Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite metro?
Dallas / Fort Worth 66 48.53%
Philadelphia 70 51.47%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 12:44 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,279,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
That may be your personal experience. I've visited all 50 states and lived in 7 of then and by far, Texans exhibit the greatest state pride. This is not necessarily a bad trait.
Which may be you personal experience and perhaps holds true if you only count states but from my travels I have learned people who live is some of the big cities show just as much big of pride towards them as people from Texas.
The only difference is the New Yorker is proud of being New Yorker while in Texas the state itself is the source of pride.
Doesn't mean Texans have a bigger chip on their shoulders as the guy from NYC.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:59 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post
Which may be you personal experience and perhaps holds true if you only count states but from my travels I have learned people who live is some of the big cities show just as much big of pride towards them as people from Texas.
The only difference is the New Yorker is proud of being New Yorker while in Texas the state itself is the source of pride.
Doesn't mean Texans have a bigger chip on their shoulders as the guy from NYC.
We agree with the bold statement. I said as much in my post regarding state pride. I can tell you that most people I run with in Philly, however, don't invest a lot of their cerebral cortex in thinking of themselves as Pennsylvanians. For the most part, people here consider the rest of the state as an annoyance.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:07 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,784,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
No skin off my back. Less people the better on the coasts.
Why would it be skin off of your back?

Old 03-20-2017, 01:11 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,279,276 times
Quote:
We agree with the bold statement. I said as much in my post regarding state pride. I can tell you that most people I run with in Philly, however, don't invest a lot of their cerebral cortex in thinking of themselves as Pennsylvanians. For the most part, people here consider the rest of the state as an annoyance.
All fair enough. My only point is that it is not only Texans who get their backs ups if something in their precious state is criticized. Criticize something about Philly to bunch of guys from Philly and you watch them get their backs up as well.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:05 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,903 times
Flickriver: Most interesting photos from Dogtown, Needmore, PA, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post
All fair enough. My only point is that it is not only Texans who get their backs ups if something in their precious state is criticized. Criticize something about Philly to bunch of guys from Philly and you watch them get their backs up as well.
Actually, native Philadelphians are pretty critical of their city and many are curious as to our reasons why when they encounter people like us who move here. I've found that many Philadelphians don't realize what a gem of a city this is. I think this is in large part that people who were born here tend to compare their city to NYC, just a quick trip up 95. I think that most people would accept that NYC raises a pretty high bar for any city to match. Transplants to Philly, on the other hand, are reveling in all the great aspects of city life we now enjoy that are lacking in the sunbelt cities we left.

An observation regarding state pride: Texas is the only state I know that blithely brandishes a threat as its motto (Don't Mess with Texas!). I compare this to the sense of welcome we received upon crossing the state line south of Chambersburg when moving here a few years back:

Old 03-20-2017, 02:08 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
I concur. All the ring counties in PA went for Clintron. In Texas, for the most part, the core urban counties in Texas went for Clinton but their ring counties are, for the most part Trump country.

I will take issue with one part of your post. I see the Texas cities (with the exception of Austin) as more libertarian rather than rabidly liberal. I can tell you that my experience of the political climate in Philadelphia is vastly different from that of my time in Texas. I freely acknowledge that is simply my personal read. I won't debate others if they experience their local politics differently.
Lived in Texas 30ish years. Here are just my thoughts:

The valley - votes democrat, but to me they're not voting because of pro-life or gay rights. I've been told that's just how they always vote.

Austin - activists. Some will disagree, but the vibe here is different than all of Texas. Definitely a liberal enclave. Can be bohemian in feel and while super liberal, still has a live and let live feel (libertarian).

I don't think Dallas and Houston are any more liberal than most major metros, especially if you count the burbs.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Everything is bigger in California, I mean Delaware.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:17 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,172,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Everything is bigger in California, I mean Delaware.
Huh?

Old 03-20-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Huh?
Oh wow. Never met a poster from Delaware. Welcome!

Old 03-20-2017, 02:27 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Actually, native Philadelphians are pretty critical of their city and many are curious as to our reasons why when they encounter people like us who move here. I've found that many Philadelphians don't realize what a gem of a city this is. I think this is in large part that people who were born here tend to compare their city to NYC, just a quick trip up 95. I think that most people would accept that NYC raises a pretty high bar for any city to match. Transplants to Philly, on the other hand, are reveling in all the great aspects of city life we now enjoy that are lacking in the sunbelt cities we left.

An observation regarding state pride: Texas is the only state I know that blithely brandishes a threat as its motto (Don't Mess with Texas!). I compare this to the sense of welcome we received upon crossing the state line south of Chambersburg when moving here a few years back:

Well the "Don't Mess with Texas" thing started as an anti-littering campaign. It became more than what it was suppose to by many different factors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City