Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 05:17 PM

832 posts, read 1,254,302 times

Advertisements

What about Miami? With the crime pluming, it sounds like a good deal what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 06:11 PM

256 posts, read 265,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
What about Miami? With the crime pluming, it sounds like a good deal what do you think?
If you find a place there I'd go check it out in person. Miami can be pretty overwhelming for some people, I think, with the partying, humidity/crazy weather, and the fact that there are parts of town where you can go without hearing a word of English. For some it's a super fun place and for others it might be a little much. I definitely wouldn't recommend on settling there without visiting first. Cost of living is good there in most parts of town but I'm not sure about the crime. I'm sure it varies by neighborhood but the only person I've known who actually lived there called it a "tropical Detroit." But as you said it does seem to be getting a lot better. Maybe look at Tampa or Orlando too, if you're interested in Florida.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_ninenine View Post
If you find a place there I'd go check it out in person. Miami can be pretty overwhelming for some people, I think, with the partying, humidity/crazy weather, and the fact that there are parts of town where you can go without hearing a word of English. For some it's a super fun place and for others it might be a little much. I definitely wouldn't recommend on settling there without visiting first. Cost of living is good there in most parts of town but I'm not sure about the crime. I'm sure it varies by neighborhood but the only person I've known who actually lived there called it a "tropical Detroit." But as you said it does seem to be getting a lot better. Maybe look at Tampa or Orlando too, if you're interested in Florida.
You are right, I will visit first, in fact I will visit all those cities before settling.
For the party, I am very down to heart so i won't be tempted that much. Humidity... Well, if you had to chose between 7 months of winter (4 hard cold months where you have to basically put a plastic film on the window frames to prevent the cold from getting in, meaning no opening the windows for 4-5 months), then rain and some humid 1-2 months of summer in one had and Miami weather in the other, Who would you chose?

As for the crime, I was pretty shock when I saw the news, this year, Miami is one of the safest major city when it comes to gun murder, "only" 16 so far this year with 26 total murder so far... To put into perspective, it is safer than ATL, safer than Oakland, than Philly, Dc, and slightly less safe than San francisco

Old 07-25-2017, 11:37 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,459,220 times
Quote:
Well, metro Boston is good since I was in the southern suburbs. Seattle is too rainy for me, although way better than the canadian 11 months of winter but still.
Its funny that you say Seattle is too rainy as Portland gets about the same amount or more than Seattle gets. Both have gorgeous summers as well. Seattle just had 40 straight days without rain.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Its funny that you say Seattle is too rainy as Portland gets about the same amount or more than Seattle gets. Both have gorgeous summers as well. Seattle just had 40 straight days without rain.
seattle is the rainiest city outside of Alaska, great summer but you keep swimming the rest of the year

Old 07-25-2017, 01:51 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,866,378 times
Quote:
seattle is the rainiest city outside of Alaska, great summer but you keep swimming the rest of the year
No, it's not. It has the reputation of being THE Rainy City but reality is there are loads of other cities that overtakes Seattle in this department (Miami being one of them). Seattle's overall very cloudy climate contributes to the notion of it being super rainy.

Here's some links:
https://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/cl...city-in-the-us
https://medium.freecodecamp.org/weat...s-5ca00c2848d9
https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...est-cities.php

My point earlier was that if Seattle is too "rainy" for you, Portland will not be an improvement in this area. Other cities will have a better balance of sunshine, rain and cloudiness than SEA/PDX, those cities likely just won't be as mild as those 2.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:48 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,459,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
My point earlier was that if Seattle is too "rainy" for you, Portland will not be an improvement in this area. Other cities will have a better balance of sunshine, rain and cloudiness than SEA/PDX, those cities likely just won't be as mild as those 2.
Exactly what I was trying to tell the OP. When it's raining in Seattle, chances are it's raining in Portland.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:56 PM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Philadelphia has its nicer areas as well. So, perhaps it is a matter of visiting various parts of the city.
However unlike DC for example the bad elements are much more integrated into the better parts of the city, you can't truly escape it.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
However unlike DC for example the bad elements are much more integrated into the better parts of the city, you can't truly escape it.
Exactly, When you lokk the homicide map of Philly, you will see that crime is everywhere, sure some area sees more than the other but overall, the crime and homicide are all over the city exept downtown...
For DC, you clearly see that the west side is pretty much crime/homicide free, all the homicides are on NE and SE

Old 07-27-2017, 10:28 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Exactly, When you lokk the homicide map of Philly, you will see that crime is everywhere, sure some area sees more than the other but overall, the crime and homicide are all over the city exept downtown...
For DC, you clearly see that the west side is pretty much crime/homicide free, all the homicides are on NE and SE
I didn't realize that crime was so rampant in Philly. The map is really telling. I wonder if the city has any plans to reduce the crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City