Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What region is most dominated by a single metropolitan region and what is that metropolitan region?
Northeast (New York) 39 28.68%
Midwest (Chicago) 86 63.24%
West (Los Angeles) 2 1.47%
Northeast (Washington D.C.) 1 0.74%
Midwest (Detroit) 0 0%
West (San Francisco Bay Area) 0 0%
Northeast (Boston or Philadelphia) 0 0%
Midwest (Minneapolis) 0 0%
West (Seattle) 3 2.21%
Other (state) 5 3.68%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 02:49 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
While Dallas and Houston and Miami are technically larger, I feel Atlanta is more connected with more of the South culturally, politically and economically than the other 3.

Thats just my opinion.
I think Atlanta is the capitol of the South too, but it's debatable. Atlanta definitely doesn't dominate the Southeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 09:19 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,417,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I think Atlanta is the capitol of the South too, but it's debatable. Atlanta definitely doesn't dominate the Southeast.
Not as long as Miami is in Florida.

Old 04-23-2017, 12:42 PM

123 posts, read 160,133 times
Quote:

The Midwest has a lot of cities and lots of micro regions, but only one world class city - Chicago. No other city even comes close to achieving that status. St. Louis? Detroit? Columbus? Indianapolis? Milwaukee? The Midwest is the only region where one city and one city alone has achieved international iconic status.
This isn't about "World class cities" in the first place, and you're also totally wrong. Detroit is a metro of about 5 million people, A culturally distinct, iconic and important city that literally changed the world, the city has two genres of music dedicated to itself for **** sakes. You're downplaying the significance of other midwest cities and overplaying Chicago immensely.

NONE of the other midwest cities other than Milwaukee depend on or are influenced by Chicago in any way shape or form, this entire poll is disingenuous.

Old 04-23-2017, 01:11 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,674,958 times
Quote:
Well, it looks like people are "incorrectly" voting this way again. Why? Because it's true. Let me put this a different way -- the Northeast has at least three world class cities - NYC, DC, and Boston. (Maybe Philadelphia too.) Is NYC the most significant? Yes, but by virtue of being the seat of the most important government in the world, DC offers something NYC can't. NYC also can't match Boston's universities.

The West Coast has two world class cities. Los Angeles because of Hollywood, SF because of Silicone Valley. Neither can replace the other.

The Southeast has two (both debatable) world class cities. Houston because of the oil industry - Atlanta because it hosted the Summer Olympics, is the headquarters of Coke, has the nation's busiest airport. Some world argue Miami belongs in the same category of the other two because of its significance to Latin America.

The Midwest has a lot of cities and lots of micro regions, but only one world class city - Chicago. No other city even comes close to achieving that status. St. Louis? Detroit? Columbus? Indianapolis? Milwaukee? The Midwest is the only region where one city and one city alone has achieved international iconic status.
Yes, they are. They, and you, were wrong then and now. Read through this thread and see all of the ignorance, it's clear from so many posts how little experience some here have with the Midwest. School children all going to Chicago for field trips for its museums? What the...? A lot of the rest is just snobbery to be frank: Philly/Boston/Seattle/etc. are just too unique/important/distinct/etc. while MSP/Detroit/St. Louis/Cleveland/Cincy/KC/etc. are all just the same and magically have no history/identity/etc. It's pretty ironic when things like papal visits for Philly or Olympics for Atlanta deem those cities to be too important or global to be dominated, but o' yeah, lil old St. Louis has had both of those things as well... oopps, just say "flyover country"!

Anyways, most of your post here is both just opinion and completely irrelevant. I also disagree with your "world class" (ughhh.....first this is a horribly overused/pointless term here, second you seem to confuse cities with various industries, third, wow that was really, really elementary level analysis... LA is world class because of Hollywood? Really??? Also, I live abroad, and have in a few places, be careful with what you think is "international iconic status") cities, but it doesn't matter as it has nothing to do with the thread. The facts show through this poll and your opinions, look at the numbers for population, gdp, etc. The numbers don't lie, NYC is far and away ahead of its region, Chicago shouldn't even be considered except everyone wants to downplay the rest of the Midwest.

Last edited by Caesarstl; 04-23-2017 at 01:23 PM..

Old 04-23-2017, 01:26 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
Yes, they are. They, and you, were wrong then and now. Read through this thread and see all of the ignorance, it's clear from so many posts how little experience some here have with the Midwest. School children all going to Chicago for field trips for its museums? What the...? A lot of the rest is just snobbery to be frank: Philly/Boston/Seattle/etc. are just too unique/important/distinct/etc. while MSP/Detroit/St. Louis/Cleveland/Cincy/KC/etc. are all just the same and magically have no history/identity/etc. It's pretty ironic when things like papal visits for Philly or Olympics for Atlanta deem those cities to be too important or global to be dominated, but o' yeah, lil old St. Louis has had both of those things as well... oopps, just say "flyover country"!

Anyways, most of your post here is both just opinion and completely irrelevant. I also disagree with your "world class" (ughhh.....first this is a horribly overused/pointless term here, second you seem to confuse cities with various industries, third, wow that was really, really elementary level analysis... LA is world class because of Hollywood? Really??? Also, I live abroad, and have in a few places, be careful with what you think is "international iconic status") cities, but it doesn't matter as it has nothing to do with the thread. The facts show through this poll and your opinions, look at the numbers for population, gdp, etc. The numbers don't lie, NYC is far and away ahead of it's region, Chicago shouldn't even be considered except everyone wants to downplay the rest of the Midwest.
I live in Brussels, and when I go to the local movie theater 75 percent of the films playing were produced in Los Angeles, so yes, I'd say Hollywood makes LA a global city.

Old 04-23-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
I live in Brussels, and when I go to the local movie theater 75 percent of the films playing were produced in Los Angeles, so yes, I'd say Hollywood makes LA a global city.
Well hello Brussels, I'm Paris. You should know that we dominate you so my opinion here is a bit more important... jk

Did you read any of the rest of my post? I just read your short response, and you know what I noticed? You changed what we're talking about again! Now it's "global city"? Before your arguments was "world class" city, but it doesn't matter as neither one have anything to do with this thread.

Old 04-23-2017, 03:10 PM

657 posts, read 802,217 times
I think Chicago is winning because is seems like the midwest is defined by that city. I guess based on numbers its the northeast, though it feels unfair as if you were to put NYC in any region of the country, it would dominate.

Old 04-23-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post
I think Chicago is winning because is seems like the midwest is defined by that city. I guess based on numbers its the northeast, though it feels unfair as if you were to put NYC in any region of the country, it would dominate.
Yes, based on numbers, not opinions, it is NYC & the NE.

This is the funny thing here though, NYC can dominate any region in the US/the US as a whole so it's unfair to the NE? No, that's exactly what the thread is asking! How can it dominate the whole US but magically not the NE? Egos of people in DC, Boston, and Philly seem to be the answer...

Old 04-23-2017, 03:42 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,188,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
I totally agree, and so do most on this poll. In order to get to many destinations either by plane or rail, Chicago is a central Hub for the Midwest. Region V in the Federal Govt., home to many govt. agencies in the 6 state Midwest Region is based there and has a wide influence on housing, environmental, and social programs. Entertainment options such as theatre and tourism for the region are based primarily there; the northeast cannot say that, as NYC, Philly, Boston and Washington have their own thriving tourist industries. Many trucking and manufacturing companies are based there, as well as distribution centers for the entire region. In education, Chicago has the largest student population in the region, and has numerous schools such as U of Chicago, Northwestern, Deaul, IIT, UIC, Loyola, Wheaton, Roosevelt, Columbia, etc. are found there. The number of HQ is huge, and continues to take from the surrounding region, recent examples being ConAgra from Omaha and Catapillar from Peoria, all relocating there to take advantage of the educated young populous. The Board of Trade is active and has great impact in the economy of the region, and the number of huge law firms dominates the region.

So why are the posters here shocked that Chicago is running away with this poll?
While it is true that Chicago has all of those things, you are frankly underselling what the rest of the region has. Due to their former positions, many Midwestern cities actually have some of the finest cultural institutions in the country. Can any of them rival the Art Institute? No, but museums like the Detroit Institute of Art are still nothing to look down upon. Chicago also doesn't have a monopoly on theaters or universities.

Quote:
There seems to be a disconnect from people who actually live in the Midwest (in a city not named Chicago) and those looking in at the region. I would assume that a big part of that disconnect is occurring because many cities in the Midwest, including St. Louis and Detroit which you mentioned, used to be some of America's premier cities. St. Louis, for example, was one of America's top 10 largest cities for a century.

Locally the legacy that those cities have endures. Chicago may have outmaneuvered them back in the day in order to become the largest city in the Midwest, but to this day you're not going to find people in the old legacy cities of the Midwest who feel like Chicago has much influence over them at all. Whether wrongly or not, this is because many of them still see Chicago as something of a rival rather than a large and influential global city.

It might make them appear to be stuck in the past, but it certainly limits Chicago's cultural influence in the region. These places have entrenched identities that Chicago frankly has next to no control or influence over. So to wrap up, yeah Chicago easily gets the name recognition when it comes to non-Midwesterners, but within the region there are a lot, and I mean a lot, of people who couldn't care less about Chicago.

Old 04-23-2017, 03:42 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
It might make them appear to be stuck in the past, but it certainly limits Chicago's cultural influence in the region. These places have entrenched identities that Chicago frankly has next to no control or influence over. So to wrap up, yeah Chicago easily gets the name recognition when it comes to non-Midwesterners, but within the region there are a lot, and I mean a lot, of people who couldn't care less about Chicago.
That really goes for most. I'm between Philly and further Pittsburgh. I'm actually the same distance to NYC as Philly. But even in TV stations few I get local ones from them cities. Philly a couple. But caring of them cities as if they are relevant daily? No.. not at all. I just wouldn't say I couldn't care less. But the Midwest is much more rural too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post

Anyways, most of your post here is both just opinion and completely irrelevant. I also disagree with your "world class" (ughhh.....first this is a horribly overused/pointless term here, second you seem to confuse cities with various industries, third, wow that was really, really elementary level analysis... LA is world class because of Hollywood? Really??? Also, I live abroad, and have in a few places, be careful with what you think is "international iconic status") cities, but it doesn't matter as it has nothing to do with the thread. The facts show through this poll and your opinions, look at the numbers for population, gdp, etc. The numbers don't lie, NYC is far and away ahead of its region, Chicago shouldn't even be considered except everyone wants to downplay the rest of the Midwest.
The OP might agree? But Chicago is still on the Global scene in statistics. But Paris is below London but doesn't mean it isn't a big player. NYC and LA surpasses Chicago in many stats. With NYC and London in their own tier. But the Eastern US has 3 more LARGE METROS. It has Boston's. Philly's and DC/Baltimore.

So though the East/Northeast US has Mighty NYC. It has other Top 3 Tier Metros that still have their OWN DOMINANCE and region. Chicago has less in competing with like those 3 cities and metros especially. Though Ohio is a US Midwest state. It still looks far more EAST then toward Chicago. So again, Chicago merely has Detroit as its largest courting city. It should be FAR MORE then its decline too it. Too many reasons off optic to list here.

It is on TODAYS Levels too. No one downplays Detroit's contribution to the US in culture and therefore the World. But Chicago despite its flaws like its debt today. Won by diversification. Planning to re-make itself even better and its Core continued to RISE as another fell.

I'm merely calling out your seeing Chicago as TOTALLY IRREVELENT and FLYOVER to NYC to LA. No doubt in NYC's National and World dominance. But we ARE ON THE REGIONAL US ONE of the topic.

You might not appreciate a drastic lessening of Paris over London? Without noting its importance nevertheless.

As many on C-D can note. Chicago has level of its Core dominance being recognized today a far from irreverent. NYC is NYC and of course Paris. It has some Top museums in the states with its Art Institute known worldwide in its art collection.

But in US standards as America's " Most Quintessential American City" (some believe this for sure) it has arrived more then not in far less seen as flyover in the US alone. Outside of Central Park in NYC. It is debatable perhaps? But Chicago has a front Lawn to the Core worthy of a Paris consideration (not claiming on its level) for a US city.

Last edited by DavePa; 05-01-2018 at 07:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City