Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these metrcities you find in general to be the most beautiful landscape,built environment ,
Dallas 8 3.54%
Phoenix 73 32.30%
Atlanta 121 53.54%
Houston 24 10.62%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 09:00 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,731,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post
Wow - tough call between Atlanta and Phoenix. I wouldn't even consider Dallas and Houston, as I don't like flat terrain. The more limited tree cover in Dallas would put it in last place for me. I can't imagine a more boring landscape than the southern Plains. Neither Dallas nor Houston have any aesthetic appeal to me, though. Houston reminds me a lot of the seedy looking suburbs around New Orleans (ever been to Metairie or Kenner... very ugly places).

Phoenix has drama and proximity to stunning landscapes; but from a daily living point of view, Atlanta has the greenery and the hills I really like. Living in Phoenix would take a lot of adaptation for me as someone who has lived almost all of my life in the Southeastern U.S.
I felt the same way you describe here when I lived out East, having spent most of my life in mountainous areas the relative flatness out East was hard to get used to. I also missed the more dramatic landscape I was surrounded by in the Southwest. And the sunsets, it's really hard to beat Arizona sunsets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 08:21 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,300,727 times
Houston
Atlanta
Dallas
Phoenix

I'm out right now, I'll expound when I get back.

Last edited by Texyn; 02-25-2017 at 09:36 PM..

Old 02-26-2017, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Houston
Atlanta
Dallas
Phoenix

I'm out right now, I'll expound when I get back.
Now it's time to expound.

My overall ranking of the four cities has Houston on top and Phoenix on the bottom. It is based on my analysis of both their natural and built features.

Natural:
1. My preferences lean towards evergreen landscapes with significant water present, as seen in the coastal South (i.e Savannah, New Orleans, Mobile, etc). As a result, Houston is first, since it is the only city here offers such features (waterfront on the bayou, with the bay/gulf nearby). It has the highest precipitation of all these cities, and has mild winters overall, so vegetation grows quite robustly.

2. Atlanta's canopy doesn't have the diversity/presence in evergreens that Houston does (due to the colder winters); however the sheer presence of the forestry (more than Houston), along with the topography, is enough to solidify second place.

3. Phoenix has the most significant topography of all these cities, and has the best ability of cultivating evergreens/tropicals (as it has the most reliably warm winters); however, the dryness in the climate prevents a lush aesthetic form, so it lands in third place for this field.

4. Dallas is last because it lacks the superlatives seen in the other cites on this front. It doesn't get the rain for respectably lush vegetation, the winters (although milder than Atlanta's) are still too cold for great frontage of evergreen, and the topography is lacking.

Built:
1. Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston honestly tie in this category for me; each have their superlatives over the other to even this feature out. Atlanta has the best urban form out of the three cities, and has a solid amount of historic buildings. Dallas has the best organization/geometry of the skyline of the three cites, and Houston's individual buildings are the most integrated to a natural feature (bayous), and carry the most interesting aesthetic (lots of award-winning designs in that skyline). All these cities have designed efficient parks for the public, and carry good landscaping.

2. Phoenix is dead last; not much in the way of interesting architecture and/or urban form, unlike the rest of these cities.

Overall:
Based on scores in the two fields, Houston is on top, while Phoenix is last. Dallas overtakes Phoenix for the overall ranking because while it was last in landscape for me, it had enough superlatives in the built form field to make up for it; additionally, Phoenix didn't score first in any category for me, while all the other cities did:
1. Houston (1,1)
2. Atlanta (2,1)
3. Dallas (4,1)
4. Phoenix (3,2)

Anyone who disagrees can feel free to critique.

Last edited by Texyn; 02-26-2017 at 10:04 PM..

Old 02-27-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
The architecture in Phoenix, Dallas, and Houston is pretty boring though, nothing actually stands out.
(?) Houston was founded around the same time as Atlanta (although Atlanta attained a higher population at an earlier time); if this thread considers metro areas as a whole, then Houston has perhaps the largest stock of 1800s buildings of all the cities here (a significant part by virtue of Galveston).

The Atlanta modern skyline doesn't look significantly different than that of Dallas or Houston; it just has a building or two more with a spire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Meh. Just recently visited Dallas a few days ago, and every time I'm there I'm struck by just how similar it is to Atlanta. If pine trees and a few big hills makes the difference between ugly and beautiful to you, then to each his own, I guess. I'm not so easily impressed. And I refuse to believe that most posters in this thread have spent any significant time observing each of these at street level.
As a matter of fact, they have not.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:35 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,784,865 times
Texyn, I have disagree with you on the skylines. Both Dallas and Houston look dominated by 70s/80s architecture, while most of Atlanta's prominent buildings were built in the 90s and onward. It has a slightly more modern look and there are definitely more crowns and spires.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Texyn, I have disagree with you on the skylines. Both Dallas and Houston look dominated by 70s/80s architecture, while most of Atlanta's prominent buildings were built in the 90s and onward. It has a slightly more modern look and there are definitely more crowns and spires.
While the Houston/Dallas buildings are older, they do offer aesthetics that help keep a "modern" look. With Dallas, the skyline has good geometric arrangement, not to mention, it lights up at night with neon. Houston has plenty of individual buildings that are quite shiny (i.e. Enron Tower, William's Tower, Heritage Plaza, etc), granting a modern appeal as well.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:34 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Now it's time to expound.

My overall ranking of the four cities has Houston on top and Phoenix on the bottom. It is based on my analysis of both their natural and built features.

Natural:
1. My preferences lean towards evergreen landscapes with significant water present, as seen in the coastal South (i.e Savannah, New Orleans, Mobile, etc). As a result, Houston is first, since it is the only city here offers such features (waterfront on the bayou, with the bay/gulf nearby). It has the highest precipitation of all these cities, and has mild winters overall, so vegetation grows quite robustly.

2. Atlanta's canopy doesn't have the diversity/presence in evergreens that Houston does (due to the colder winters); however the sheer presence of the forestry (more than Houston), along with the topography, is enough to solidify second place.

3. Phoenix has the most significant topography of all these cities, and has the best ability of cultivating evergreens/tropicals (as it has the most reliably warm winters); however, the dryness in the climate prevents a lush aesthetic form, so it lands in third place for this field.

4. Dallas is last because it lacks the superlatives seen in the other cites on this front. It doesn't get the rain for respectably lush vegetation, the winters (although milder than Atlanta's) are still too cold for great frontage of evergreen, and the topography is lacking.

Built:
1. Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston honestly tie in this category for me; each have their superlatives over the other to even this feature out. Atlanta has the best urban form out of the three cities, and has a solid amount of historic buildings. Dallas has the best organization/geometry of the skyline of the three cites, and Houston's individual buildings are the most integrated to a natural feature (bayous), and carry the most interesting aesthetic (lots of award-winning designs in that skyline). All these cities have designed efficient parks for the public, and carry good landscaping.

2. Phoenix is dead last; not much in the way of interesting architecture and/or urban form, unlike the rest of these cities.

Overall:
Based on scores in the two fields, Houston is on top, while Phoenix is last. Dallas overtakes Phoenix for the overall ranking because while it was last in landscape for me, it had enough superlatives in the built form field to make up for it; additionally, Phoenix didn't score first in any category for me, while all the other cities did:
1. Houston (1,1)
2. Atlanta (2,1)
3. Dallas (4,1)
4. Phoenix (3,2)

Anyone who disagrees can feel free to critique.
My critique in this re-opened thread is on the bold

I'd rather see HOUSTON do much more TROPICAL lushness. When I see the Oasis of the Aquarium Restaurant in downtown Houston in JANUARY still lush green PALM'S and greens. I think.... why not MUCH MORE all through the Core and city?

Evergreens over Palms and tropical shrubs and flowers? Topical is more special in a city can support it.

As for a tree-canopy? Atlanta and Minneapolis/St Paul take the win. They have in-city forest and in neighborhoods. I boast and defend Chicago. It has a tree-canopy in neighborhoods. But not the in-city forest to match.

As for the Houston bayous? Honestly, ok at best. Brown to rusty water and merely jogging, bike paths w/crisscrossing expressways overhead .... nothing special. If downtown Houston had a better Urban Park that would be great. Houston Core Bayous are ........

Old 06-15-2017, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
My critique in this re-opened thread is on the bold

I'd rather see HOUSTON do much more TROPICAL lushness. When I see the Oasis of the Aquarium Restaurant in downtown Houston in JANUARY still lush green PALM'S and greens. I think.... why not MUCH MORE all through the Core and city?

Evergreens over Palms and tropical shrubs and flowers? Topical is more special in a city can support it.
Trust me, there are many "tropical" plant varieties that should be used more in Houston. The best landscaping I've seen done in the city are by those who have actually been to tropical/subtropical areas around the world, and, thus, have direct knowledge about plants that were previously unknown to the city. Much better than many landscaping divisions that have a strict "native plants" mentality; those won't lead to great variety.

With that said, where it has been done, the landscaping jobs are decent:

The I-45 South area through the city (known as Gulf Freeway) has many areas lined with subtropical plants; many varieties of palm are in the mix, (livistonia decora, washingtonia, butia, sabal palmetto, etc), with many trees used as well (crepe myrtles, bald cypress, loblolly pines, etc). Oleanders are a common shrub species:
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7403...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.6858...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.6082...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.6089...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7271...7i13312!8i6656

US-59 in Houston around the Montrose neighborhood is covered with subtropical vines and lianas:
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7316...7i13312!8i6656

Palms are maintained even when the building lots that held them are gone (scroll to see). This shows that the city is warming up to more park-like plantings of palms; that is, planting of palms in open, public parks, beyond just restricting them to homes, medians, and businesses:
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.6792...7i13312!8i6656

Old inner city neighborhoods in the western area of the Inner Loop (Montrose, Rice, etc) are grown with old broad-leaf evergreen trees: southern magnolia, southern live oak, laurel oak, camphor laurel trees, etc. I feel that this area of Houston also has more creative landscaping in regards to the plants that are used; more varieties of interesting tender plants (many types of bamboo, foxtail palms, monstera deliciosa, oleanders, etc to be seen:
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7434...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7436...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7229...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7412...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7662...7i13312!8i6656

Parks in the city also make use of subtropical trees:
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7095...7i13312!8i6656

This thread below from another forum documents many tropical plants that are grown in Houston:
tropicals in the Houston area - TROPICAL LOOKING PLANTS - Other Than Palms - PalmTalk

Quote:
As for a tree-canopy? Atlanta and Minneapolis/St Paul take the win. They have in-city forest and in neighborhoods. I boast and defend Chicago. It has a tree-canopy in neighborhoods. But not the in-city forest to match.
Not sure about Minneapolis, but Atlanta indeed has an extensive tree canopy; I already said that in my post.

Quote:
As for the Houston bayous? Honestly, ok at best. Brown to rusty water and merely jogging, bike paths w/crisscrossing expressways overhead .... nothing special. If downtown Houston had a better Urban Park that would be great. Houston Core Bayous are ........
The jogging/biking paths are merely the start of a city-wide project to integrate the bayous with the urban fabric:
Houston Parks Board: Explore the Bayou Greenways

The water color varies depending on depth, as well as sediment carried. Buffalo Bayou is from west and into downtown, but going east, it gets deeper, and the brown starts to diffuse away:
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7238...7i13312!8i6656

Other bayous in the city, such as Brays, aren't as brown:
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7304...7i13312!8i6656

Old 09-23-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Says to me that posters either prefer deserts or forest, and don't much care for what lies between.
Actually, it's more that posters like elevated topography, a feature that both Atlanta and Phoenix have that is lacking in Dallas and Houston.

Last edited by Texyn; 09-23-2017 at 03:29 PM..

Old 09-23-2017, 03:26 PM

222 posts, read 281,753 times
Phoenix.

Cities with narrow streets and old houses bother me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City