Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these metrcities you find in general to be the most beautiful landscape,built environment ,
Dallas 8 3.54%
Phoenix 73 32.30%
Atlanta 121 53.54%
Houston 24 10.62%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 09:45 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,427,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Are you talking about Stone Mountain? Or the ones some 40+ miles away? I'm talking about 1,000' or more within 10 miles of downtown. Checkout Phoenix views.
Phoenix is 517 sq mi,Atlanta is 138 so Im sure mountains are closer to its city limits.Its ridiculous to try and squabble over something as petty as arbitrary borders that have no affect on how often the people in any of theses cities interact with their surrounding nature.

Kennesaw Mountain is the highest elevated point in Atlanta metro,not Stone Mountain(around 1800 vs around 1600)Thats metro Atlanta not the city limits.Even so ,surely you ae not suggesting that beauty is defined by 1000 ft or so because that what it seems like you are saying.

There are several mountains in the Atlanta area and yes the Appalachians are within an hour drive from Downtown but closer depending on where in the metro you live but Mountains themselves dont make the actual city beautiful.
Its the topography.The trees,hills and particularly the neighborhoods.

I lived in Phoenix briefly so I know the surround area is nice but the city while nice is not representative of the surrounding area.

Last edited by JMT; 02-15-2017 at 08:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2017, 12:06 AM

2,868 posts, read 2,815,031 times
1. Atlanta

2. Phoenix

(Scroll down for an hour)
... Dallas/Houston

Houston wins out over Dallas though for having palm trees.

Old 02-11-2017, 12:19 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,881,270 times
ROFLMAO @ 3 drunk homers voting for Dallas. Compared to Atlanta and Phoenix, Dallas and Houston are about as scenic as a truck stop parking lot.

Old 02-11-2017, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
ROFLMAO @ 3 drunk homers voting for Dallas. Compared to Atlanta and Phoenix, Dallas and Houston are about as scenic as a truck stop parking lot.
ouch.lol

Old 02-11-2017, 05:43 AM

686 posts, read 621,703 times
Irradiated, barren landscapes don't do it for me.
Dallas has no charm to speak of.
Haven't been to Houston so I can only speak of what I've seen in photos. It looks like Tampa on steroids, but fewer palm trees.

So I vote Atlanta, which I probably would have done anyway.

Old 02-11-2017, 08:02 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,731,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post
Phoenix is 517 sq mi,Atlanta is 138 so Im sure mountains are closer to its city limits.Its ridiculous to try and squabble over something as petty as arbitrary borders that have no affect on how often the people in any of theses cities interact with their surrounding nature.

Kennesaw Mountain is the highest elevated point in Atlanta metro,not Stone Mountain(around 1800 vs around 1600)Thats metro Atlanta not the city limits.Even so ,surely you ae not suggesting that beauty is defined by 1000 ft or so because that what it seems like you are saying.

There are several mountains in the Atlanta area and yes the Appalachians are within an hour drive from Downtown but closer depending on where in the metro you live but Mountains themselves dont make the actual city beautiful.
Its the topography.The trees,hills and particularly the neighborhoods.

I lived in Phoenix briefly so I know the surround area is nice but the city while nice is not representative of the surrounding area.

So mountain's don't make a city beautiful it's the topography and hills?

Anyways, since that's your opinion and we clearly disagree here's the difference-

Knnesaw: 1800 at the top, 1000' at the bottom (1800-1000) = 800' of prominence 4500 acres.
South Mountain: 2,700' at the top, 1,000 in Phoenix down below = 1700' of prominence 16,000 acres.
Phoenix Mountain Preserve: 7,000 acres, 1,500' prominence.

That's just 2 of many in Phoenix and the surrounding areas.

Oh, and regarding distance, yeah Phoenix is a lot bigger, I'm just talking distance from downtown (roughly heritage square). 5 miles to south mountain (which is actually a mountain range, not a single mountain) and 8 miles to Phoenix Mountain Preserve (another range).

By the way, a good chunk of the 517 square miles that is Phoenix city limits is not developed, something to the tune of 150-200 of those square miles. That area stat also includes the over 41,000 acres (61 square miles) of city parks like South Mountain and Phoenix Mountain Preserve among others.

If that doesn't work try this, google Phoenix Skyline pictures versus Atlanta Skyline pictures, the difference is blatant.

Old 02-11-2017, 10:37 AM

182 posts, read 226,099 times
Anybody who votes Dallas is either a homer or lying. Dallas is probably the ugliest major city there is.

Houston is a tiny step up from Houston, but not by much. The beaches near Houston (Galveston) are trash and it's really flat. The vegetation and palm trees are nice tho.

So between atl and phx....Can't go wrong with either but personally I dont like barren brown landscapes, I prefer green...Phoenix is pretty tho.

So my vote goes for atl

Old 02-11-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
So mountain's don't make a city beautiful it's the topography and hills?

Anyways, since that's your opinion and we clearly disagree here's the difference-

Knnesaw: 1800 at the top, 1000' at the bottom (1800-1000) = 800' of prominence 4500 acres.
South Mountain: 2,700' at the top, 1,000 in Phoenix down below = 1700' of prominence 16,000 acres.
Phoenix Mountain Preserve: 7,000 acres, 1,500' prominence.

That's just 2 of many in Phoenix and the surrounding areas.

Oh, and regarding distance, yeah Phoenix is a lot bigger, I'm just talking distance from downtown (roughly heritage square). 5 miles to south mountain (which is actually a mountain range, not a single mountain) and 8 miles to Phoenix Mountain Preserve (another range).

By the way, a good chunk of the 517 square miles that is Phoenix city limits is not developed, something to the tune of 150-200 of those square miles. That area stat also includes the over 41,000 acres (61 square miles) of city parks like South Mountain and Phoenix Mountain Preserve among others.

If that doesn't work try this, google Phoenix Skyline pictures versus Atlanta Skyline pictures, the difference is blatant.
I told you,I lived in Phoenix.I know what it looks like,NOT ONE of Phoenix neighborhoods can hold a candle to Candler or Inman Park,Buckhead etc,
Phoenix (downtown) is not anything special.Its buildings are bland as hell and its neighborhood all look he same.

Trees and Hills make Atlanta beautiful I never said Phoenix.You dont have to agree but if you look many people seem to be in the same opinion.

the built environment within its natural setting makes a city beautiful.A park will always be beautiful.Its a PARK.These are cities.Part of the reason many people dont like Phoenix because its not urban enough.
Atlanta is better but has more nodes of urbanity especially with things like the BeltLine which incorporates nature and urbanity.
Last time I was in Phoenix has been awhile but I dont think many of those parks are incorporated in the cities urban fabric.
Again since when does height make a place less or more beautiful?

Old 02-11-2017, 02:54 PM

992 posts, read 875,028 times
Forests are overrated. Deserts and mountains are underrated. Phoenix it is!

Old 02-11-2017, 07:27 PM

Quote:
How wouldn't it make a difference? The dramatic backdrop of large mountains with the city skyline in front of it is massively different then gentle rolling hills.
Its a skyline view.What about on the ground where people live?Phoenix does not even have an impressive skyline that why you posted a night picture.Shiny lights always make any picture look better.
Phoenix has the most bland buildings I have ever seen.

The mountains are camouflage for the bland skyline.Mountains always look nice in any setting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City