Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 12:58 AM

33 posts, read 67,455 times

Advertisements

We've all heard the phrase a million times, but we've never done a ranking! This is NOT a listing of the most liberal cities. It's about the influence each city has on the hearts and minds of blue America.

Tier 1A: "Citadels"
New York City (home to the financial and media elite), Los Angeles (the Hollywood elite), San Francisco (the technological elite), and Washington, D.C. (the government elite)

Tier 1B: "Powerhouses" (with no particular monopoly like the first four)
Chicago, Boston, and Seattle

Tier 2: "Fortresses"
Miami, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Denver, San Diego, Atlanta, Austin, Portland, and Minneapolis

Tier 3: "Outposts"
The rest of the major cities and certain college towns

This is all in good fun. Please keep it civil!

Last edited by NIMBYS IN SPACE; 07-29-2017 at 01:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 10:24 AM

311 posts, read 314,521 times
Very interesting thread, hope some good responses come in. Pretty solid categorization too.

Old 07-29-2017, 11:19 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,579,737 times
chould boston be in 1-a because of ivory tower education impact ?
you can barely **** 2 feet in cambridge without hitting someone bragging about their masters degree in sociology.

Old 07-29-2017, 11:28 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,701,356 times
Interesting topic.. I agree with the citadels, although I think fortresses is where it gets tricky.

I don't see how alot of the fortress cities "influence" blue America? I think they are safe havens and strong individual contributors but influence? Not sure.

Old 07-29-2017, 01:02 PM

311 posts, read 314,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
chould boston be in 1-a because of ivory tower education impact ?
you can barely **** 2 feet in cambridge without hitting someone bragging about their masters degree in sociology.
I was thinking along the same lines as well. Perhaps Boston could be a "citadel" comprising the "educational elite." There's a good case to keep it with Chicago and Seattle too tho, which are no slouches themselves.

Old 07-29-2017, 02:51 PM

I was considering putting Boston in Tier 1A, but decided against it for two reasons. First, it doesn't really monopolize the education industry in the same way the Bay Area monopolizes tech, for example, and there are several wonderful universities in all of these metros. Second, Boston just doesn't seem big enough to be top tier. D.C. Is small too, but its monuments and institutions lend it the necessary gravitas. Actually, my biggest quandary was whether to include Chicago in the first group.

Old 07-29-2017, 03:13 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,472,464 times
I don't see Miami as all that liberal. Even if Miami-Dade County leans democratically, its not really a "liberal" place. Certainly not the kind of liberal you find in Austin and definitely not Portland. Miami's a more moderate city, and its got probably the highest concentration of Hispanic republicans.

Miami's a party city more than anything, and the elitists there are elitist about how much money you make or how big your boobs are, or if you got a nice tan and what car you drive. Its not political elitist, its superficial elitist.

Old 07-29-2017, 03:14 PM

14,057 posts, read 13,953,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I don't see Miami as all that liberal. Even if Miami-Dade County leans democratically, its not really a "liberal" place. Certainly not the kind of liberal you find in Austin and definitely not Portland. Miami's a more moderate city, and its got probably the highest concentration of Hispanic republicans.

Miami's a party city more than anything, and the elitists there are elitist about how much money you make or how big your boobs are, or if you got a nice tan and what car you drive. Its not political elitist, its superficial elitist.
Sound like Los Angeles California

Old 07-29-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Interesting topic.. I agree with the citadels, although I think fortresses is where it gets tricky.

I don't see how alot of the fortress cities "influence" blue America? I think they are safe havens and strong individual contributors but influence? Not sure.
I guess it's more about the fortress cities being acceptable places for the liberal yuppies and their ilk. For example, a New York snob with cultural pretensions would probably be willing to take a job in Minneapolis or move to Denver to be closer to a spouse's family, whereas Colorado Springs might be too red. There's an invisible line that can't be crossed.

Old 07-29-2017, 05:22 PM

10,756 posts, read 23,840,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIMBYS IN SPACE View Post
I guess it's more about the fortress cities being acceptable places for the liberal yuppies and their ilk. For example, a New York snob with cultural pretensions would probably be willing to take a job in Minneapolis or move to Denver to be closer to a spouse's family, whereas Colorado Springs might be too red. There's an invisible line that can't be crossed.
Cities like Portland and Denver adopted liberal elitist trends in large part from transplants that relocated from the Citadel and Powerhouse cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City