Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What region is most dominated by a single metropolitan region and what is that metropolitan region?
Northeast (New York) 39 28.68%
Midwest (Chicago) 86 63.24%
West (Los Angeles) 2 1.47%
Northeast (Washington D.C.) 1 0.74%
Midwest (Detroit) 0 0%
West (San Francisco Bay Area) 0 0%
Northeast (Boston or Philadelphia) 0 0%
Midwest (Minneapolis) 0 0%
West (Seattle) 3 2.21%
Other (state) 5 3.68%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 02:51 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Ohio looks east to whom? Pittsburgh?
Honestly, I cleared that earlier saying and I do not mean Pittsburgh LOL. You know that. Of course if you disagree Ohio DOES NOT TEND TO LOOK EASTWARD to the East Coast? You can state so and it is Chicago?

All should know Cleveland and Pittsburgh are not very friendly in connections even over sports they compete. But there is a sort of downplayed rivalry? (merely opinion) merely from C-D. Why I keep it opinion.

Again if you feel Cleveland or most of Ohio is more connected to Chicago in the same Region? Surely say so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
From most major cities in Ohio, Chicago is closer than NYC or DC. Just sayin'.
Yes, even Cleveland. But does it feel more connected to Chicago? I doubt it. I'd say it again feels or desires a more East Coast one (my opinion) Leaving it at that. -----> MIGHT BE A GOOD THREAD TITLE?
Cleveland to Chicago. 345-miles
Cleveland to NYC 461-miles

Last edited by DavePa; 04-26-2017 at 03:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 02:58 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
From most major cities in Ohio, Chicago is closer than NYC or DC. Just sayin'.
Going by driving distances Chicago vs DC:

Columbus is 50 miles closer to CHicago than DC yes.

Cleveland is 40 miles closer to Chicago than DC.

Akron is 15 miles closer to DC.

Canton is 40 miles closer to DC.

Youngstown is 100 miles closer to DC.

Cincinnati is 200 miles closer to Chicago

Toledo is 230 miles closer to Chicago.

So basically, depending on which side of town you are and which side of town you're going to, CLE and CBUS can be pretty equidistant to Chicago or DC. So that is not convincing.

The other cities in the Cleveland radius are actually closer to DC than Chicago.

Cincinnati and Toledo are considerably closer to Chicago.

SO it's almost like Ohio is a pretty split up place. Like I've been saying.

People from Ohio- have you ever considered Chicago anything to look up to in any way? I'm seriously interested. I never did growing up. Ever. I don't want to hear from people who have been to Ohio or have family in Ohio, would like people actually from Ohio to comment on that.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:13 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,887,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Going by driving distances Chicago vs DC:

Columbus is 50 miles closer to CHicago than DC yes.

Cleveland is 40 miles closer to Chicago than DC.

Akron is 15 miles closer to DC.

Canton is 40 miles closer to DC.

Youngstown is 100 miles closer to DC.

Cincinnati is 200 miles closer to Chicago

Toledo is 230 miles closer to Chicago.

So basically, depending on which side of town you are and which side of town you're going to, CLE and CBUS can be pretty equidistant to Chicago or DC. So that is not convincing.

The other cities in the Cleveland radius are actually closer to DC than Chicago.

Cincinnati and Toledo are considerably closer to Chicago.

SO it's almost like Ohio is a pretty split up place. Like I've been saying.

People from Ohio- have you ever considered Chicago anything to look up to in any way? I'm seriously interested. I never did growing up. Ever. I don't want to hear from people who have been to Ohio or have family in Ohio, would like people actually from Ohio to comment on that.
So, you're saying Ohio residents look up to DC? I don't think, unless you're in the MSA of a certain city, that you're going to look up to it. Ohio is a state that's in between large cities, so they really kind of stand alone. Chicago wouldn't dominate Ohio, nor would either DC or NYC. That wouldn't make sense. Ohio has its own cities...why would any city need to look to another city? Milwaukee looks to Chicago, because respective MSA boundaries touch. Minneapolis wouldn't look to Chicago, or any other city, it stands alone. Just because someone has an idea for a thread, doesn't mean it's a good idea, or that it makes any kind of sense. One shouldn't have to try to rationalize something, that isn't rational.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:20 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,558,075 times
Quote:
ehhh not convinced of this. Most people go eastward if you're in Ohio - DC isn't that far, NYC either really.
Cincinnati is 9 hours from DC, and even further from NYC. The same applies for Detroit. I think it's really just NE Ohio you relating your sentiments to. People in Detroit most definitely would identify closer to anything Chicago/Midwestern before they identify with NYC or DC. Once you cross those Appalachians it's all whole new world over here.

Pittsburgh, Erie, Buffalo, and Rochester I would think better fit the description of what your saying about Cleveland.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:34 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,696,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Honestly, I cleared that earlier saying and I do not mean Pittsburgh LOL. You know that. Of course if you disagree Ohio DOES NOT TEND TO LOOK EASTWARD to the East Coast? You can state so and it is Chicago?
Well, that's the Northeastern metro Pittsburgh has the most economic ties to.

In what ways does Cleveland have significant ties with the metros of the East Coast?

Old 04-26-2017, 03:51 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,188,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
I said this many times on C-D and here too. Michigan, Indiana still look to and have some connection to Chicago as its Lead city. But OHIO DOES NOT. Ohio rather LOOK EASTWARD.

But that changes nothing on Chicago STILL as the Centric-city of the Midwest just because as a Ohioan... you felt no connection. Doesn't matter if even Cleveland is closer to Chicago in distance then to NYC.

Cleveland even as a sister-Great Lakes city as Chicago. Shuns looking Midwest instead prefers looking East? I learned how much too reading a thread asking if -- Cleveland saw itself more as a mini-Chicago? OMG that had NO welcome from Clevelanders. LOL.

So I agree with you on the Ohio link broken more toward Chicago. But clearly agree with Chicago as lead city of the Midwest and why it has WON the thread as a Regions key city.
Like the rest of the Midwest, Ohio is frankly more so looking at itself rather than anywhere else. Maybe some of its residents will look east towards the Northeast rather than west towards Chicago when they need to, but those experiences aren't going to happen regularly regardless.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:55 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,188,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Thank you for the excellent commentary. I am not a midwesterner -- nothing against the region - I have lived there before, and I will live there again, but I definitely have an outsider's perspective.
Not a problem. I would also have to agree with another posted who pointed out just how spread apart the region is. There's 300 miles separating Chicago and St. Louis and yet the two cities are considered to be relatively close by Midwestern standards. The fact that a city like Milwaukee is so close to Chicago is the exception rather than the rule out here.

Old 04-26-2017, 04:24 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,360,257 times
Quote:
ehhh not convinced of this. Most people go eastward if you're in Ohio - DC isn't that far, NYC either really.
I travel to Cleveland for work, and Ohio is more connected than you think. From the days where Amoco moved its HQ to Chicago to today where Hickory Farms just announced moving from Toledo to Chicago, Chicago has an influence on the six state Midwest region. All federal govt. field offices in Ohio report to Chicago, regional business offices report there, transportation merges there going west, and Cleveland flights connect at O'Hare. I am not saying Ohio is connected at the hip, but your protesting endlessly on this topic is a crack up; maybe your not getting it and everybody else is.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:58 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,449,783 times
The Midwest does not work the way that the rest of the country does. Chances are, a larger city has something that yours does not. So you'll rely on that city for certain things that you don't have in your own city. That is how the relationship between Akron and Cleveland works, and that is the importance that Chicago has on the rest of the Midwest. But Chicago does not "dominate" the Midwest. Chicago has things other cities may not have, a stock exchange, two baseball teams instead of one, this or that but it isn't anything where Chicago dictates the pulse of the region like New York may inform what happens in the Northeast so far as fashion, arts, or culture, etc. Everything is bigger in Chicago, that doesn't necessarily make it better.

The logic is that Chicago is larger than all of the other cities in the Midwest so therefore it dominates the region. Fair enough. But other cities are growing and Chicago is maintaining. Indianapolis and Columbus are growing. I like eighties Chicago. You're asking us to put our fate in a city that is struggling to maintain population growth, and a city whose problems with crime continue to worsen as well as a city that has dropped from number two to number three. The country is laughing at the Midwest right now. It is only a matter of time before states like Virginia surpass the Midwestern states in population. It could happen in our lifetime. The gentrification of cities like Chicago, Cleveland, and Detroit are keeping those cities afloat, but that is not enough to put them in the role of influence that a dominating, alpha city is supposed to be in. How many of you actually want to live in Chicago; if money were not an issue? How many of you know millennials that would move to Chicago if given a choice between that city and New York, Atlanta, Miami, San Francisco, or Washington DC? That is the future, the dominance of cities based on population alone is the past.

Look at this link. Look at the successful cities. They all have a population growth that far surpasses that of Chicago. Even Cincinnati, a stable city, according to that source, has a population growth that is higher than that of Chicago. I love Northeast Ohio, I'm from there, but that region is dying. If those cities can continue that pace of growth year over year where will that leave them 10 years from now, 20 years from now? And what if Chicago starts loosing population again? State capitals is where it is at, at least in the Midwest. Not to mention the fact that this country is moving towards a decentralized model where people are leaving big cities and moving to smaller cities, bringing all cities closer to together in size and influence.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:00 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,045,903 times
hard to say
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City