Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2017, 01:01 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,720,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Right, and Nanjing is full of ganbunings to add insult to injury, I get it.
Fail to see how it's relevant to subways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 08:57 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,959,050 times
I think it's silly to exclude elevated or surface lines when they're part of the same system, with a single fare, and shared stations. Sure, Boston's Green Line operates as a street-car. It ALSO operates as a subway. It's all "The T". Excluding Chicago's EL is similarly ridiculous. It's just pedantic. It's a grade-separated, heavy-rail mass transit system with a decent number of underground stations. DC and NY have miles and miles of elevated track, but no one moves to exclude those. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of DC's mileage is elevated.

Old 11-19-2017, 09:40 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
DC's Metro has about 50 miles of underground track and more than half of the stations are underground. 46 miles are "at grade" or surface level track, and 9 miles of elevated track.

Old 11-19-2017, 12:17 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,219,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
(+1. repped)
nope, i have to look on the map one day when i'm not lazy.
Lol, it’s kind of hard to explain. The more time I spend on this forum the more I realize that NYC subway is not normal at all.

Basically each number/letter is not a line itself, but is a route that travels over multiple lines in different boroughs. And don’t think too much about the colors as they don’t mean anything outside Midtown. For example the E is grouped with the A/C but really doesn’t spend too much time with them at all. It spends more time with the F and M trains than with the A and C.

I might just be making it sound more confusing. TL;DR:
Lines ≠ colors or letter/number name.

Old 11-19-2017, 03:08 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,477,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Lol, it’s kind of hard to explain. The more time I spend on this forum the more I realize that NYC subway is not normal at all.

Basically each number/letter is not a line itself, but is a route that travels over multiple lines in different boroughs. And don’t think too much about the colors as they don’t mean anything outside Midtown. For example the E is grouped with the A/C but really doesn’t spend too much time with them at all. It spends more time with the F and M trains than with the A and C.

I might just be making it sound more confusing. TL;DR:
Lines ≠ colors or letter/number name.
The best advice I think is to just think of each letter/number as its own line.

Old 11-19-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
The best advice I think is to just think of each letter/number as its own line.
It’s more correct to think of lines as not the individual Number/letter, but as the number/letter groupings. For the most part every group of trains that runs together for any portion is a line. Ex:

EFMR = Queens blvd line (Queens)
NQRW = Broadway line (Manhattan)
BQ = Brighton Beach line (Brooklyn)
456 = Lexington Ave line (Manhattan)
Etc.

You can even forget about the official names and just call them by their letter groupings. And this usually works whether the colors match up or not.
Ex: JMZ, 25, NW, FG, etc.

So for example I live by the JMZ, which has the M train, but I wouldn’t tell people I live by the BDFM, even though it’s the same M train because it’s a different line. And I wouldn’t call the B, D, or F along Sixth Avenue a different line from the M either. Those trains together make up that line.

In most cities you have the train which has one name and one color, and that is also the line. Usually train and line are synonymous terms and more clear, and don’t do all the switching and mixing that happens in NYC. I guess this is one reason why NYC subway has a reputation as being one of the more confusing systems in the world (the maps and the system itself).

Philly for instance has the Market-Frankford line and The Broad Street line. Those tell you exactly where they run and are clearly colored and labeled on the map. DC uses colors as their line names, so even though the Red line doesn’t tell you where it goes, you can easily look at the map and follow the Red color. Now let’s say you’re a tourist in NYC and you get on the F train. The letter F doesn’t tell you anything at all except “**** you”. Sure you can look at the map and try to find the F’s at all the stations but it’s not as easy as following one straight simple line or color. I already mentioned how the color coding in NYC doesn’t help much except for with Midtown. In fact it probably adds more confusion to some people if anything. Trying to follow the orange on the map doesn’t always tell you where the F goes since the orange colors branch off all over the place in every borough from the top of The Bronx to the bottom of Brooklyn. You have to look closer at each orange branch to see which one has the F train. In reality, the F train is a route that follows a specific sequence of lines: Queens blvd line —> 63rd st line —> Sixth Ave line —> Culver line. Or you can say: EFMR —> F —> BDFM —> FG

Though you may be onto something if you’re just trying to keep it simple for tourists and not worrying about being correct. I think that simplification works for tourists but if someone moves here or really wants to understand the system they should probably know this stuff.

Old 11-19-2017, 04:49 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
I believe the line you are referring to is the newly opened Jinshan Line which runs for about 40 miles from a Shanghai suburb to Shanghai South Station.
Yep. My girlfriend's parents live in Jinshan, which I spent some time in (also spent a few nights at their place when we weren't staying in the central part) earlier this year. Technically there's been a line going to Jinshan since the mid 1970s I believe.. I liked the ride - it was almost like taking a state of the art train in Europe between cities where you pass through more rural areas. Except it was in Shanghai still. Very interesting but a lot of tourists (at least western ones) may never see something like this. I was the only non Asian person on it that I could see each time I took it. At various businesses out there, people were giving me looks like "how did you find your way all the way out here?" LOL

Quote:
The C doesn’t make it all the way up to Inwood, it only goes up to 168th. It’s just the A train up there, but I’m pretty sure Inwood is underground anyway. I think only the 1 train is elevated in Manhattan. That’s very MTA-like to be able to have a fully underground train leak, lol.
Realistically, it probably goes outside overnight when they get sent to whatever train yard the C goes to. That makes sense since the C is one of the trains that doesn’t run at all overnight. So in the morning after a night of rain, if you get one of those old trains then know that it has been collecting water all night and is ready to dump it all! That actually sounds worse than the J/Z. The C uses mostly newer trains though now, doesn’t it?
Yeah true - I thought it was elevated at a yard up there is more of what I meant. The C mostly has older trains - every once in awhile newer ones. Probably less than 50% of the time they are newer.

Old 11-19-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yeah true - I thought it was elevated at a yard up there is more of what I meant. The C mostly has older trains - every once in awhile newer ones. Probably less than 50% of the time they are newer.
That’s still better than the J/Z at least. Just so you know: in the future after a night of rain if you ever get those old trains, stay away from the small seats on the far ends in the corners — the ones that only fit 1-2 people. That’s the splash zone!

Old 11-19-2017, 05:02 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
That’s still better than the J/Z at least. Just so you know: in the future after a night of rain if you ever get those old trains, stay away from the small seats on the far ends in the corners — the ones that only fit 1-2 people. That’s the splash zone!
Yeah - everytime I've had it happen it was at the door right next to those seats, though only on one side! Never saw it splash those seats though.

Old 11-19-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yeah - everytime I've had it happen it was at the door right next to those seats, though only on one side! Never saw it splash those seats though.
It can happen on either side and it can get the seats too! That whole general area around the door and the seats is in the splash zone. I’m sure the J/Z get it much worse since they actually spend most of their time elevated. Now imagine being on the J above ground while it’s raining with the constant refills! These new trains can’t come soon enough.

Last edited by That_One_Guy; 11-19-2017 at 05:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City