Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 03:13 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay135 View Post
Well does Seattle have all those things offered that I wanted, because I hear that Seattle is thought for a black male in dating and making friends. And it's anti-social. Also I see no comparisons to New York lol.
I'll take a wild guess and say that LA likely has a much better dating scene than Seattle for men of any demographic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2016, 05:52 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Hi I am a 27 year old black male living in Atlanta. I am originally from NJ and have been living in Atlanta for about 15 years. Right now I need a new change a pace, I love what Atlanta is becoming and what it offers, but I just feel so stagnant here. I feel like I am being called elsewhere. I am a city person but also laid back. I like the art scene, outdoor activities, video games, and meeting new people.

I want to live in place that has those things and also a great dating scene(race doesn't matter) I want to get a job as a web developer. So which city would give me more to offer in QoL, income, meeting friends, good vibes, dating and giving me a new change of pace than Atlanta.

Also what good neighborhoods in those cities would best to suggest. Looking for a 1br or studios in range of $1500-1800
Probably the greater the number of details you provide, the easier this would be to answer. So far, I'd think LA seems like it might be a better spot, but I'd also say it might make more sense to see if you can get job transfers in both and see where you get the best offers from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Depends. LA has a bigger and denser urban core. Seattle has a bigger and denser greater-downtown area, with more construction.

In any case, I said "classically urban," which is about style and feel, not density per se.
I don't think there's a good case that Seattle has a bigger and denser greater-downtown area with more construction, nor that the greater downtown area of Seattle is more "classically urban" than Los Angeles's is. Seattle's downtown has certainly been booming, but LA's has been doing so as well and at a greater pace because there were many underutilized buildings that were quick and easy to convert.

Old 10-16-2016, 06:11 PM

73 posts, read 122,690 times
Well I would be sending job applications to both cities. But yea I like having things to do at my fingertips, and living somewhere where it never sleeps. The only big con of living in NYC is the winter colds, but I should be used to that after living in Boston for 3 years

Old 10-16-2016, 06:14 PM

508 posts, read 503,795 times
Quote:
Well I would be sending job applications to both cities. But yea I like having things to do at my fingertips, and living somewhere where it never sleeps. The only big con of living in NYC is the winter colds, but I should be used to that after living in Boston for 3 years

Sounds like NYC it is!

Old 10-16-2016, 11:37 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,475,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afropack-man View Post
Sounds like NYC it is!
Yeah NYC is definitely the city that doesn't sleep. Even when I get off from work after midnight on a weekday in a super residential Queens, neighborhood, there are still a lot of people walking around.

I'm not sure what LA is like, but I have to imagine not like that.

Old 10-17-2016, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Yeah NYC is definitely the city that doesn't sleep. Even when I get off from work after midnight on a weekday in a super residential Queens, neighborhood, there are still a lot of people walking around.

I'm not sure what LA is like, but I have to imagine not like that.
Nope not like that at all. That's why NYC is perfect for his needs. One more person for NYC, one less transplant in L.A.

Old 10-17-2016, 03:36 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,475,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afropack-man View Post
Nope not like that at all. That's why NYC is perfect for his needs. One more person for NYC, one less transplant in L.A.
NYC already has tons of transplants lol

But yeah that's why I don't think I would like LA to live full time, as a New Yorker I love having late night food options. As well as walkability which applies to any time of day.

And bars stay open til 4 here rather than 2, which I think is a huge plus if you're into nightlife.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
NYC already has tons of transplants lol

But yeah that's why I don't think I would like LA to live full time, as a New Yorker I love having late night food options. As well as walkability which applies to any time of day.

And bars stay open til 4 here rather than 2, which I think is a huge plus if you're into nightlife.
yup its great!

Old 10-17-2016, 11:45 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
In any case, I said "classically urban," which is about style and feel, not density per se.
Yeah, I think Los Angeles is more "classically urban" than Seattle too, by a lot.

In Downtown Los Angeles itself there is the historic core and the Jewelry District, which were built up from 1890-1940. These areas have older 19th and (especially) 20th century stock of architecture and their structural build are from nearly a century ago, at a time when Los Angeles was a bigger city than Seattle.

These historic stock of architecture and structures go out west from Downtown Los Angeles too, they spill into Koreatown, you'll see them all over Koreatown near Gramercy Place on Wilshire and lots of different use structures as well from this era (historic offices, historic hotels, historic residentials, historic theaters, so on). They continue extending through Mid-City and head out further west.

This is not to say that Seattle doesn't have its early 20th century areas and corridors but it is smaller and less active. This "classically urban" core region in Los Angeles spans a longer and greater length than any similar corridor in Seattle. Not to mention having better transit access, higher population density, higher structural density, and finally, more pedestrian activity spread between multiple street corridors.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:59 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
Yeah, I think Los Angeles is more "classically urban" than Seattle too, by a lot.

In Downtown Los Angeles itself there is the historic core and the Jewelry District, which were built up from 1890-1940. These areas have older 19th and (especially) 20th century stock of architecture and their structural build are from nearly a century ago, at a time when Los Angeles was a bigger city than Seattle.

These historic stock of architecture and structures go out west from Downtown Los Angeles too, they spill into Koreatown, you'll see them all over Koreatown near Gramercy Place on Wilshire and lots of different use structures as well from this era (historic offices, historic hotels, historic residentials, historic theaters, so on). They continue extending through Mid-City and head out further west.

This is not to say that Seattle doesn't have its early 20th century areas and corridors but it is smaller and less active. This "classically urban" core region in Los Angeles spans a longer and greater length than any similar corridor in Seattle. Not to mention having better transit access, higher population density, higher structural density, and finally, more pedestrian activity spread between multiple street corridors.
Though maybe it's been several years out since he's seen downtown LA. The place was pretty dumpy and dead after hours for a very long time up until the last decade or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City