Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the 3rd best Downtown?
Philadelphia 65 38.69%
San Francisco 77 45.83%
None 26 15.48%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 06:53 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
What are you going to try to say that the transamerica is better than one liberty place?

Thats a given

Transamerica is iconic, One Liberty isnt bad but theres lots of similarly styled buildings.

Old 04-15-2016, 07:39 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Thats where I totally disagree. I dont think Philly is close. I think SF is closer to Chicago than Philly is to SF.
Yea, we do completely disagree. SF and Philadelphia have some of the closest downtowns in the US and I put Philly somewhat ahead. Chicago is really different--I even like some of the better Center City neighborhoods than I like Chicago's downtown neighborhoods. SF's downtown is in the same ballpark as downtown Chicago's in the criteria listed when it comes to upscale shopping options, growth and development, restaurants, maybe vibrancy if you mostly leave out night time vibrancy, and cohesiveness depending on how you want to define it whereas the other categories are complete blowouts. So it's about half arguably close, but not necessarily for San Francisco, and about half heavily lopsided in favor of Chicago.

However, vis-a-vis Philadelphia, SF and Philadelphia's downtowns are actually very close overall and the parts where one favors the other isn't quite the giant lopsided favoring of one over the other and overall work out to be pretty even.

You'll likely see this sentiment bared out in the polls for a topic of downtown San Francisco versus downtown Philadelphia where the two will be pretty close, whereas a poll over the topic of downtown San Francisco versus downtown Chicago is going to swing heavily towards Chicago. It would probably take some pretty strong initial bias towards downtown San Francisco to not realize this.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 04-15-2016 at 08:07 PM..

Old 04-15-2016, 08:49 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,924,658 times
Give it up, SF: Philly got this one over you. Philly indeed has way better downtown than SF and much more dynamic.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:16 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
I swear only on here and from SF homers is where you'll find the argument that more expensive=better. SF is the most overpriced city in the country. Cool, your buildings sell for a lot of money. But does that mean your downtown is better? No. While your buildings sell for hundreds of millions of dollars, you have hordes of zombie-like homeless people wandering the streets using the city as their lavatory. SEPTA is way better than any transit in SF. Philly has the better museums and parks downtown. Center City mixes residential units with office space with restaurants and bars much better than SF does.

And still, if you disagree with me that Philly has the better downtown, grow up and stop using the example that SF's buildings are more expensive. They're more expensive because of the physical constraints of the city. In California you pay for land, not the building on the land. You can fix an ugly building (555), but you can't make more land in SF. SF is desirable and that's why prices are higher, but that doesn't make it better. In that list of most expensive office streets, some place in OC and Menlo Park and Avenue of the Stars were on it. If you think those compete for "best downtown" just because they're expensive, you need a reality check and you need to get out more and see how s****y those downtowns are.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I swear only on here and from SF homers is where you'll find the argument that more expensive=better. SF is the most overpriced city in the country. Cool, your buildings sell for a lot of money. But does that mean your downtown is better? No. While your buildings sell for hundreds of millions of dollars, you have hordes of zombie-like homeless people wandering the streets using the city as their lavatory. SEPTA is way better than any transit in SF. Philly has the better museums and parks downtown. Center City mixes residential units with office space with restaurants and bars much better than SF does.

And still, if you disagree with me that Philly has the better downtown, grow up and stop using the example that SF's buildings are more expensive. They're more expensive because of the physical constraints of the city. In California you pay for land, not the building on the land. You can fix an ugly building (555), but you can't make more land in SF. SF is desirable and that's why prices are higher, but that doesn't make it better. In that list of most expensive office streets, some place in OC and Menlo Park and Avenue of the Stars were on it. If you think those compete for "best downtown" just because they're expensive, you need a reality check and you need to get out more and see how s****y those downtowns are.
You need to return you're California card if in fact you ever were from here or lived here for that matter. San Francisco is head n shoulders above Philly in any metric. YOu posted that list!

Old 04-15-2016, 10:32 PM

Quote:
You need to return you're California card if in fact you ever were from here or lived here for that matter. San Francisco is head n shoulders above Philly in any metric. YOu posted that list!
Lol I love that whenever I'm negative towards California, people on here assume I'm not from there. Would you like me to post my birth certificate like Obama had to? I was born at Cedars Sinai. I can show you my high school diploma from a high school in LA County. I can show you my diploma from my university in the Bay Area. Do you need to call my references/bosses at all the law firms and legal aid firms in SF and LA? Or what about the restaurants in West LA I worked for?

I posted the list of the most expensive office streets to prove a point. Avenue of the Stars is the epitome of urban office park and is not something a city should strive to be. It's a couple high rises and a failing mall surrounded by parking lots and streets wide enough to land a plane on. Nothing urban about it. No street life. Nothing going on after 5pm. Very few residential units. Sand Hill is an office park plain and simple. Newport Beach is an uppity suburb and Newport Center Drive is an office park with a mall. West Palm Beach is not some urban paradise. There are some good streets on there, but they're the exception. You really think Menlo Park's office parks make the best downtown? The point is that just because office space is expensive doesn't mean it's the best downtown. Office parks do not make good downtowns, but they're some of the most expensive in the country to rent in. Just because office buildings sell and rent for more in SF doesn't mean it has a better downtown.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:55 PM

You had no point it was pointless.
Don't believe you either

Old 04-15-2016, 11:00 PM

Quote:
You had no point it was pointless.
Don't believe you either
Lol don't be bitter that someone from CA doesn't think it's the most perfect place on Earth. I know plenty of Californians who don't plan on living there because it's some garden of Eden like the media makes it out to seem.

I just told you what my point was. You can choose to disregard my point, but I explained my point to you. Price=quality. Just because something is expensive doesn't mean it is automatically and inherently better. Just because buildings sell for more in SF doesn't mean the downtown is better. Chicago has the far better downtown than SF and only someone from SF would argue otherwise. And that's become blatantly obvious on this forum; nobody except SF homers thinks that SF has a better downtown than Chicago.

Believe whatever you want. It's your opinion that SF is better and you're entitled to your opinion as are all of us who believe that Philly has the better downtown. But don't base your OPINION on something irrelevant to the quality of a downtown: the real estate prices.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Lol don't be bitter that someone from CA doesn't think it's the most perfect place on Earth. I know plenty of Californians who don't plan on living there because it's some garden of Eden like the media makes it out to seem.

I just told you what my point was. You can choose to disregard my point, but I explained my point to you. Price=quality. Just because something is expensive doesn't mean it is automatically and inherently better. Just because buildings sell for more in SF doesn't mean the downtown is better. Chicago has the far better downtown than SF and only someone from SF would argue otherwise. And that's become blatantly obvious on this forum; nobody except SF homers thinks that SF has a better downtown than Chicago.

Believe whatever you want. It's your opinion that SF is better and you're entitled to your opinion as are all of us who believe that Philly has the better downtown. But don't base your OPINION on something irrelevant to the quality of a downtown: the real estate prices.
Do you understand supply and demand? There's a reason why it's expensive.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Do you understand supply and demand? There's a reason why it's expensive.
Do you understand that doesn't mean it's BETTER? Menlo Park is not BETTER than NYC. Avenue of the Stars is not BETTER than other downtowns. They're more expensive, but that does not mean better. Only the Bay Area argues that being expensive is a winning factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City