Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 03:14 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,298,761 times

Advertisements

If it was me. I would have took some of the influences from Spanish Colonial Architecture, Victorian architecture, and Mediterranean architecture to emphasize the Mediterranean Climate. It would look something like a mix of San Francisco and Westlake in the core and Santa Barbara on the suburban parts.

And instead of having Downtown LA be in the Northwestern part of the city. I'd move it to where South LA is, and have a dense urban core around 60-70 square miles or so, and the surburban areas would start 10 miles from the core, and have a bit more green space with less density. Which will be serviced by streets cars as a alternative to using a car.

The Los Angeles River would also be in its natural state like this.

The street grid, would be in a plaza style like in Latin American cities. With main streets leading up to the Plaza in the center.

Something like this would be what Downtown Los Angeles would look like.

What would you do if you had the chance to design Los Angeles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 05:10 PM

23,535 posts, read 24,022,219 times
An effective subway system with stops every 1/4th to 1/3rd of a mile that runs 24/7.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:07 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
An effective subway system with stops every 1/4th to 1/3rd of a mile that runs 24/7.
Is that even reasonable? That's what NYC is. hipcat's post is a well-thought plan as to how he would design LA. I just don't see how a subway system like that could exist in LA.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:33 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
The L.A. River floods easily and has a wide flood plain; that's why it's in a concrete gully.

Every hub street arrangement city I've been in is a driving nightmare: Detroit, Washington D.C., for example.

Just sayin'.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:07 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Way too close together. 1/2 mile at the closest.

I've lived in a place with stops that close together. It's miserably tedious.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:53 PM

23,535 posts, read 24,022,219 times
Remember, the question is: "how would you design Los Angeles?" It is a hypothetical question.

Design implies that an architect has the opportunity to structure something before things are built. It could exist (hypothetically) if it was factored properly into the city infrastructure. Again, in reality, it won't occur since LA is already built up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Is that even reasonable? That's what NYC is. hipcat's post is a well-thought plan as to how he would design LA. I just don't see how a subway system like that could exist in LA.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:45 AM

82 posts, read 150,657 times
I'd demo all the ghettos and build haciendas and villas. Do the coastal areas like a modern Valencia or coastal Lauderdale or Sarasota.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:52 AM

788 posts, read 1,877,101 times
burn down the city and make it a nature preserve. Let's face it, the city is already a total loss to humanity.

Haha, only kidding. I would probably install more Bus Rapid Transit similar to Latin American cities and create larger, regional parks. I would complete redo the industrial areas south/east of downtown. Lastly, I would create 4-5 subway lines, accompanied by 3-4 at-grade light rail and then increase the density allowed in the areas serviced by the major modes of transport.

I'd also make room for that high speed rail to travel straight to Tijuana.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:58 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,345,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhanifin View Post
burn down the city and make it a nature preserve. Let's face it, the city is already a total loss to humanity.

Haha, only kidding. I would probably install more Bus Rapid Transit similar to Latin American cities and create larger, regional parks. I would complete redo the industrial areas south/east of downtown. Lastly, I would create 4-5 subway lines, accompanied by 3-4 at-grade light rail and then increase the density allowed in the areas serviced by the major modes of transport.

I'd also make room for that high speed rail to travel straight to Tijuana.
Maybe after the next 9.0 or greater "big one" hits and does the dirty destruction for us !

Old 10-23-2014, 03:54 PM

807 posts, read 898,080 times
Assuming that the sky's the limit on what we're allowed to do, I would split DTLA into an inner hub and an outer hub.

The inner hub will be well covered by light rail and/or subway. Nearly all of the roads will be smaller, sized for electric golf carts, bicycles, pedestrians with maybe a maximum vehicle size of something like the old Scion xA. Multiple large parking structures will be at the hub's outer border and serve as hubs for transitioning from standard cars into mass transit, mini cars/carts, bikes, auto-driving taxis. A handful of strategically placed full-sized access roads will be left for transporting heavy cargo and construction materials. Inner hub structures should be very tall and dense, typically for residential, supporting goods and services, tourism, arts, and office work like finance and software.

The outer hub would have more conventional infrastructure, with density about what we see in today's DTLA. It will still be served by Metro light rail and subway but contain full-sized streets like what we have. Heavy manufacturing structures can be placed out here, with freer access to transport raw materials and finished goods. Freeways will cut since they can't go directly through the inner hub.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles