Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 01:55 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,282,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Michigan and Ohio come to mind as stated by previous posters. These states have a lot of crime, economic problems are common and some of thier cities are not really livable. Decades of bad news and negativity have destroyed the ability for much state pride to exist. It's also hard to have a whole lot of pride when your scraping snow off your car in May. The dismal climate does not help the cause either
I know a lot of people from Ohio and most of them told you they where from Ohio without you asking them.....just saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 01:56 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,282,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Pennsylvania.
This may be true for people from Pittsburgh and Philly but it's not for people from Central PA. People from that region have a lot of state pride.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:03 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,966,195 times
No surprise the map shows NC, "the vale of humility", ranks lower in state pride than every state that borders it. We still have pride of course, but a bit more muted than our neighbors.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:59 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
There's an interesting, weird dynamic when it comes to metro Atlanta involving this topic. I have met plenty of people from up there who would rather just say they are from "Atlanta" "ATL" or "The A" before they say Georgia, and many of them love to say negative things or belittle/downplay the rest of the state.............BUT at the same time I also know of many who do mention Georgia proudly and even still like to identify with "Southern" traits. I'm guessing most of the negative attitudes about the "rest" of Georgia I get come from Northeastern transplants.

How proud or not someone in metro Atlanta would be to claim "Georgia" and not just " Atlanta" can radically change from one extreme to the next depending on the person. I guess it comes down to Transplant Vs. actually being from a family that's been here for generations.

Example, I can show you some white guys in Metro ATL right outside Conyers or somewhere like that who are 100% proud Country Boy, Georgia Rednecks. I can show you some non-transplant blacks in South Fulton, South Dekalb, Bankhead, etc, who proudly know and acknowledge being Southerners from "GA" as much as they acknowledge being from "Atlanta"

To the contrary, I can just as easily find someone who'd have you believe it's nothing but dirt roads and kkk members outside of Metro ATL and they constantly have to go out of their way to bring up how "different" ATL is from the rest of the state and would never say Georgia, just Atlanta.

So it depends.
I think a lot of the mentality in Atlanta has to do with location within the metropolitan area, at least among the white population. The "New South" Atlanta is inside I-285, and along GA 400 and the Chattahoochee River to the north. Other than that, the rest of the metropolitan area outside of I-285 has plenty of rednecks and country boys.

Old 03-21-2017, 06:50 AM

12,822 posts, read 9,536,731 times
I don't think Californians have state pride at all.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:42 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Connecticut is just one big Long Island, Downstate New York, smaller Massachusetts, North NJ

While that may be true for Connecticut, that state definitely doesn't have a pride problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
This may be true for people from Pittsburgh and Philly but it's not for people from Central PA. People from that region have a lot of state pride.
I would I think the opposite. Philadelphia (city) has had an image problem for a long time, and many residents self loathed it, but that has changed quite a bit for the better since 2000. And the Philly suburbs know they are great and tend to think highly of themselves.

Pittsburgh is in a similar situation, just smaller scale.

As for rural PA, they love to trash Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, and wallow in their own misery about the coal mine or some factory closing down throwing the town out of work. I think if Pittsburgh and Philadelphia were closer and were in one smaller state together, it would be a very prideful state, however the barren stretch in the middle is a hindrance for them.

People aside, Pennsylvania has a very beautiful natural landscape. Much better than Ohio, Illinois and other similar states.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:11 AM

638 posts, read 977,850 times
Ohio has tons of pride

Old 03-21-2017, 11:10 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,673,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post

While I loved my time in Texas for 4 years for college, I hated all the Texas pride. It went past a neat culture of pride to just obnoxious ignorance.
You ought to try living next door to those people.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:15 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow- View Post
Ohio has tons of pride
Yeah, no shortage there in my experience. Maybe even too much pride.....Of the states I'm most familiar with (mostly Midwestern), I'd say the state with less than average pride could be Iowa. People that I've met from there almost apologize that they're from Iowa, and then follow it up by explaining why it's really a nice place -- better than people think. That's true for most of the Midwest (MN is up there as well), but I see it more with Iowa than other places. Or let me put it another way: Iowans are not boastfully proud of their state....they're more quietly proud of it.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:29 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,192,619 times
Out of all Midwestern states, I think Minnesota has the most state pride. It helps that the city Minneapolis did not suffer massive population decline in its city borders, unlike most major Midwestern cities. I would think Ohio have a lot of state pride for a Midwest, considering it at least has more than one major metropolitan and by far the most of any Midwest state.

It must be difficult for New Yorkers to have state pride when most people would automatically assume you're from the city that goes by the same name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City