Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 12:10 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward234 View Post
If we're comparing Seattle and its immediate surroundings to Silicon Valley (and not just the cities of Seattle and San Jose proper), then I still think Seattle wins. Downtown Seattle and Bellevue (Bellevue Square, the Bravern, etc,) alone have most of those stores and/or products available, as well as many others that can't be found in San Jose and its immediate surroundings (including Santana Row). Also, if we're just comparing downtown areas, Seattle wins in a landslide. Of course, if you're looking at the CSA level and including SF than the Bay Area absolutely wins.
Uh, the stores I listed are located in Santa Clara county. I dont know what boutiques and high end department stores are located up there which is why I ask, but SJ beats every under 2 million MSA except Honolulu as far as shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 12:29 PM

429 posts, read 479,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Uh, the stores I listed are located in Santa Clara county. I dont know what boutiques and high end department stores are located up there which is why I ask, but SJ beats every under 2 million MSA except Honolulu as far as shopping.
That's what I mean. I think the Seattle MSA - or even just King County - beats the San Jose MSA in terms of high end shopping. But obviously Seattle's MSA is significant bigger, so I don't disagree with your statement about San Jose being in the top 2 for under 2 million MSAs.

Old 08-05-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward234 View Post
That's what I mean. I think the Seattle MSA - or even just King County - beats the San Jose MSA in terms of high end shopping. But obviously Seattle's MSA is significant bigger, so I don't disagree with your statement about San Jose being in the top 2 for under 2 million MSAs.
Except, San Jose has stores that I can't seem to find in Seattle, like Bloomingdales and ultra high end boutiques like Balenciaga and Saint Laurent Paris. That's extremely telling.

Otoh, Seattle has a Barneys New York though, which is very chic, while SJ doesnt...although SF does.

Old 08-05-2016, 01:29 PM

429 posts, read 479,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Except, San Jose has stores that I can't seem to find in Seattle, like Bloomingdales and ultra high end boutiques like Balenciaga and Saint Laurent Paris. That's extremely telling.

Otoh, Seattle has a Barneys New York though, which is very chic, while SJ doesnt...although SF does.
Downtown Seattle has a lot of high-end shopping but it's more difficult to find a comprehensive list since it's not a mall.

Bellevue Square and the Bravern in Bellevue both have pretty strong high-end shopping as well, and those are listed:

Bellevue Shops | Bravern

Search Stores - The Bellevue Collection

Also, although most of Downtown Seattle's high end is street-level retail, it does have a couple of high end urban malls, including Pacific Place: http://www.pacificplaceseattle.com/shop/

Seattle also has several walkable neighborhoods outside of Downtown with a range of unique, boutiquey clothing stores - Fremont, Ballard, University District, Capitol Hill, Upper Queen Anne. That's something San Jose doesn't really have. See a couple of examples below:

https://totokaelo.com/

http://lesamis-inc.com/

Last edited by Edward234; 08-05-2016 at 01:40 PM..

Old 08-05-2016, 05:59 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,922,710 times
San Jose has Willow Glen, Japan Town, Alameda, San Carlos and many different local cities with street level shopping/boutiques. Downtown SJ creams Dt. Seattle in overall ambiance and urban experience. It has little shopping but a lot of everything else in very short walking distant with several activated and lively parks. Seatac messes with wrong metro area, San Jose/Silicon Valley. Look at the prices! You get what you paid for. The high costs explain everything!

Old 08-05-2016, 08:04 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
If you go to college, study economics.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:30 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I'd definitely live in Seattle over San Jose and the SV. The Silicon Valley is only so expensive because of housing demand and everyone who works or wants to work in the tech industry. Seattle is more cosmopolitan and has much more to do than the San Jose area.
Agreed, Silicon Valley is rather dull and an extremely overpriced giant suburb.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:30 PM

30,352 posts, read 19,128,594 times
I love Silicon Valley area and definitely prefer the climate and there is even more to do in the area (SF, Pacific beaches, Tahoe, Yosemite) than there is in Seattle area. However, considering the cost and lower taxes of living in Washington versus Cali, I would choose Seattle unless I were making at least 30% more in Silicon.

Old 08-05-2016, 11:49 PM

977 posts, read 1,010,696 times
Wait, wait, wait. We were doing Silicon Valley vs Seattle metro, not Bay Area vs Seattle metro.

Old 08-06-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Agreed, Silicon Valley is rather dull and an extremely overpriced giant suburb.
Haha to each his own, but we're talking about a place tbat attracts the best and brightest from around the world. Nations petition for nonstop flights to the Bay Area just to be closer to the industry. Heads of state and titans of global commerce flock here to see how its done. In starting to think that maybe having a dull appearance is how the valley unwinds from its daily task of innovating the world. LOL.

As far as being overpriced, its more of an issue of lack of supply.

Median Home Price, June 2016
Santa Clara County, CA $1,050,000
King County, WA $500,000
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City