples which raises per-capita incomes. It seems as though there are still quite a few manufacturing and extraction jobs in these areas albeit far less then there used to be, also a very high percentage of workers in government and health-care in comparison to many areas. I would also venture to guess alot of these former blue-collar workers likely recieve a fairly highly social security payment as many of the former jobs payed well and those past earnings figure into social security payments.

On the other hand in the West you have lots of young people in their 20s and 30s with huge families. I have noticed it is not uncommon for people in newer suburbs to have several kids by the time they are 30. Also lots of stay at home wives in the West as it makes no sense for them to work.

It is interesting how the stereotypical down and out mountain towns are in better shape on a per-capita basis then the swimming in debt McMansion western suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 02:44 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,087,913 times
Having a lower income per capita isn't the same as swimming in debt. How did you make that connection? A better comparison would be median income of workers/full time workers, or you mind as well be comparing the incomes of seniors.

Old 03-09-2016, 02:48 PM

5,293 posts, read 6,055,643 times
I'm not sure you're doing an apples to apples comparison here in the narrative you're trying to push. Pinal County Arizona is an Exurban county at best and straddles both the Tucson and Phoenician metropolitan areas. It's filled with retirees and a reservation. These factors make the county look artificially poorer than it is. On top of it, the county is largely rural and it's one central city Casa Grande is over 40 miles from the border with Maricopa County.

Using a county like that to say western suburbs have a lower per capita income vs. Appalacian cities is intellectually dishonest at best.Phoenix's suburbs are contained almost entirely within Maricopa county itself. The fact that you are using a commuter county that wouldn't otherwise be included if a statistician hadn't deemed it so is questionable. Here is a link to the census quickfacts page, where you can compare incomes and populations. QuickFacts Using actual Phoenician suburbs doesn't produce the same result. I cannot speak for Utah County, but it feels like your reaching a little too hard to push this narrative. It doesn't hold up with more logical comparisons.

Last edited by mjlo; 03-09-2016 at 02:59 PM..

Old 03-09-2016, 02:56 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Having a lower income per capita isn't the same as swimming in debt. How did you make that connection? A better comparison would be median income of workers/full time workers, or you mind as well be comparing the incomes of seniors.
Yup. This is comparing apples to oranges.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:24 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,795,244 times
Try household income North Las Vegas is I think $20,000 higher than Wheeling. Or poverty level

Old 03-09-2016, 06:11 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,470,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I think it is intertesting how Appalachian cities get such a bad rap as poverty ridden and western booming suburban areas get such rave reviews economically.

Pinal County, Arizona which is bursting at the seams with brand new housing had a 2014 per-capita income of 20,983. This is mainly due to the staggering birth rates in the area with huge homes with massive families.
Charleston, West Virginia which has seem severe population declines including severe population decline in the number of families with children has a per-capita income of 34,944

Utah County, Utah which had one of the highest job growth in the nation and had been in national publications because of its economic boom has a per-capita income of 20,973. North Las Vegas, NV a fast growing suburb of Las Vegas with lots of new housing devolopments has a per-capita income of 21,003. On the other hand Wheeling, West Virginia has a per-capita income of 24,831 and Weirton, WV 25,569.

Interestingly just by the looking at the economies of these declining population Appalachian cities it seems as though most have extremely low percentages of families with children. A high percentage of the population is dual income no kids couples which raises per-capita incomes. It seems as though there are still quite a few manufacturing and extraction jobs in these areas albeit far less then there used to be, also a very high percentage of workers in government and health-care in comparison to many areas. I would also venture to guess alot of these former blue-collar workers likely recieve a fairly highly social security payment as many of the former jobs payed well and those past earnings figure into social security payments.

On the other hand in the West you have lots of young people in their 20s and 30s with huge families. I have noticed it is not uncommon for people in newer suburbs to have several kids by the time they are 30. Also lots of stay at home wives in the West as it makes no sense for them to work.

It is interesting how the stereotypical down and out mountain towns are in better shape on a per-capita basis then the swimming in debt McMansion western suburbs.
Really? Phoenix suburbs? That's a HUGE stretch.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:15 PM

30,348 posts, read 19,134,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post

Pinal County has a higher median family income than the county (Kanawha) Charleston is in per City Data. The lower per capita numbers are a function of the fact that you have a lot of young families with lots of kids (Mormons & Hispanics) in Pinal County and you don't have much of that in Kanawha. On the swimming in debt comment, not so sure about that....I have 3 McMansions in Pinal County all bought with cash so no debt. Interesting note, in 2000 Kanawha had a higher population than Pinal and now Pinal is more than double the population of Kanawha.

Old 03-12-2016, 09:18 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,148,184 times
Perhaps 3 words? Large...Mormon...Families

Old 03-12-2016, 12:53 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Utah County, UT has no future as such absurd population growth rates that never slow down will lead to poor quality of life there in the future as job growth will have to be as high in percentage terms as a developing world country. Hopefully they will face reality soon.

Old 03-12-2016, 01:36 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Utah County, UT has no future as such absurd population growth rates that never slow down will lead to poor quality of life there in the future as job growth will have to be as high in percentage terms as a developing world country.
What the heck are you talking about? Utah County is so clean I cant stand it( lol), is home to Brigham Young University, a burgeoning high tech scene and is attracting lots of young families from Salt Lake County due to all the newer homes for less money.

Quote:
Hopefully they will face reality soon.
What does this even mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City