Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the best?
Austin 136 70.47%
Memphis 57 29.53%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 11:29 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Not really feeling Texas so I can't really speak on Austin, Since I'm not feeling Texas I probably would not like Austin, But I hear good things about it, I remember about a year ago I was at Chilli's in Memphis and the waitress was from Austin and was saying how much she misses Home (Austin)...so go figure

Economically it is No Question, Austin Smashes Memphis

However Memphis is turning the corner economically, There are some articles on the net even starting to call Memphis"Prosperous" and "Booming" Words I Never hear when describing Memphis but go figure

I say That to Say This, with recent additions Memphis is seriously becoming a cool(er) city 2016 Memphis is Much better than 2013 Memphis, 2016 Memphis is on a whole another level from 2008 Memphis.
Memphis is seeing some improvement. Austin appears to be more popular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 11:05 PM

9 posts, read 10,970 times
People: A draw. Born and raised in Memphis and also live and work next to the only hostel in the city so I meet a lot of people coming through. Memphis is a friendly city and it definitely takes a certain type of person to live here, but Memphians are passionate about their city. Austin people are cool and hip but they're also a bit pretentious about what defines an Austinite. Many of the people I met when I asked if they were from Austin said no but then said they'd lived in the city for 10+ years. Seems to be a divide between the locals vs. "real" locals that doesn't exist in Memphis. However in the trips I've made to Austin I've met some really cool and easy to talk to people that I'm still friends with.

Food: A draw. Anyone who says Memphis is just BBQ has clearly never been to Memphis. There's a huge, booming food scene in addition to the best BBQ in the US. Anyone who's curious, just look up Karen Carrier, Andrew Ticer/Michael Hudman, and Kelly English. Look at the funky things they do with food, their successes in cities outside of Memphis as well as within Memphis, the multiple restaurants they each operate within the city. Fine dining without the pretentiousness, absolutely phenomenal. Austin's food truck scene is ridiculously unique and memorable and they've got some cool places too. I know a little less about Austin because I work in food service in Memphis, but the cocktail bars, restaurants, dive bars, food trucks, etc all across the city that I have visited have all been cool in their own right. However Austin definitely feels like they're trying to be great and trying to compete in ways that the Memphis food scene doesn't really do.

Shopping: Austin wins this one. Bigger city, more options, cool vintage shops along SoCo, big name stores that Memphis doesn't have. Not to say that Memphis doesn't have quirky vintage shops or boutiques of their own, and Memphis is getting IKEA next week (which having lived in Sweden in the past makes me very excited!). Memphis is growing, it's just doing it later than Austin has. Memphis has the potential to be Austin or Austin level in 5-10 years.

Scenery: I love my city dearly but Austin wins this one by default. Anyone who says otherwise has never kayaked through the city mid-day. I'd kill to do that in Memphis but alas, flat farm land and a muddy river is great for an agricultural economy but not so great for scenery or outdoors activities. Both cities are pretty damn hot and any local from either place acts shocked when a local from the other tries to assert its hotter in their city. They both suffer from that muggy humid heat in the summer that makes you feel like you're dying, but Austin's lasts longer and it gets less cold. Not saying Memphis gets that cold in the winter, just enough to have that one snow day that turns out to be ice and disappoints you greatly as a child.

Schools: Austin for sure. Half the people in Memphis send their kids to private schools and Tennessee consistently has one of the worst education programs in the country. For secondary education, both have great schools in different areas. Austin doesn't have a med school that I know of, at least not one ranked well enough to care about. University of Tennessee Med is in Memphis. Whereas University of Texas Law is in Austin. UT Austin is a better undergrad than University of Memphis. Rhodes College is pretty well regarded in Memphis though idk enough about Austin's other colleges besides UT to really make a decision based off that. That being said UT Austin is HUUUUGE and not my cup of tea. In some regards Austin almost felt like a really huge college town turned major city in the way that people feel about that school and the school is a huge part of the city. I like that Memphis and its schools have their own complimentary personalities but once again that's more personal preference.

Mass Transit: MATA is a joke in Memphis. The trolleys were charming when they worked and now we've had "trolley" style busses for 2+ years while waiting on the actual trolleys to be fixed instead of spending our money fixing the system for people who actually LIVE here instead of tourists. Austin's bus system has its own app with easy to understand stops/directions/purchasing instructions, seems to run in the areas you need it to, and is actually utilized by a good portion of the population. Austin wins this one.

Economy: This one's a double edged sword. Austin is growing faster than its citizens like, meaning their COL is getting higher because of its economic growth. It's a prosperous city but how prosperous can it be if its locals are being priced out? In Memphis I live in one of the hippest neighborhoods in town with a 2bd house that has central heat and air, upgraded appliances, hardwood floors, original fireplace, and with a fenced yard for $1250 a month. 1 bedroom duplexes in this neighborhood regularly go for $600 a month, feasible for even the servers in the neighborhood to live here. Go to SoCo or Rainey and tell me how many of your bartenders can afford to live anywhere near where they work.

Cleanliness: They're both pretty clean cities in the areas you want to be in but Memphis definitely has more grit and has a plethora of those neighborhoods you want to avoid. Austin's probably cleaner in that regard. There's more homeless in downtown Austin but I don't personally see that as a bad thing but more part of it having more going on downtown. Memphis is spread out differently so it just is spread out more across the city.

Crime: Austin wins this without any explanation needed, though I will say that crime is overblown as a factor for why Memphis is or isn't a good city because most violence is gang, drug, or domestic violence. Most people know their perp and I've never felt unsafe as a single white female.

Brighter Future: Memphis. $8 billion in investments into Memphis to grow this city going on right now. Revitalization projects all around town using the historical buildings to create something new, keeping our history instead of building up like many cities who were growing 10 years ago did.

Downtown: Austin. The view of the Capitol, those tall pretty buildings, easy walkability. Memphis doesn't really do much with its downtown. It's not really a thing but there's a lot of work being done to change that, by moving offices downtown, putting in more hotels, some recent restaurants going down there, even all the work done on South Main the past 10 years. It's just not that traditional downtown that Austin has.

Don't sell Memphis short. Give it 5-10 years and I think it'll be giving a lot of cities a run for their money and they won't even see it coming. Austin is the obvious answer but Memphis definitely is a contender in this race!

Old 12-10-2016, 08:09 AM

247 posts, read 336,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katsiano View Post
People: A draw. Born and raised in Memphis and also live and work next to the only hostel in the city so I meet a lot of people coming through. Memphis is a friendly city and it definitely takes a certain type of person to live here, but Memphians are passionate about their city. Austin people are cool and hip but they're also a bit pretentious about what defines an Austinite. Many of the people I met when I asked if they were from Austin said no but then said they'd lived in the city for 10+ years. Seems to be a divide between the locals vs. "real" locals that doesn't exist in Memphis. However in the trips I've made to Austin I've met some really cool and easy to talk to people that I'm still friends with.

Food: A draw. Anyone who says Memphis is just BBQ has clearly never been to Memphis. There's a huge, booming food scene in addition to the best BBQ in the US. Anyone who's curious, just look up Karen Carrier, Andrew Ticer/Michael Hudman, and Kelly English. Look at the funky things they do with food, their successes in cities outside of Memphis as well as within Memphis, the multiple restaurants they each operate within the city. Fine dining without the pretentiousness, absolutely phenomenal. Austin's food truck scene is ridiculously unique and memorable and they've got some cool places too. I know a little less about Austin because I work in food service in Memphis, but the cocktail bars, restaurants, dive bars, food trucks, etc all across the city that I have visited have all been cool in their own right. However Austin definitely feels like they're trying to be great and trying to compete in ways that the Memphis food scene doesn't really do.

Shopping: Austin wins this one. Bigger city, more options, cool vintage shops along SoCo, big name stores that Memphis doesn't have. Not to say that Memphis doesn't have quirky vintage shops or boutiques of their own, and Memphis is getting IKEA next week (which having lived in Sweden in the past makes me very excited!). Memphis is growing, it's just doing it later than Austin has. Memphis has the potential to be Austin or Austin level in 5-10 years.

Scenery: I love my city dearly but Austin wins this one by default. Anyone who says otherwise has never kayaked through the city mid-day. I'd kill to do that in Memphis but alas, flat farm land and a muddy river is great for an agricultural economy but not so great for scenery or outdoors activities. Both cities are pretty damn hot and any local from either place acts shocked when a local from the other tries to assert its hotter in their city. They both suffer from that muggy humid heat in the summer that makes you feel like you're dying, but Austin's lasts longer and it gets less cold. Not saying Memphis gets that cold in the winter, just enough to have that one snow day that turns out to be ice and disappoints you greatly as a child.

Schools: Austin for sure. Half the people in Memphis send their kids to private schools and Tennessee consistently has one of the worst education programs in the country. For secondary education, both have great schools in different areas. Austin doesn't have a med school that I know of, at least not one ranked well enough to care about. University of Tennessee Med is in Memphis. Whereas University of Texas Law is in Austin. UT Austin is a better undergrad than University of Memphis. Rhodes College is pretty well regarded in Memphis though idk enough about Austin's other colleges besides UT to really make a decision based off that. That being said UT Austin is HUUUUGE and not my cup of tea. In some regards Austin almost felt like a really huge college town turned major city in the way that people feel about that school and the school is a huge part of the city. I like that Memphis and its schools have their own complimentary personalities but once again that's more personal preference.

Mass Transit: MATA is a joke in Memphis. The trolleys were charming when they worked and now we've had "trolley" style busses for 2+ years while waiting on the actual trolleys to be fixed instead of spending our money fixing the system for people who actually LIVE here instead of tourists. Austin's bus system has its own app with easy to understand stops/directions/purchasing instructions, seems to run in the areas you need it to, and is actually utilized by a good portion of the population. Austin wins this one.

Economy: This one's a double edged sword. Austin is growing faster than its citizens like, meaning their COL is getting higher because of its economic growth. It's a prosperous city but how prosperous can it be if its locals are being priced out? In Memphis I live in one of the hippest neighborhoods in town with a 2bd house that has central heat and air, upgraded appliances, hardwood floors, original fireplace, and with a fenced yard for $1250 a month. 1 bedroom duplexes in this neighborhood regularly go for $600 a month, feasible for even the servers in the neighborhood to live here. Go to SoCo or Rainey and tell me how many of your bartenders can afford to live anywhere near where they work.

Cleanliness: They're both pretty clean cities in the areas you want to be in but Memphis definitely has more grit and has a plethora of those neighborhoods you want to avoid. Austin's probably cleaner in that regard. There's more homeless in downtown Austin but I don't personally see that as a bad thing but more part of it having more going on downtown. Memphis is spread out differently so it just is spread out more across the city.

Crime: Austin wins this without any explanation needed, though I will say that crime is overblown as a factor for why Memphis is or isn't a good city because most violence is gang, drug, or domestic violence. Most people know their perp and I've never felt unsafe as a single white female.

Brighter Future: Memphis. $8 billion in investments into Memphis to grow this city going on right now. Revitalization projects all around town using the historical buildings to create something new, keeping our history instead of building up like many cities who were growing 10 years ago did.

Downtown: Austin. The view of the Capitol, those tall pretty buildings, easy walkability. Memphis doesn't really do much with its downtown. It's not really a thing but there's a lot of work being done to change that, by moving offices downtown, putting in more hotels, some recent restaurants going down there, even all the work done on South Main the past 10 years. It's just not that traditional downtown that Austin has.

Don't sell Memphis short. Give it 5-10 years and I think it'll be giving a lot of cities a run for their money and they won't even see it coming. Austin is the obvious answer but Memphis definitely is a contender in this race!
Good analysis. To me, Memphis feels under the radar in a way, much like the way many wish Austin would have stayed. I really enjoyed Austin years ago, but I could understand how traffic and generally being over-crowded can ruin one's QOL.

If Memphis didn't have such a harsh reputation to overcome and people checked out what it really had a offer, I have a feeling that it would be growing at a rate similar to what Austin is-though there are many condos and apartment complexes rising at an unprecedented rate in downtown and midtown, so I think it's growing more than many realize, at least in a positive way.

[vimeo]194862694[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/194862694

Old 12-12-2016, 09:18 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,565 times
Quote:

Very good rundown on both cities katsiano. Also to answer your question. "Does Austin have a Medical School?" It's kind of funny since you asked that since Austin for the longest time has never had a school dedicated to Medical until recently. Our new Medical School is called Dell Medical Center and is located between downtown and UT.

Dell Medical School | The University of Texas at Austin

Old 12-12-2016, 09:56 PM

998 posts, read 1,324,767 times
Quote:
. However Austin definitely feels like they're trying to be great and trying to compete in ways that the Memphis food scene doesn't really do.
The same can be applied to Austin's contrived, self-promotion when it comes to its music

Old 12-13-2016, 09:48 AM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Which city do posters feel is more urban?

Old 12-13-2016, 11:37 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Which city do posters feel is more urban?
Austin

Old 12-13-2016, 01:45 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,889,291 times
I
Quote:

Wha, Bull Shish, Downtown Is like THE Primary focus of the city and the Center of Memphis Tourism and 80% of Memphis 's "New Stuff" is located in its downtown, I don't get your assessment here

Old 12-17-2016, 01:53 PM

9 posts, read 10,970 times
A city is more than its tourism. Yes it may be the center of that, but most Memphians go downtown for a purpose, it's only VERY recently that there's been a huge upswing in downtown livability. Like I said, there is a lot of work being done to change the relative lack of a downtown scene, which is why 80% of Memphis's new stuff is there (though I question that number- Crosstown, Highland Ave, Overton Square, etc are all huge projects currently and not a single one of those is downtown. Only one I can think of besides the projects I mentioned like an increase in dining, hotels, and offices, would be South Main). I maintain that most Memphians in the past 5 years have rarely gone downtown for something other than a Grizzlies game and that drinking on Beale Street has been relegated to fresh 21 year olds, tourists, and pre-FedEx Forum events. People in Memphis go downtown FOR something, whereas in other cities downtown is the place to be, at any time. Any downtown activity is relatively fresh and new. Flashback to when Automatic Slims went downtown and there was hardly any sort of downtown activity at all. All of it is relatively recent.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:55 PM

247 posts, read 336,224 times
Quote:
A city is more than its tourism. Yes it may be the center of that, but most Memphians go downtown for a purpose, it's only VERY recently that there's been a huge upswing in downtown livability. Like I said, there is a lot of work being done to change the relative lack of a downtown scene, which is why 80% of Memphis's new stuff is there (though I question that number- Crosstown, Highland Ave, Overton Square, etc are all huge projects currently and not a single one of those is downtown. Only one I can think of besides the projects I mentioned like an increase in dining, hotels, and offices, would be South Main). I maintain that most Memphians in the past 5 years have rarely gone downtown for something other than a Grizzlies game and that drinking on Beale Street has been relegated to fresh 21 year olds, tourists, and pre-FedEx Forum events. People in Memphis go downtown FOR something, whereas in other cities downtown is the place to be, at any time. Any downtown activity is relatively fresh and new. Flashback to when Automatic Slims went downtown and there was hardly any sort of downtown activity at all. All of it is relatively recent.
I agree that downtown has been underutilized, but that's definitely changing with the developments in South Bluff and South Main. There are still a ton of bars and restaurants there that aren't on Beale, while still being within walking distance from it. And Midtown is close and accessible to Downtown; the trolley (once repaired) literally connects the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City