Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is most fast paced?
Chicago 153 55.84%
Philadelphia 121 44.16%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 11:29 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,401,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
I'm a native of Chicago, never been to Philly, but I have been to D.C. and Boston. Both were a much faster pace than Chicago, so I would guess Philly is too. In Chicago pedestrians will actually (usually) stop at a red light, and often wait for it too turn green before crossing. Less so during business hours downtown. In the northeast, it seemed that people (and cars) would just charge right through an intersection, regardless of the lights. Of course, Chicago is a much faster pace than anywhere else in the Midwest.
Lived in both. Philly is a much faster paced environment as with most of the Northeast to Boston vs., the Midwest. People in the NE "Move", folks in the Midwest "Toodle"
Frankly, I love both cities! God knows they are much better than the one I am in now

Old 07-16-2009, 02:46 PM

318 posts, read 320,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Lived in both. Philly is a much faster paced environment as with most of the Northeast to Boston vs., the Midwest. People in the NE "Move", folks in the Midwest "Toodle"
Frankly, I love both cities! God knows they are much better than the one I am in now
Thanks. That's was my impression as well.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:24 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,156,819 times
Why is it an insult to Chicago if Philly is more fast paced? I think Chicago is very vibrant and gives you a great big city feel but Philly moves at an East Coast pace. People in Philly have a "knock you down get out of my way" mentality.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:22 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,273 times
I haven't been to Philadelphia, but Chicago seems pretty fast paced. But, why on earth do people think fast paced is better? Does it make you better if you live in a faster paced city? Why do people think it makes a city better if it's fast paced? It seems pretty arbitrary to me. In fact, it is arbitrary.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:36 PM

2 posts, read 6,637 times
why are people even debating this? philly moves faster, its a fact, but it don't matter. if you want safe and easy move to chicago or new york. if you don't want to live in disney land move to philadelphia or boston or something. i have nothing against chicago, i just don't enjoy being there. all the men from chicago seem to be the same to me, same with women. it's not what i'm used to. there isn't a whole lot of flavor.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:43 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Why is it an insult to Chicago if Philly is more fast paced? I think Chicago is very vibrant and gives you a great big city feel but Philly moves at an East Coast pace. People in Philly have a "knock you down get out of my way" mentality.
Philly/NYC/DC are all faster pace than Chicago. Chicago is still serious, very urban, gritty in parts though and gets down to business, just not as fast. Definitely competing on an international level w/ plenty of opportunity and consulates.
On recent Global Financial Centres Index... the rankings are ...

London
New York
Singapore
Hong Kong
Zurich
Geneva
Chicago

West coast/southern cities definitely feel another notch laid back from Chicago in my experience.

As far as commerce and business goes NYC and Chicago are the only two cities in North America in the top 10 globally from Mastercard worldwide research.

The top 10 are
1. London
2. New York

3. Tokyo

4. Singapore
5. Chicago
6. Hong Kong

7. Paris
8. Frankfurt

9. Seoul

10. Amsterdam

so Chicago is definitely no slouch and in good company

Last edited by grapico; 08-01-2009 at 03:58 PM..

Old 08-01-2009, 08:24 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,828,209 times
Chicago

Old 07-25-2010, 10:21 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,965,519 times
based on my personal experience philly is faster but so what.

chicago is not southern!!! people that say that have not lived in ir visited the south.

If someone thinks nyc or any other city is better than chicago, more power to them. that doesnt make me feel bad because i like the city.

Love your life regardless of where you are.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:25 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
based on my personal experience philly is faster but so what.

chicago is not southern!!! people that say that have not lived in ir visited the south.

If someone thinks nyc or any other city is better than chicago, more power to them. that doesnt make me feel bad because i like the city.

Love your life regardless of where you are.

Agree - The NE does move at a slightly different pace but really so what. Chicago is an awesome place and maybe a better balance overall. I always enjoy the city and the people immensly.

And either way in the American sense both these cities would be considered fast paced

Old 07-25-2010, 10:42 AM

976 posts, read 2,242,344 times
philadelphia is a faster paced city than chicago, as it is often considered new york's 6th borough. east coast vs. midwest = no contest here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.