Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the 3rd best Downtown?
Philadelphia 65 38.69%
San Francisco 77 45.83%
None 26 15.48%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 07:04 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,175,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I wouldn't say the skylines of either are really the primary component of why the two would be the third or fourth best downtown in the US.
No, not the primary component, but I wouldn't completely discount them, either.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:14 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Not you on the 3rd ranking, but Ive heard it more than once.

Some of the comments on skyscraper about CITC when it was first unveiled lol:

Was the first comcast tower not ugly enough?

the original comcast center was better,this one needs something more to it.

I love the height and the jobs this will bring to the city. I hope the design changes though. It's pretty ugly.

Wow im not at all impressed, its massing is very bulky, its extremely overpowering on the whole skyline and not in a good way.

Maybe you should go past the first page then

"The more I look at this the more I like it

It is very industrial with a strong tie to media and to art decco

will be interesting to see how the cladding comes but this could have the opportunity to have the industrial staying power of the Hancock Building in Chicago with a strong touch of Rockefeller not yet mentioned in the setbacks"

"I agree, at first I was unimpressed but I'm actually starting to really like it. I think that the actual physical model looks fantastic and way better than the renderings."

"I like it actually! It's better than I expected, although I'm not a fan of Norman Foster. They should have picked someone else to design this thing."

"Fantastic! This reminds me of the very avant-garde skyscrapers going up in London and the Australian cities, the ones I always wish they would build here in the states, and now we finally get one! It marries that 21st-century industrial look with nods to art deco styling. Altogether a great new icon on the Philadelphia skyline."

"I'm loving the look of it. It has a very distinct European look. Kind of hard to describe, but it seems like something you would see under construction in Russia or Germany."

"very cool design"

etc. etc.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:23 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
The comments I posted were all first page

Old 04-14-2016, 08:27 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
The comments I posted were all first page
Yes, that's why I said you should go past the first page... comments get more congratulatory and liking. Even people who posted on the first page then post again and say, "actually, after looking at the tower again, I like it. It's starting to grow on me."

Old 04-14-2016, 08:56 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Just out of curiosity, is any of the decommissioned naval yard in Philadelphia going to become parkland? Also, are there are any close by hills from which to see the Philly skyline. I know you can cross the river and go up one of the taller buildings in Camden, but a closer in hilltop view would be great. One of the great things about SF's skyline, even if one feels it's unremarkable, is the many vantage points from which to see it like in Dolores Park. Does Philly have similar?

Old 04-14-2016, 09:00 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Really? It's not an ugly building by any means, but it isn't a masterpiece, either. No one really cared when they blew it up in Independence Day. When the best things to be said about it are a) it has great seismic engineering, b) it has the highest helipad in the world, and c) they're adding a slide to it, it just comes across as a gimmicky building that gets gassed up due to being in Hollywood. 7/10. It gets the job done due to its height and LA's paucity of tall skyscrapers, but a "far better design"? I understand subjectivity, but this comes across as just blatant hating, especially when Philly has gems like One Liberty and BNY Mellon Center. Again, it's all subjective, but "far better" is a strong shot to take.
What a weird comment lol

Quote:
Also, San Francisco's skyline benefits from its setting more than any other city in America, even Seattle. The geography has to give the 'wow' factor that the skyline really doesn't give on its own. No one outside of SF can even name a skyscraper besides the "weird pyramid building". "Buildings" like Coit Tower and Sutro Tower have to pick up the slack. And it's telling when the most iconic structure in the city has to be included on nearly every single postcard/skyline shot. You don't see the Brooklyn Bridge in nearly every shot of the One World Trade Center, for example. SF skyline = Bridges/bay/mountains > actual skyline. There are a lot of things San Francisco does better than Philadelphia (or any other city), but skyline isn't one of them.
The most iconic structure in the city is the Golden Gate Bridge and that is not typically included in skyline shots as its several miles away, the Bay Bridge is though many times. Either way it's definitely a more recognizable skyline than Philly.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
What a weird comment lol

The most iconic structure in the city is the Golden Gate Bridge and that is not typically included in skyline shots as its several miles away, the Bay Bridge is though many times. Either way it's definitely a more recognizable skyline than Philly.
Lol, it's true. People lost their **** when the White House and Empire State Building were blown up. The US Bank Tower? Not so much. Even now, no one really remembers ID4, a movie that grossed nearly $1 billion at the box office, for blowing up LA and that "architectural masterpiece."

And I was implying the Golden Gate Bridge for skyline shots/postcards, and yes, it's nearly always included and far more popular than the Bay Bridge in these shots (which, don't get me wrong, is also quite photographed). Just Google "San Francisco Skyline" and see how many shots have the GGB in them.

As far as recognizable, that's only because SF is a a far more photographed and fetishized city. Of course more people are aware of it. That doesn't mean it's skyline is better than Philadelphia's, because outside of density (which actually works against it, to be honest), the SF skyline doesn't do much on its own or anything better than Philly. The judge of any city's skyline is to plop a complete outsider in that city, not us C-D nerds lol, and see what grabs their interest.

I just had a couple from Dallas (which also has a better pure skyline than SF btw) visit two weeks ago, and we took them to both Philly and NYC over the weekend. For Philly, the Comcast Center, Liberty Buildings, BNY Mellon and City Hall were immediately asked about. They even went up to the new observation deck at One Liberty to check out the city. And NYC, well, it's NYC. Not even talking about the easy ones like Empire State Building, Chrysler Building or One WTC, but about 432 Park, One 57, Via, BoA Building, the Jenga Tower, Beekman, etc., etc...these skyscrapers all got asked about and marveled at. The fact that Philly and NYC's skyline stand on their own without having to always include nature (Schuylkill River greenery, Central Park) or bridges (Ben Franklin, Walt Whitman, GWB, Brooklyn, etc.) speaks volumes. The SF skyline has the Transamerica Pyramid and what else exactly? Density?

Anyways, a skyline doesn't make a downtown great (though it helps). As has been mentioned before, I think SF citywide is overall quite a bit stronger, but speaking on strictly downtown terms, Center City is slightly better and should be considered the 3rd best downtown in the country. While it lacks comparatively in shopping and "density", and isn't buoyed by picturesque surroundings, it's less blighted, has a better residential population, better skyline, better green spaces, better museums, more history, more intimate spaces, more street art, and has better public transportation than SF.

Last edited by qworldorder; 04-14-2016 at 09:38 AM..

Old 04-14-2016, 09:33 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
I dont recall anyone crying because buildings were blown up in a silly movie.

C'mon with that.

Last edited by 18Montclair; 04-14-2016 at 09:59 AM..

Old 04-14-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I dont recall anyone crying because buildings were Brown up in a silly movie.

C'mon with that.
Dude, I remember 1996 quite vividly. The White House being blown up, and to a lesser extent the Empire State Building, was all anyone could talk about. This movie won the Oscar for Visual Effects, and that scene is considered a visual milestone in effects. Hell, they even screened the movie privately for The President of the United States. So yea, people lost their **** (in a good way) over buildings being blown up in a silly movie--and the US Bank Tower's destruction did not register anywhere close to that of the other two buildings.

Visual and Special Effects Film Milestones
Independence Day (1996) - Trivia - IMDb

To keep this somewhat on track, since we're speaking of DC, how does DC's downtown stack up in the scheme of things?

Old 04-14-2016, 10:11 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Lol, it's true. People lost their **** when the White House and Empire State Building were blown up. The US Bank Tower? Not so much. Even now, no one really remembers ID4, a movie that grossed nearly $1 billion at the box office, for blowing up LA and that "architectural masterpiece."

And I was implying the Golden Gate Bridge for skyline shots/postcards, and yes, it's nearly always included and far more popular than the Bay Bridge in these shots (which, don't get me wrong, is also quite photographed). Just Google "San Francisco Skyline" and see how many shots have the GGB in them.

As far as recognizable, that's only because SF is a a far more photographed and fetishized city. Of course more people are aware of it. That doesn't mean it's skyline is better than Philadelphia's, because outside of density (which actually works against it, to be honest), the SF skyline doesn't do much on its own or anything better than Philly. The judge of any city's skyline is to plop a complete outsider in that city, not us C-D nerds lol, and see what grabs their interest.

I just had a couple from Dallas (which also has a better pure skyline than SF btw) visit two weeks ago, and we took them to both Philly and NYC over the weekend. For Philly, the Comcast Center, Liberty Buildings, BNY Mellon and City Hall were immediately asked about. They even went up to the new observation deck at One Liberty to check out the city. And NYC, well, it's NYC. Not even talking about the easy ones like Empire State Building, Chrysler Building or One WTC, but about 432 Park, One 57, Via, BoA Building, the Jenga Tower, Beekman, etc., etc...these skyscrapers all got asked about and marveled at. The fact that Philly and NYC's skyline stand on their own without having to always include nature (Schuylkill River greenery, Central Park) or bridges (Ben Franklin, Walt Whitman, GWB, Brooklyn, etc.) speaks volumes. The SF skyline has the Transamerica Pyramid and what else exactly? Density?

Anyways, a skyline doesn't make a downtown great (though it helps). As has been mentioned before, I think SF citywide is overall quite a bit stronger, but speaking on strictly downtown terms, Center City is slightly better and should be considered the 3rd best downtown in the country. While it lacks comparatively in shopping and "density", and isn't buoyed by picturesque surroundings, it's less blighted, has a better residential population, better skyline, better green spaces, better museums, more history, more intimate spaces, more street art, and has better public transportation than SF.
Oh wow you were serious. I've seen that movie a ton of times and have no idea what you're even talking about. The actors reactions in the movies? Moviegoers reactions in the theater? What?

I just googled "San Francisco skyline" and the Golden Gate Bridge didn't show up until the 27th photo and it was only a small portion of it. Did you actually Google it? The GGB is over 4 miles from downtown SF as the crow flies so I'm not sure why you think it would be included in skyline shots, one or the other looks tiny depending on the shot. Very few skyline shots of SF have the GGB, it's too far away.

I'm honestly not sure why you or others make such a big deal about Philly's skyline, there are really only 3 maybe 4 buildings that standout and the rest are pretty nondescript/generic looking.

What nature is being included? The bay? Well SF's downtown sits at the edge of a bay so kind of hard to avoid it.

lol @ bringing up NYC, that's so C-D Philly of you. A couple from Dallas certainly settles this. I doubt the majority of people even give a crap about the skyline or skyscrapers of either city honestly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City