Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better overall in your opinion?
Louisville 16 17.39%
Pittsburgh 71 77.17%
Tie 5 5.43%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 03:01 PM

816 posts, read 1,395,016 times

Advertisements

I am looking to possibly relocate and these two cities have intrigued me. I am currently in Cleveland and prefer to move some place that is a relatively close drive back home. I love that they are both river cities, but Pittsburgh's hilly topography gives it the slight edge in natural beauty/landscape. I love hilly cities. I also love that both have rowhomes. I'm a big fan of older architecture and both cities seem to have nice, older homes/building. Night life is not important to me one bit. I am a foodie, so food is important! School is also important as I will be transferring to university. I am under the impression that University of Louisville and Pitt are both great schools, so it seems to be a wash in that department. Safety and crime are huge factors for me. I am looking to escape the high crime of Cleveland. Affordability is also huge as I am used to lower cost of living in Cleveland. Pittsburgh also edges out Louisville in terms of sports obviously.... so which city is best overall in your guys' opinion? I'd love to hear any opinions and/or advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 03:08 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
It depends on your major, but University of Pittsburgh is generally and overall the better school in most, possibly all, fields and usually ranked much higher overall.

Louisville probably does certain dishes better, though Pittsburgh is the larger and more diverse city/metro so should probably give you a greater variety of cuisines to try. Also, like Cleveland, Pittsburgh once was a destination for Eastern, Central, and Southern European immigrants, so some of the dishes you might have enjoyed in Cleveland will be in Pittsburgh in some form.

I'm almost certain that Louisville will be cheaper than Pittsburgh.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-29-2017 at 03:20 PM..

Old 05-29-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It depends on your major, but University of Pittsburgh is generally and overall the better school in most, possibly all, fields and usually ranked much higher overall.

Louisville probably does certain dishes better, though Pittsburgh is the larger and more diverse city/metro so should probably give you a greater variety of cuisines to try. Also, like Cleveland, Pittsburgh once was a destination for Eastern, Central, and Southern European immigrants, so some of the dishes you might have enjoyed in Cleveland will be in Pittsburgh in some form.

I'm almost certain that Louisville will be cheaper than Pittsburgh.
Thanks for the advice. I'm not super concerned about which school is better since I know both are generally pretty good. I'm more concerned about overall better quality of life (low crime, quiet, clean, affordable, etc.) The hilliness of pittsburgh gives it such charm in my opinion though.

Old 05-29-2017, 03:35 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander216 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I'm not super concerned about which school is better since I know both are generally pretty good. I'm more concerned about overall better quality of life (low crime, quiet, clean, affordable, etc.) The hilliness of pittsburgh gives it such charm in my opinion though.
You can definitely get a good selection of those attributes in numerous neighborhoods in either city. Pittsburgh is pretty damn charming with those hills.

Since you're so close to both, you should probably just make a weekend visit to each and ask around in each forum for specific neighborhoods to look at with some info about what you're looking for and what your budget is.

Old 05-29-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You can definitely get a good selection of those attributes in numerous neighborhoods in either city. Pittsburgh is pretty damn charming with those hills.

Since you're so close to both, you should probably just make a weekend visit to each and ask around in each forum for specific neighborhoods to look at with some info about what you're looking for and what your budget is.
Ya know, that's actually a very good idea with the weekend trip. I've been to Pittsburgh, but I was younger and just went to all the bars lol. I didn't get the opportunity to actually check the city out.

Old 05-29-2017, 03:52 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,888,515 times
If you are moving to Pittsburgh, then get a budget going. How much do you want to spend? Unless you get a roommate the better neighborhoods will be at least $1000 for a 1br. Pittsburgh stopped being affordable years ago. Oakland can be a little sketchy with the growing number of homeless.

Old 05-29-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
If you are moving to Pittsburgh, then get a budget going. How much do you want to spend? Unless you get a roommate the better neighborhoods will be at least $1000 for a 1br. Pittsburgh stopped being affordable years ago. Oakland can be a little sketchy with the growing number of homeless.
Really? I've been looking at rentals and there are PLENTY in my budget, which is ideally no more than $650. Of course, I don't really know which neighborhoods to avoid, but I could really care less about living in one of the "trendy" ones.

Old 05-29-2017, 04:02 PM

Louisville would win when it comes to the food scene. Pittsburgh wins with sports BUT a person HAS to be a Pittsburgh fan.

Old 05-29-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Really? I've been looking at rentals and there are PLENTY in my budget, which is ideally no more than $650. Of course, I don't really know which neighborhoods to avoid, but I could really care less about living in one of the "trendy" ones.
The $650 rentals are mostly likely in questionable neighborhoods and old buildings. Trendy in Pittsburgh means safe. Pittsburgh has become a rich/poor city due to revitalization. Or the $650 rentals could be student housing which would make sense.

Old 05-29-2017, 04:21 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,735,867 times
Quote:
I am looking to possibly relocate and these two cities have intrigued me. I am currently in Cleveland and prefer to move some place that is a relatively close drive back home. I love that they are both river cities, but Pittsburgh's hilly topography gives it the slight edge in natural beauty/landscape. I love hilly cities. I also love that both have rowhomes. I'm a big fan of older architecture and both cities seem to have nice, older homes/building. Night life is not important to me one bit. I am a foodie, so food is important! School is also important as I will be transferring to university. I am under the impression that University of Louisville and Pitt are both great schools, so it seems to be a wash in that department. Safety and crime are huge factors for me. I am looking to escape the high crime of Cleveland. Affordability is also huge as I am used to lower cost of living in Cleveland. Pittsburgh also edges out Louisville in terms of sports obviously.... so which city is best overall in your guys' opinion? I'd love to hear any opinions and/or advice!
Louisville will get voted down in this poll as there are tons of legacy city boosters on CD who stick together.

Also, Louisville is half the metro size of Pittsburgh.

However, here is why Louisville wins:

More growth
More dynamic
More compact
Cheaper
Less traffic
MUCH warmer
Did I mention better weather?
Bourbon

Louisville bats way above its metro size in arts and culture. It doesn't have quite the museum scene that Pitt does, but it has a great theatre and museum scene in its own right.

Louisville has more picturesque parks, many designed by Olmstead (who did NYC)

Louisville has no pro sports, but its minor league soccer team and UofL football and basketball feel like pro sports, particularly basketball.

Louisville is also getting better concerts as of the last 2 years...the likes of Eddie Vedder and U2 coming this year alone along with all the other big acts like Chainsmokers, Katy Perry, etc.

Pittsburgh wins with more urban neighborhoods, but also more crime and decay to a degree.

Both are beautiful cities but for me, Louisville is a much bigger change and feels more vibrant and youthful, whereas Pittsburgh feels like a bit more refined and hilly Cleveland (not a bad thing). Louisville has very unique attractions with Derby, all the different festivals, and the food and bourbon scene. It's a smaller metro but has more highly touted restaurants.

Also, Louisville has TONS of Cleveland expats. It gains more residents from CLE than any city. There is even a Browns bar

https://www.reddit.com/r/Browns/comm...louisville_ky/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City