Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 09:50 AM

254 posts, read 257,406 times

Advertisements

I'm a little surprised to see just how rich the rich Bostonians are compared to the 1% in other cities. I wonder where it all comes from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 10:42 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Like I said, these numbers seem more like the top 5%.

Here is the top 1% household income for CA metros.

Img from my flickr acct

Old 05-13-2016, 10:47 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southshorebound View Post
I'm a little surprised to see just how rich the rich Bostonians are compared to the 1% in other cities. I wonder where it all comes from?
Boston metro is quite wealthy, and has large tech, biotech and financial services industries. One would expect it would be somewhere near the top.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:16 AM

12,836 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southshorebound View Post
It's pretty clear, as NOLA pointed out. My girlfriend and I live near the boundary of the Boston and Providence Metro Areas. We're top 24% for Boston, top 12% for Providence. That's a sizable discrepancy in income, but you can actually see and feel it between the two cities which are so close.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:25 PM

61 posts, read 48,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
How do the cities with the most billionaires have the best entertainment?
Well let's see. The cities with the most billionaires - New York, Hong Kong, London, Paris, San Francisco, Istanbul, Tokyo. Coincidentally, these places seem to be way more exciting and have much better shopping and dining than places with no or few billionaires- like El Paso, TX and Jacksonville, FL. Hmm..a mystery. Super rich people are in certain places for a reason..cause they're the best.

And once again, why is caring where super-rich live any worse than caring which cities have the most human bodies added to their count in the last Census? What comes from that, other than things like traffic? There does seem to be lovely things that come from living around lots of super-rich people - like shopping, dining, huge corporations with high paying jobs and entertainment. And great museums, and landmarks..

I think you just don't like this metric because your town doesn't make the list.

Quote:
and its primarily young people and the middle class leaving.
So? Middle class people are going to McDonald over French Laundry and Best Western over the Four Seasons. Why would anyone care? This is a big free country that allows us to move around so what's the problem? Who cares, really? Being a city with high levels inequality works for some cities (the most unequal seem to be the world's most powerful cities) while others are just destined to be just middle-class places. I don't see anything wrong with this. And some cities are so huge that even in 200 years there will still be millions of middle-class. Most people don't move anywhere and the migration stats are a drop in the bucket.

Last edited by jamezz; 05-13-2016 at 12:46 PM..

Old 05-13-2016, 02:09 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,329,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamezz View Post
Well let's see. The cities with the most billionaires - New York, Hong Kong, London, Paris, San Francisco, Istanbul, Tokyo. Coincidentally, these places seem to be way more exciting and have much better shopping and dining than places with no or few billionaires- like El Paso, TX and Jacksonville, FL. Hmm..a mystery. Super rich people are in certain places for a reason..cause they're the best.

And once again, why is caring where super-rich live any worse than caring which cities have the most human bodies added to their count in the last Census? What comes from that, other than things like traffic? There does seem to be lovely things that come from living around lots of super-rich people - like shopping, dining, huge corporations with high paying jobs and entertainment. And great museums, and landmarks..

I think you just don't like this metric because your town doesn't make the list.

So? Middle class people are going to McDonald over French Laundry and Best Western over the Four Seasons. Why would anyone care? This is a big free country that allows us to move around so what's the problem? Who cares, really? Being a city with high levels inequality works for some cities (the most unequal seem to be the world's most powerful cities) while others are just destined to be just middle-class places. I don't see anything wrong with this. And some cities are so huge that even in 200 years there will still be millions of middle-class. Most people don't move anywhere and the migration stats are a drop in the bucket.
What list are you talking about? The op just posted a link to an interactive tool. If you are talking about the list you posted

Counties by Top 5% Household Income:
01. New York, NY: $857,643
02. Fairfield, CT: $822,708
03. Westchester, NY: $793,134
04. Somerset, NJ: $625,869
05. Marin, CA: $624,762
06. Montgomery, MD: $567,190
07. Hunterdon, NJ: $554,015
08. Morris, NJ: $546,982
09. Nassau, NY: $538,307
10. San Francisco, CA: $523,744

I grew up right near number 6 on your list , Montgomery county. Who cares. Maryland suburbs around DC, for the most part, are very nice upper middle class suburb with good schools ,great place to raise kids and boring as hell , probably just like most of the other suburbs on that list.

So places with the most billionaires are the best? I dont consider many of the top 10 on that list like Beijing , Moscow, Shenzhen, Mumbai, Hangzhou, Istanbul etc. to be the best cities in the world because they have alot of billionaires that live there, to me its probably a sign of political corruption, vast inequalities in wealth are never a healthy sign in any society, including the US

You didnt answer my question about why cities with the most billionaires have the best entertainment. Like what? A billionaire or multimillionaire can have fun anywhere including el paso or jacksonville, but what about non billionaires ? I have more fun in countries that arent really rich like costa rica,thailand and the caribbean with all the gambling and girls not to mention amazing sailing and diving,tons of outdoor stuff. Outside of vegas ,those places are alot more fun than our rich and boring cities

Shopping is that important to you? Most places have the same chains that our gentrified big cities have.

How does having billionaires close to you and gentrification improve your city? Bland chain stores everywhere like starbucks and suburbanization, overpriced food and drink ,insane rents, high end stores most people cant afford to go in because you are trying to pay the rent,, third rate public transit, cost of living driving out artists, filmmakers, and creative types and you get more trust fund babies and finance guys, not to mention exploding homelessness and evictions. Gentrification rarely makes a city more fun, at least hasnt in america

Old 05-13-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
You didnt answer my question about why cities with the most billionaires have the best entertainment.

I'll answer when you tell me what makes living in a city with a lot of middle-class family refugees from high COL cities great. Increased traffic? Strained infrastructure? More McDonalds and Applebees to satisfy the growing population of those types of people?

Why is caring about population increase any better than caring where rich people live? I guess both are trivial to the average person, but since this is City-Data, all types of data are analyzed.

Also, you have to compare them within their own country since people can't just freely move from country to country. It's not like I can pack up and move to London tomorrow. And yes, Moscow has the most entertainment in Russia. Beijing has the most entertainment China. London has the most entertainment in Europe. Dubai has the most entertainment in the Mid-East. And yes, New York has the most entertainment in America. What a coincidence!!!! It's such a coincidence that the places with the most billionaires/economic capital of each region/country are the most famous and have the most entertainment and amenities!

Last edited by jamezz; 05-13-2016 at 02:38 PM..

Old 05-13-2016, 02:27 PM

Quote:

I grew up right near number 6 on your list , Montgomery county. Who cares. Maryland suburbs around DC, for the most part, are very nice upper middle class suburb with good schools ,great place to raise kids and boring as hell , probably just like most of the other suburbs on that list.
The DC area is one of the least boring metros in the U.S., so it basically proves the point being made.
Quote:
So places with the most billionaires are the best? I dont consider many of the top 10 on that list like Beijing , Moscow, Shenzhen, Mumbai, Hangzhou, Istanbul etc. to be the best cities in the world because they have alot of billionaires that live there, to me its probably a sign of political corruption, vast inequalities in wealth are never a healthy sign in any society, including the US
You're confusing rate and number. Places with the highest number of wealthy people may or may not be interesting. An enormous city will probably have lots of rich people. But concentrations of wealth are certainly relevant, and cities with high proportions of wealthy people (the NYC and Londons of the world) are generally considered the most exciting, healthy, and desirable cities in the world.
Quote:
You didnt answer my question about why cities with the most billionaires have the best entertainment.
Rich people can live anywhere. Their location choice says a lot about which cities are most desirable. And entertainment/leisure is an important part of a city's relative attraction.

Old 05-13-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:
How does having billionaires close to you and gentrification improve your city?
The relative health of an area is dependent on the economic viability of the region. Obviously it's a good thing when gentrification occurs, as it's just a fancy way of saying economic improvement.

Rich people are vital to economic health because they pay the bulk of taxes. In NYC the wealthiest 1% pay something like 60% of city taxes. So obviously if they all moved to Timbuktu it would be bad for schools, hospitals, transit, welfare, public services, etc.

Old 05-13-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Like I said, these numbers seem more like the top 5%.

Here is the top 1% household income for CA metros.

Img from my flickr acct
Interesting. Why does it show that LA's rich are poorer than average?

Average income of top 1% in the United States is $1,671,536 (in 2013).

Baseline Distribution of Cash Income and Federal Taxes; by Cash Income Percentile, 2004-2022

Last edited by jamezz; 05-13-2016 at 02:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City