Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 05:44 PM

412 posts, read 509,903 times

Advertisements

You may think it's a ridiculous comparison, but here's why this one differs: YOU WON'T HAVE TO WORK IN EITHER. You get a $200,000 salary every year and you can spend your days doing whatever you want.

NYC:

+ Larger
+ 4 Seasons
+ More diverse in terms of culture, art, people etc
+ Closer to Europe
+ Never get bored or out of opportunities
- Lot of traffic and stress

Las Vegas:

+ Smaller
+ Warmer weather and more sun
+ Great nightlife and entertainment for its size (almost as good as NYC)
+ Closer to Asia, California & Hawaii
+ You have amazing nature just 20+ minutes from the city (for hiking, skiing etc)
+ No income taxes (saves you about $10-15k per year compared to NYC)
- A lot of transplants, harder to make long term friends
- Because it is smaller, you may get bored after X amount of years

Where would you rather live and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 05:48 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
For me, NYC. And NYC is the only city in this country I would live in East of the Rockies. Wouldn't even live in Boston to show how much I dislike the east and the south, and I grew up in NY.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:51 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,275,727 times
NYC wins.

Vegas ....after 3 days I want outta there

Old 03-03-2017, 09:01 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Las Vegas.

There is no place east of the Mississippi worth living. Fact of life.

I was born in Manhattan and have years there. And a couple of decades upstate with a family summer home in Montauk.

If you have the right job it is a wonderful place and you should go there in a minute. Same is true of upstate, of Minneapolis of SF of Seattle of LA. But once you make your nut. Get out to someplace livable...Like Las Vegas.

NY has nothing like the strip though overall it has more great restaurants and more great theaters and all that. But you can't handle that in a single life time and Las Vegas has enough.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:33 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,222,937 times
It is kind of an odd comparison, but these are actually two of my favorite places in America. I do live in NYC and love it but have considered the thought of living in Vegas as well.

Nightlife + going out is a really important part of my life right now. I have had some of the best clubbing experiences of my life in Vegas, but if I lived there I probably would start hating the strip kind of like how I got a little tired of the Meatpacking district in NYC after a while.

But I also love the desert. Idk there's just something about it that fascinates me. I love the natural scenery around the Vegas area. We just don't have anything like it back in NYC or the East coast in general. I also don't like cold weather, but love the heat, especially the dry heat. I'm also jealous of the insanely low cost of living in Vegas too.

But as much as I love Vegas, I can't live there. I'm a city person and I think I might get bored living in vegas after a while. It's also too far from the ocean for me. It'll just have to remain a place that I love to visit. I'm actually in the process of planning another trip back!

Old 03-04-2017, 06:46 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,904,112 times
NYC by a wide margin.

Vegas is a one trick pony with a high percentage of uneducated people. I could never see myself living there.

Old 03-04-2017, 08:24 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
NYC. I'd be very happy taking several trips to Vegas, maybe spend a month or so there. Obviously I could do the reverse as well and save some money, but I'd much prefer 11 months in NYC and 1 month in LV than 11 in LV and 1 in NYC.

Old 03-04-2017, 10:48 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,386,686 times
Vegas because its warmer

Old 03-04-2017, 11:57 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,425,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Las Vegas.

There is no place east of the Mississippi worth living. Fact of life.

I was born in Manhattan and have years there. And a couple of decades upstate with a family summer home in Montauk.

If you have the right job it is a wonderful place and you should go there in a minute. Same is true of upstate, of Minneapolis of SF of Seattle of LA. But once you make your nut. Get out to someplace livable...Like Las Vegas.

NY has nothing like the strip though overall it has more great restaurants and more great theaters and all that. But you can't handle that in a single life time and Las Vegas has enough.
Woah, good thing you don't live on the East coast these days! It's a wonderful place. Not Vegas...but the East coast. Totally livable. For the most part nothing on the West is appealing.

Old 03-04-2017, 04:35 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,314,641 times
New York by 2,000 miles. Vegas is pretty terrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City