Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the 3rd best Downtown?
Philadelphia 65 38.69%
San Francisco 77 45.83%
None 26 15.48%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 11:32 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
You can see in the diagram Salesforce has the most sustained height with no spire. CITI is the ugliest of the 3.
SF has a 900 footer that'll start well before shuylkill, and that project is very long term who knows what'll happen.
Well then Comcast Center at 975 FT tall wins when comparing the cities as the tallest tower to the roof height... you're really cherry picking now haha. There is no difference between an architectural metal screen, and an architectural glass/steel "lantern/spire." Both achieve extra height with add-ons.

Philadelphia already has two 900 footers... glad San Francisco is finally joining the party. CITC being the ugliest of the 3 is definitely your opinion. Most people like CITC better than the giant ***** that is Salesforce. I personally think both towers are beautiful, but I like CITC more personally. Definitely wouldn't call either ugly. And the taller tower in Schuylkill Yards (3101 Market) may actually be the second tower to start construction which could be around ~2018. The entire project will be 15-20 years and 8 towers. That's no longer than the Transbay development area timeline.

At this rate, Oceanwide Center or 50 First St. in San Francisco might not even start until late 2017... and with the longer time it takes in the ground in San Fran due to constant seismic activity, 3101 Market could indeed rise at the same time or before 50 First St.... just like Salesforce started excavation about 3 months before CITC but CITC started rising out of the ground about 5 months before Salesforce.

Old 04-13-2016, 11:59 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Well then Comcast Center at 975 FT tall wins when comparing the cities as the tallest tower to the roof height... you're really cherry picking now haha. There is no difference between an architectural metal screen, and an architectural glass/steel "lantern/spire." Both achieve extra height with add-ons.

Philadelphia already has two 900 footers... glad San Francisco is finally joining the party. CITC being the ugliest of the 3 is definitely your opinion. Most people like CITC better than the giant ***** that is Salesforce. I personally think both towers are beautiful, but I like CITC more personally. Definitely wouldn't call either ugly. And the taller tower in Schuylkill Yards (3101 Market) may actually be the second tower to start construction which could be around ~2018. The entire project will be 15-20 years and 8 towers. That's no longer than the Transbay development area timeline.

At this rate, Oceanwide Center or 50 First St. in San Francisco might not even start until late 2017... and with the longer time it takes in the ground in San Fran due to constant seismic activity, 3101 Market could indeed rise at the same time or before 50 First St.... just like Salesforce started excavation about 3 months before CITC but CITC started rising out of the ground about 5 months before Salesforce.

Take a look at all the comments when the CITC was announced with renderings, it was universally booed.

Salesforce is sleek and timeless in design. I think what bothers me about some Philly folk, is when this building was announced they acted like wow, this vaults us to the 3rd best skyline in the US. First San Francisco, LA, Houston and Miami all have more buildings than Philly does. Houston has two building with higher rooftops than either of the Comcasts. Miami has far more buildings, SF has far more buildings and greater density downtown.
Its great to have a tall building going up in Philly, but we know its place as tallest outside NY & Chi is a farce. Between SF, LA and Houston there are 5 buildings with rooftops taller than CITC, and yes Comcast Center will still visually be the tallest in Philly. Same goes for US Bank in LA over Wilshire Grand.

Old 04-14-2016, 12:06 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Quote:
Take a look at all the comments when the CITC was announced with renderings, it was universally booed.

Salesforce is sleek and timeless in design. I think what bothers me about some Philly folk, is when this building was announced they acted like wow, this vaults us to the 3rd best skyline in the US. First San Francisco, LA, Houston and Miami all have more buildings than Philly does. Houston has two building with higher rooftops than either of the Comcasts. Miami has far more buildings, SF has far more buildings and greater density downtown.
Its great to have a tall building going up in Philly, but we know its place as tallest outside NY & Chi is a farce. Between SF, LA and Houston there are 5 buildings with rooftops taller than CITC, and yes Comcast Center will still visually be the tallest in Philly. Same goes for US Bank in LA over Wilshire Grand.
Ok I'm from LA and there's no way LA has a better skyline than Philly. There might be more buildings, but that doesn't mean the skyline is pretty. SF may have the density, but without the geography surrounding it, the actual skyline is dull with unimpressive buildings. Salesforce will add a lot to the skyline for sure though.

Also, in a best downtown thread, it's best to leave off Houston. It has a lot of tall buildings, but it's downtown is quite subpar compared to SF and Philly.

Old 04-14-2016, 12:17 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
Quote:

You sound kinda salty honestly lol.... SF, Houston and Miami have more towers sure, but that means nothing. Philadelphia has a beautiful skyline.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8874/...d4d36035_h.jpg
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/596/2...de27b466_h.jpg
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/686/2...2129f303_b.jpg

I like SF skyline but most of the towers are pretty bland, regardless of density. Houston's skyline is downright ugly, and all of the highrises are spread out amongst 3 highrise districts across the city, and not Downtown. Miami has a pretty ugly skyline honestly. Mostly bland condo towers. Little substance.

I never said this vaults us to 3rd best skyline. And it definitely was not universally booed haha. Some people definitely disliked it at first, but I think most love it now. It fits very well with Philly's skyline.

I even said I did like Salesforce... the Pelli Clark Pelli designed tower is just lacking a little something honestly compared to the Norman Foster Designed CITC.

I also think Seattle and Pittsburgh have top notch skylines as well, regardless of other cities which have more highrises.

Old 04-14-2016, 12:19 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,187,112 times
From many angles especially from the south, One liberty place due to it's spire looks taller than the Comcast center despite being 29 ft shorter. A skinny 6 ft person naturally looks taller than a 6 ft person with a average weight. The skinnier a object is (so in this case skyscraper spires) the taller it looks imo. So CITC is going to look taller than Sales Force due to it's tall spire and being 51 feet taller than Sales Force

Old 04-14-2016, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Ok I'm from LA and there's no way LA has a better skyline than Philly. There might be more buildings, but that doesn't mean the skyline is pretty. SF may have the density, but without the geography surrounding it, the actual skyline is dull with unimpressive buildings. Salesforce will add a lot to the skyline for sure though.

Also, in a best downtown thread, it's best to leave off Houston. It has a lot of tall buildings, but it's downtown is quite subpar compared to SF and Philly.

I disagree for sure. I think US Bank Tower in LA is a far better design than anything in Philly and has a taller rooftop than any building outside NY and Chicago including CITC/Salesforce or Wilshire Grand.

Old 04-14-2016, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
You sound kinda salty honestly lol.... SF, Houston and Miami have more towers sure, but that means nothing. Philadelphia has a beautiful skyline.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8874/...d4d36035_h.jpg
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/596/2...de27b466_h.jpg
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/686/2...2129f303_b.jpg

I like SF skyline but most of the towers are pretty bland, regardless of density. Houston's skyline is downright ugly, and all of the highrises are spread out amongst 3 highrise districts across the city, and not Downtown. Miami has a pretty ugly skyline honestly. Mostly bland condo towers. Little substance.

I never said this vaults us to 3rd best skyline. And it definitely was not universally booed haha. Some people definitely disliked it at first, but I think most love it now. It fits very well with Philly's skyline.

I even said I did like Salesforce... the Pelli Clark Pelli designed tower is just lacking a little something honestly compared to the Norman Foster Designed CITC.

I also think Seattle and Pittsburgh have top notch skylines as well, regardless of other cities which have more highrises.

Not you on the 3rd ranking, but Ive heard it more than once.

Some of the comments on skyscraper about CITC when it was first unveiled lol:

Was the first comcast tower not ugly enough?

the original comcast center was better,this one needs something more to it.

I love the height and the jobs this will bring to the city. I hope the design changes though. It's pretty ugly.

Wow im not at all impressed, its massing is very bulky, its extremely overpowering on the whole skyline and not in a good way.

Miami will sooner or later be third in the US, its just growing far faster than all the others. Especially if they get the super talls that are proposed.
San Francisco, does suffer a bit from lots of tall building bunched together, but the scale and density and setting completely set it apart from the others.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/skylin...7627808007723/
Houston is just damn tall, even just the CBD is taller on average. Put its top 25 buildings up against the top 25 of the others and Houston is taller.

Seattle is great, and Pittsburgh good.

Old 04-14-2016, 05:56 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
any single buildings or building height are not what would make either of these great DTs. I like both skylines but what makes these DTs special is the action on the street and mixed use and amenities.

SF (skyline) gets a lot of bonus from the setting and even appears taller because of the slope up from the bay making buildings appear taller. Otherwise is a more bland skyline in a lot of ways. The SF tower will change the visual, like many things time will tell how well it works, my hunch is well. CTIC is growing on me as I was not a huge fan at first. In terms of buildings overall I actually like Philly better (not a homer) but I prefer the mix and feel Philly has more old and new buildings of interest overall, again my opinion and this from someone that prefer the Chicago that of NYC even though NYC is more mammoth.

but rank of the skyline for me while I love skylines does not make either of these a great DT

Old 04-14-2016, 06:29 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,174,514 times
Quote:
I disagree for sure. I think US Bank Tower in LA is a far better design than anything in Philly and has a taller rooftop than any building outside NY and Chicago including CITC/Salesforce or Wilshire Grand.
Really? It's not an ugly building by any means, but it isn't a masterpiece, either. No one really cared when they blew it up in Independence Day. When the best things to be said about it are a) it has great seismic engineering, b) it has the highest helipad in the world, and c) they're adding a slide to it, it just comes across as a gimmicky building that gets gassed up due to being in Hollywood. 7/10. It gets the job done due to its height and LA's paucity of tall skyscrapers, but a "far better design"? I understand subjectivity, but this comes across as just blatant hating, especially when Philly has gems like One Liberty and BNY Mellon Center. Again, it's all subjective, but "far better" is a strong shot to take.

Quote:
Not you on the 3rd ranking, but Ive heard it more than once.

Some of the comments on skyscraper about CITC when it was first unveiled lol:

Was the first comcast tower not ugly enough?

the original comcast center was better,this one needs something more to it.

I love the height and the jobs this will bring to the city. I hope the design changes though. It's pretty ugly.

Wow im not at all impressed, its massing is very bulky, its extremely overpowering on the whole skyline and not in a good way.

Miami will sooner or later be third in the US, its just growing far faster than all the others. Especially if they get the super talls that are proposed.
San Francisco, does suffer a bit from lots of tall building bunched together, but the scale and density and setting completely set it apart from the others.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/skylin...7627808007723/
Houston is just damn tall, even just the CBD is taller on average. Put its top 25 buildings up against the top 25 of the others and Houston is taller.

Seattle is great, and Pittsburgh good.
Four comments from an Internet message board (and probably cherry picked out of far more congratulatory posts) does not make a building "universally booed." If I had the time, I could do the same thing about literally any new skyscraper--to include Salesforce.

Also, San Francisco's skyline benefits from its setting more than any other city in America, even Seattle. The geography has to give the 'wow' factor that the skyline really doesn't give on its own. No one outside of SF can even name a skyscraper besides the "weird pyramid building". "Buildings" like Coit Tower and Sutro Tower have to pick up the slack. And it's telling when the most iconic structure in the city has to be included on nearly every single postcard/skyline shot. You don't see the Brooklyn Bridge in nearly every shot of the One World Trade Center, for example. SF skyline = Bridges/bay/mountains > actual skyline. There are a lot of things San Francisco does better than Philadelphia (or any other city), but skyline isn't one of them.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:46 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
I wouldn't say the skylines of either are really the primary component of why the two would be the third or fourth best downtown in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City