Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the 3rd best Downtown?
Philadelphia 65 38.69%
San Francisco 77 45.83%
None 26 15.48%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 10:04 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times

Advertisements

I was just looking at the housing right on the beach in SF. Got to tell you its not great.

For east coasters it would be similar to housing in a town like North Wildwood NJ. 1-2 story older basic seaside abodes. But right on the beach. North Wildwood had the sense to build hotels/condos on the beach to take advantage of the ocean views, puts the housing a couple blocks away from the beach.

Cape May, Stone Harbor,Avalon etc etc the housing stock blows the headlights off of SF oceanfront housing from what I have seen.

As far as the close-in downtown neighborhoods? Much prefer the built enviornment of Center City as opposed to downtown SF. I dont think its a coincidence that arguably the most human scale section of downtown SF seems to be a mini west coast version of Center City Philadelphia. Do the streets + name sound familiar ? Washington Square, Chestnut Street,Lombard Street,Pine Street,Sansom Street,Filbert Street, Market Street. i will give SF credit at least they added a "Way" to Broad Street.

You did good SF if you were going to copy a street grid and design pattern then Center City Philadlephia is probably the best the US has to offer.

These photos imo kind of reflect the notion that high cost of living/ higher real estate values doesnt always equate better. These houses are probably similar in price. Which one would you prefer to live in?

Stone Harbor NJ
http://coffeekatblog.files.wordpress...ach-houses.jpg

SF Oceanfront Houses- Great Highway + Rivera

http://blog.sfgate.com/johnking/wp-c...era-street.jpg

http://thumbs.trulia-cdn.com/picture...o-CA-94116.jpg

Last edited by rainrock; 04-17-2016 at 10:37 PM..

Old 04-17-2016, 10:43 PM

San Francisco

http://images.fineartamerica.com/ima...hotography.jpg

Philadelphia

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2527/...42a5642c_b.jpg

Old 04-17-2016, 11:37 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
I was just looking at the housing right on the beach in SF. Got to tell you its not great.

For east coasters it would be similar to housing in a town like North Wildwood NJ. 1-2 story older basic seaside abodes. But right on the beach. North Wildwood had the sense to build hotels/condos on the beach to take advantage of the ocean views, puts the housing a couple blocks away from the beach.
And that's probably why its one of the "cheaper" places to buy in SF. Nobody ever claimed living by the ocean in SF is desirable, the weather generally sucks and its one of the more suburban parts of SF. So honestly what is your point really? That when you compare apple to oranges that they aren't similar lol?

Quote:
Cape May, Stone Harbor,Avalon etc etc the housing stock blows the headlights off of SF oceanfront housing from what I have seen.
Cool, again you're not comparing anything remotely similar. Anyone buying a house in the Outer Sunset or Richmond by the ocean isn't buying it for a weekend getaway.

What a sad and desperate attempt to discredit SF on a thread about downtown's lol. You're getting desperate and reaching, so C-D Philly of you...

Old 04-18-2016, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post

So honestly what is your point really? That when you compare apple to oranges that they aren't similar lol?

What a sad and desperate attempt to discredit SF on a thread about downtown's lol. You're getting desperate and reaching, so C-D Philly of you...
Ocean front vs ocean front ? Apples to oranges?

Sad and desperate attempt to discredit SF? Preposterous. I was merely pointing out that SF's high cost of living does not necessarily make it more desirable.

SF's High Cost of Living is the result of 2 main factors.

1. Land restraint. The penisula is comparitively small and 1/2 of the penisula is unlivable land. You could say supply and demand I suppose but its really the "supply" or lackthereof that creates SF high COL.

2.Booming Tech Industry.

I'll give SF credit for capitalizing on their area. They did a great job over the decades building that city. Wisely choosing the urban footprint of the great old east coast cities.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:25 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,872,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
You can absolutely separate Downtown from the rest of the city. Center City and the surrounding neighborhoods are obviously very desirable. Obviously some other parts of Philadelphia - like North Philadelphia - are not.

If you actually took the time to look at numbers and speak in facts, instead of wildly pulling things out of your ass, maybe people would argue with you less.

Center City, Philadelphia household incomes are now over $100,000. In fact, there may be neighborhoods in Center City, Philadelphia which are now wealthier than neighborhoods in Downtown San Francisco.

Center City household incomes now in the six figures

Center City household income now in the six figures - philly-archives

^^$156K household income is pretty substantial. That is higher than anything I found in what could reasonably be considered Downtown San Francisco. The highest I found was $143K. What's shocking is how low household income numbers get in and around the Tenderloin. They drop down to $14K. That's obviously well below poverty, especially for an expensive city like San Francisco. Philadelphia has nothing that low in or around Center City. I believe the lowest in Center City is ~$70K. Now, obviously San Fran has some very high income neighborhoods outside of Downtown... however, comparing Downtowns, I think Center City and San Francisco are very comparable. I really don't think you're very familiar with Center City, Philadelphia at all. It's definitely a wealthy area... it's not "middle income" at all. It's definitely upper-middle to upper class.

Philadelphia shatters records for million-dollar home sales

Philadelphia shatters records for million-dollar home sales | PhillyVoice

^^Many wealthy people are moving to Philadelphia, particularly into Center City. That's why we're seeing a ton of luxury, multi-million dollar towhomes/rowhomes and condos being built.
Where Philly is substantially cheaper than SF is in the rental market.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:24 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,115,340 times
Hope you enjoyed your Google tour, now try it in person one day.
And no you don't get to claim the jersey shore as part of Philly.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:07 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Ocean front vs ocean front ? Apples to oranges?

Sad and desperate attempt to discredit SF? Preposterous. I was merely pointing out that SF's high cost of living does not necessarily make it more desirable.

SF's High Cost of Living is the result of 2 main factors.

1. Land restraint. The penisula is comparitively small and 1/2 of the penisula is unlivable land. You could say supply and demand I suppose but its really the "supply" or lackthereof that creates SF high COL.

2.Booming Tech Industry.

I'll give SF credit for capitalizing on their area. They did a great job over the decades building that city. Wisely choosing the urban footprint of the great old east coast cities.
No it's more weekend beach tourist town versus outer city neighborhood. No one is spending weekends in the Outer Sunset/Richmond for the beach like they are the Jersey Shore. Do you really not understand that?

I agree a high COL doesn't automatically mean a place is more desirable as there are other factors in play, but they just tend to be which is the case with SF vs Philly.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:19 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
No it's more weekend beach tourist town versus outer city neighborhood. No one is spending weekends in the Outer Sunset/Richmond for the beach like they are the Jersey Shore. Do you really not understand that?

I agree a high COL doesn't automatically mean a place is more desirable as there are other factors in play, but they just tend to be which is the case with SF vs Philly.

Also this is purely about DTs of which beachfront outer Richmond is not much less Avalon NJ

Real Estate is much higher in the bay overall, mostly compared to anywhere in the US

Though I still personally contend these two DTs actually compare very well, Philly may actually even have higher incomes DT relative to SF, not the city overall though but again Philly does not have any shortage of high earners in the city, the most glaring difference is the number of low income earners in Philly compared to SF

High COL is sort of function of factors one of which being real estate value of which is s demand based aspect. Does that make it better probably not as is subjective. It does typically equate to demand though of which SF prices are generating higher demand and price points no doubt

Old 04-18-2016, 12:09 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Hope you enjoyed your Google tour, now try it in person one day.
And no you don't get to claim the jersey shore as part of Philly.
Yea, Jersey Shore certainly isn't part of downtown whatsoever. Not sure why there's a point in bringing that up.

Just out of curiosity, when was the last time you spent some time in Center City?

Old 04-18-2016, 04:47 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,115,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, Jersey Shore certainly isn't part of downtown whatsoever. Not sure why there's a point in bringing that up.

Just out of curiosity, when was the last time you spent some time in Center City?

Oh for sure. Its been a while it was 2008. Ive got family in Philly and in suburban NJ. Spent time in CC and went to an Eagles/Redskins game....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City