Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite metro?
Dallas / Fort Worth 66 48.53%
Philadelphia 70 51.47%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 03:05 PM

570 posts, read 559,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
How is this even close? Philadelphia is far superior to Dallas in everything but population growth.
Not necessarily, as far as history and and urban density goes. I agree Philadelphia is far superior. But Dallas can hold it's own.

Old 03-18-2017, 03:33 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,279,161 times
I always wonder with polls like this how many of the people voting have actually lived in both places and under what circumstance, like living in the burbs in one and somewhere downtown in the other etc. I skewers perception IMHO.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:23 PM

814 posts, read 759,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
A lot has changed since 2009. A LOT. It's really amazing now that I'm thinking about it.

I wouldn't judge the quality of the cheesesteak on some random bar in South Philly. There are definitely better options. I would also consider the Roast Pork sandwich from DiNics or John's a much better sandwich than the cheesesteak. Personal preference though. Still, Philly has MUCH more to offer food-wise than the cheesesteak. The restaurant scene here has really taken off the past few years.

Most of the factories are down by the Airport. It's a nice use of space to cluster most of the industrial/factory uses together, but of course it doesn't make for a nice trip in from the Airport.

That doesn't take away from the beauty of some awesome urban areas in Philadelphia and the region like Rittenhouse Square, University City, Spruce Hill, Washington Square West, Logan Square, Society Hill, Old City, Bella Vista, Queen Village, Fairmount, East Passyunk Crossing, Northern Liberties, Manayunk, Chestnut Hill, Ardmore, Bryn Mawr, Newark, Collingswood, Haddonfield, etc. etc.
There's a post on page 3 that says inspite of the blight and the trash and all, there's still somewhat about it that's likable. I feel the same. I did like it, but I don't know if I'd take it over Dallas. The city feel and the transport, I admit that I'm drawn to. On the other side of coin, in Dallas I can rent a house for $1500. If I had a house with a garage, I can get a motorcycle. A big yard and I can go to shelter and get a big dog, as I'm a big dog person. Then the people in Dallas are really nice and ladies are really pretty.

This is irrelevant, but I'm an oil and gas guy. Those ugly refineries are where I'll be working if I move to Philly. So it's on my list of places to live.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:37 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,451,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
1. COL: Tie. They're actually pretty close nowadays

2. Entertainment & Nightlife: Philadelphia. The combination of Philadelphia and Atlantic City, plus nightlife spread through the metro in awesome suburban downtown's wins it for me.

3. Natural scenery & Beauty: Philadelphia by a long shot

4. Climate: Philadelphia. I prefer 4 seasons.

5. Shopping: Philadelphia. The combination of Center City shopping and King of Prussia Mall.

6. Food: Philadelphia here for sure.

7. People: Philadelphia. I prefer the real, upfront Northeast personaility.

8. Crime: City limits goes to Dallas as the crime rate is slightly lower. Metro area is a tie.

9. Cleanliness: Dallas. It's newer.

10. Economy: Dallas. It's faster growing.

11. Urbanity: Philadelphia for sure.

12. History: Philadelphia for sure.
Well if we're gonna include Atlantic City for Philly, we gotta add Winstar for Dallas

Old 03-19-2017, 01:22 AM

570 posts, read 559,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Well if we're gonna include Atlantic City for Philly, we gotta add Winstar for Dallas
It's crazy to think that Oklahoma is now considered to be part of the DFW CSA.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:41 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,510,947 times
One thing, the cities of Dallas and Philadelphia actually competed in recently was the opportunity to host the NFL Draft. It came down to LA, Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, and Philly. Philadelphia won, and people here are excited about hosting it. The Ben Franklin Parkway will be closed to traffic from April 27th to the 29th for the NFL Draft Festival. Philadelphia Eagles Owner Brent Bell essentially invented the draft in the 1930s' with the first NFL Draft being held at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel in 1936. This will be the 15th time the city has hosted the event. It's going to be a good time to visit.

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 03-19-2017 at 07:02 AM..

Old 03-19-2017, 06:46 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,943 times
Philadelphia is definitely more my type of city, so I voted for it.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:51 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,784,290 times
Dallas because Texans wouldn't dare put Cheez Whiz on anything. And I hate pretzels.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:04 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,510,947 times
I find it somewhat amusing how many posters bring up Cheesesteaks like it is a defining factor of our cuisine. None the less cheese wiz, a Kraft product. The Delaware Valley is a better place for restaurants than the Metroplex Area. The Dallas area lacks a single restaurant in the top 100 in terms of revenue. However, I do appreciate a good texas prime ribeye from Del Frisco's. The best part is I don't need to leave my neighborhood to get it.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:14 AM

814 posts, read 759,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I find it somewhat amusing how many posters bring up Cheesesteaks like it is a defining factor of our cuisine. None the less cheese wiz, a Kraft product. The Delaware Valley is a better place for restaurants than the Metroplex Area. The Dallas area lacks a single restaurant in the top 100 in terms of revenue. However, I do appreciate a good texas prime ribeye from Del Frisco's. The best part is I don't need to leave my neighborhood to get it.
Maybe cause the majority of people aren't worried about $100 meals and are more likely to eat stuff like cheesesteak, burgers and other things that don't break their bank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City