Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What region is most dominated by a single metropolitan region and what is that metropolitan region?
Northeast (New York) 39 28.68%
Midwest (Chicago) 86 63.24%
West (Los Angeles) 2 1.47%
Northeast (Washington D.C.) 1 0.74%
Midwest (Detroit) 0 0%
West (San Francisco Bay Area) 0 0%
Northeast (Boston or Philadelphia) 0 0%
Midwest (Minneapolis) 0 0%
West (Seattle) 3 2.21%
Other (state) 5 3.68%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 07:09 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,676,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiesinUSA View Post
It's ironic that people here are talking about others downplaying the Midwest, yet they act as if DC, Boston, Philly, and Baltimore don't exist. Those 4 cities are far ahead of anything the midwest has outside Chicago.
Lol... No... You just need to go back and reread the thread... Or, actually, read it at all... No one is saying these cities don't exist, we are saying the actual facts (population, gdp, etc.)when talking about these regions and cities results in NYC being dominant in all of these categories over its region. Boston vs. Detroit or whatever doesn't mean anything, as this is a question of regions. NYC dominates its region by population, gdp, and pretty much any other actual measure (don't care about opinions here) that LA and then Chicago can't match over their respective regions.

How about you back up your claims please; furthermore, Baltimore? Baltimore is far ahead of anything the Midwest has outside of Chicago? Baltimore is on the level of St. Louis for me (Cleveland around there too), Detroit and the Twin cities however would llke to have a word with you about this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 07:29 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newengland17 View Post
Ummm, no. Detroit would simply pick up the torch (the city already has it's own theatre and tourist market) and it would have little to no impact on Minneapolis. U of M is already a top university, there's also Toronto to consider which has a better relationship to Michigan than Chicago. I think you're forgetting the world's largest companies exist in Detroit, it's completely independent of Chicagoland.

Philly is basically the New York alternative and would have little significance without NYC. Only Boston and Washington would really do well on their own and Baltimore can't even get it's act together with it's proximity to the capital.

Pretty sure none of you voting for Chicago actually live or have been to the midwest for extended periods of time.
This is just laughable. Please stop with this Detroit nonsense.

Old 04-23-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
That really goes for most. I'm between Philly and further Pittsburgh. I'm actually the same distance to NYC as Philly. But even in TV stations few I get local ones from them cities. Philly a couple. But caring of them cities as if they are relevant daily? No.. not at all. I just wouldn't say I couldn't care less. But the Midwest is much more rural too.

The OP might agree? But Chicago is still on the Global scene in statistics.Agreed, but what does this have to do with the question at hand? Relative dominance over a region doesn't mean individual attributes But Paris is below London but doesn't mean it isn't a big player. Yeah... so what does this have to do with the relative question posed by the OP? Paris and London aren't in it btwNYC and LA surpasses Chicago in many stats. With NYC and London in their own tier. But the Eastern US has 3 more LARGE METROS. It has Boston's. Philly's and DC/Baltimore. Yeah... (minus DC/Baltimore are not one metro. Still aren't accounting for relativity here, the difference between NYC and its neighbors (despite their size and importance) is still way more than Chicago and other Midwestern cities

So though the East/Northeast US has Mighty NYC. It has other Top 3 Tier Metros Top 3 Tier Metros? What does this mean exactly? It doesn't matter for the OP's question though that still have their OWN DOMINANCE and region Sure, but this is even more true in a lot of other cases due to geography/size/proximity to other cities of the regions for many other metros). Chicago has less in competing with like those 3 cities and metros especially. What? Though Ohio is a US Midwest state. It still looks far more EAST then toward Chicago Isn't this yet another point for NYC?. So again, Chicago merely has Detroit as its largest courting cityWhich is way closer to Chicago's level than an NE city to the level of NYC, do you and others get this? It doesn't mean others aren't big and important, the question is RELATIVE. It should be FAR MORE then its decline too it. Too many reasons off optic to list here.

It is on TODAYS Levels too. No one downplays Detroit's contribution to the US in culture and therefore the World. But Chicago despite its flaws like its debt today. Won by diversification. Planning to re-make itself even better and its Core continued to RISE as another fell.

I'm merely calling out your seeing Chicago as TOTALLY IRREVELENT Wait, what??? Never, ever, ever said that... go back and reread my postsand FLYOVER Ok now you really didn't understand my posts... Please go back and reread what I said, I used the term "flyover" in regards to other posters from outside the midwest downplaying the rest of the midwest other than Chicago, I'm from IL, I'v got family in Chicago and I've probably spent more time there than some people on this forum have been alive, which is how I can clearly see how ignorant so many posters on here are of the midwest to NYC to LA. No doubt in NYC's National and World dominance. But we ARE ON THE REGIONAL US ONE of the topic. Yeah... So if NYC dominates so nationally how do people keep claiming it simultaneously doesn't dominate its own region?

You might not appreciate a drastic lessening of Paris over London? Without noting its importance nevertheless. I love both cities, live in one and have been to the other about two dozen times, but they aren't in this thread

As many on C-D can note. Chicago has level of its Core dominance being recognized today a far from irreverent. NYC is NYC and of course Paris. It has some Top museums in the states with its Art Institute known worldwide in its art collection. Again, not relative to NYC over its region... This isn't some anti Chicago posts, I get why some are paranoid about that though

But in US standards as America's " Most Quintessential American City" (some believe this for sure) it has arrived more then not in far less seen as flyover in the US alone.Again, go back and see how I used that terrible cliché term please, it was sarcastic... In fact the major US city I "fly over" most is probably Boston Outside of Central Park in NYC. It is debatable perhaps? But Chicago has a front Lawn to the Core worthy of a Paris consideration (not claiming on its level) for a US city. Chicago, in a lot of parts, is a very beautiful and clean city, but I still think you posting this is a result of some kind of mis-communication
I think you misunderstood one of (some of?) my posts, but thank you for the thought out response and nice images. Getting pretty late here so sorry if my posts are too direct, will be back tomorrow.

Old 04-23-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
I will say this though and this is probably Chicago's strongest argument (by far);

If you had to envision the likes of Greater New York, Greater Los Angeles, and Greater Chicago just disappearing off the face of the Earth to unexplainable causes, which region would suffer and hurt the most?

The answer is the Midwest. The Midwest would almost assuredly lose its showcase city, its only showcase city on a global platform. The Midwest would lose the only city it has that is universally viewed as a world class city and destination. There are no other world class cities in the Midwest; of course the Twin Cities are nice and respectable but more on the caliber of a Seattle, San Diego, or Denver. A second tier type of place. Very nice, very respectable, and very well rounded but by no means a world-beater. Greater Detroit has lots of strengths but lots of weaknesses that keep it from being a world class city as well, so it too is a second tier place.

The West has the San Francisco Bay Area and the Northeast has Washington DC (not the census defined Northeast, but the functional 'real world' Northeast). The Midwest doesn't really have that.
Excellent post.

Old 04-23-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Excellent post.
But still irrelevant based on the framing of the question (which was not which region would most lose its "image" to the world if its top city were to magically vanish).

Old 04-23-2017, 07:51 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,568,606 times
Somebody should start an "If Chicago were an East Coast city" thread. The responses would be epic, lol.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
But still irrelevant based on the framing of the question (which was not which region would most lose its "image" to the world if its top city were to magically vanish).
Tourists from around the world are not going to flock to Detroit, or Cleveland, or St. Louis, or Milwaukee, regardless of what virtues they possess. I like the Twin Cities very much, but they are a nice place to live, not a tourist destination. If Chicago is removed from the equation, then the Midwest is quite a diminished place.

I'm saying this as someone who has lived in the Midwest ( Madison), and frequently visits Chicago, and enjoys both very much.

Old 04-24-2017, 12:40 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
Lol... No... You just need to go back and reread the thread... Or, actually, read it at all... No one is saying these cities don't exist, we are saying the actual facts (population, gdp, etc.)when talking about these regions and cities results in NYC being dominant in all of these categories over its region. Boston vs. Detroit or whatever doesn't mean anything, as this is a question of regions. NYC dominates its region by population, gdp, and pretty much any other actual measure (don't care about opinions here) that LA and then Chicago can't match over their respective regions.

How about you back up your claims please; furthermore, Baltimore? Baltimore is far ahead of anything the Midwest has outside of Chicago? Baltimore is on the level of St. Louis for me (Cleveland around there too), Detroit and the Twin cities however would llke to have a word with you about this...
The Northeast is the outlier here though-it is by far the smallest region geographically with the Metros of it's premier cities all bordering one another. Using population stats this way shows nothing really when the other regions are ginormous with much more land between cities, but it does point toward a major strength in Philly, Boston, DC that they have been able to thrive and grow into their own unique and independent cities despite having the most dominant city in the country by any metric in their backyard.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:03 PM

123 posts, read 160,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
This is just laughable. Please stop with this Detroit nonsense.
You're laughable, please stop with your ignorance and learn something.

Last edited by newengland17; 04-24-2017 at 01:11 PM..

Old 04-24-2017, 01:11 PM

123 posts, read 160,195 times
Chicago gets most of it's tourists from the "midwest", not globally. So if anything Chicago is diminished without the rest of the region if we're talking purely tourism. Chicago stole business from St. Louis and Cincinnati for decades, those cities would probably look better without Chicago.

"Midwest" is a pretty ridiculous term anyway, a more accurate label would be "great lakes region" which includes Toronto. Chicago is hardly "dominate" culturally or economically, it contributes a large portion, but it's not dominating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City