Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2017, 03:50 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
4. Chicago: Obviously one of the most historic but I would question how safe it is at this point with the spike in crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 04:17 PM

429 posts, read 479,603 times
Quote:

I beg the differ. If Cleveland and Baltimore are on the list, Denver should be too as well as Miami and Dallas IMHO.
Seattle's rail system resembles a subway in several ways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGi72id7sRk

Denver's system does not in any way resemble a subway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_DBQ-v4Rb8.

The title of the thread has the words "subway system", hence Denver does not belong in this conversation. A case can be made that Seattle does.

Old 03-08-2017, 04:31 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward234 View Post
Seattle's rail system resembles a subway in several ways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGi72id7sRk

Denver's system does not in any way resemble a subway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_DBQ-v4Rb8.

The title of the thread has the words "subway system", hence Denver does not belong in this conversation. A case can be made that Seattle does.
One thing I will give light rail is its flexibility. In St. Louis for example, there are underground stations downtown that look like a subway and over in Illinois there are stations that resemble park and ride commuter rail. It's the same train the whole way though. That being said, I do prefer systems that don't put the trains in the middle of traffic like how Denver did theirs.

As for solely focusing on trains needing to be below ground, if people want to get overly reliant on that caveat than Chicago shouldn't be in the conversation. Only two lines have below ground sections, and those sections only make up a small portion of each line. Everything else is elevated.

Old 03-08-2017, 04:40 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
You shouldn't be waiting more than 13 minutes for a train from the Mission to Downtown Berkeley until after 10pm, like I said they come every 7-13 min until then. Yeah there are ton of trains going through during rush hour until about 7. Frequency does induce usage yes just not sure increasing it between 7-10p would do much considering they are coming fairly often already (<15 min).
Good post--I didn't realize they had extended weeknight service on the Richmond / Daly City-Milbrae until 9 pm since September 2015. That's pretty awesome they did that.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 03-08-2017 at 04:50 PM..

Old 03-08-2017, 05:03 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,220,070 times
Quote:
I beg the differ. If Cleveland and Baltimore are on the list, Denver should be too as well as Miami and Dallas IMHO.
Cleveland and Baltimore have heavy rail RT. This is a thread specifically about ranking and comparing heavy rail RT which is why those cities and Seattle aren't on the list.

Old 03-08-2017, 05:21 PM

801 posts, read 1,513,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Cleveland and Baltimore have heavy rail RT. This is a thread specifically about ranking and comparing heavy rail RT which is why those cities and Seattle aren't on the list.
Miami has a heavy rail system.

Old 03-08-2017, 05:28 PM

233 posts, read 368,918 times
Chicago, Boston then the rest...

Old 03-08-2017, 05:33 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,516,649 times
I think the heavy rail ridership per mile rankings are interesting

in which the ranking is:
1. nyc/jersey city
2. boston
3. philly
4. LA
5. Chicago
6. DC
7. ATL
8. SF
9. Miami
10. Baltimore
11. Cleveland

Old 03-08-2017, 06:18 PM

429 posts, read 479,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
If the main focus was heavy rail that should have been in the title, not "subway". Subways do not have to be heavy rail. Heavy rail is the type of technology, and is one of several types of rail transit technologies. "Subway" refers to the fact that it's rail that is underground and separated from traffic, but does not inherently imply what technology it is.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:25 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,220,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward234 View Post
If the main focus was heavy rail that should have been in the title, not "subway". Subways do not have to be heavy rail. Heavy rail is the type of technology, and is one of several types of rail transit technologies. "Subway" refers to the fact that it's rail that is underground and separated from traffic, but does not inherently imply what technology it is.
I think it's easy to understand what OP meant after reading the list. At least that's my opinion. Other people did not seem to get it though, so maybe not. I agree OP probably should've clarified in the first post, but later he did confirm he meant heavy rail RT.

I know "subway" technically just means underground, but sometimes it's used to refer to heavy rail RT in general. NYC uses this terminology. In NYC even the elevated lines are stilled referred to as "the subway", and the whole system (underground + above ground) is the NYC subway system. I do the same thing as OP where I use "subway system" to refer to heavy rail RT and this is probably why. I wouldn't be surprised if OP picked that up from living or spending time in NYC.

Chicago does the opposite. They call their system the L, which comes from "el" (short for elevated). Chicago still has a few underground portions, but it's still the L.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City