Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 03:56 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
So what was the definition again? Didn't hear any definitions given in the videos
I'm interested in knowing the definition as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 05:25 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,098,018 times
Quote:
By definition and for clarification what is street/ hood mentality?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I'm interested in knowing the definition as well.

A "hood" mentality, mindset, culture or whatever you want to call it would be...

- Going out to the club looking for trouble or any reason to fight, throwing up gang signs, etc.

- Females who think it's cool to talk about how many other girls she has or can "whoop"

- People who dont like nightspots or events that have a dress code because they feel dressing that way makes them look "lame"

- People who think listening to anything other than "Trap Rap" is "soft"

A good example is something that recently went on in the hip hop world.

Jay-Z, of course, was more "hood" in his earlier years but has grown older and more mature. On his recent album, he had a song where he said the following (edited for graphic language)

"You wanna know what's more important than throwin' away money at a strip club? Credit
Financial freedom my only hope
Forget livin' rich and dyin' broke
I bought some artwork for 1 million
2 years later, that was worth 2 million
Few years later, that was worth 8 million
I can't wait to give this to my children
Y'all think it's bougie, I'm like, it's fine
But I'm tryin' to give you a million dollars worth of game for $9.99
I turned that 2 to a 4, 4 to an 8
I turned my life into a nice first week release date
Y'all out here still takin' advances, huh?
Me and my guys takin' real Chances, uh
Y'all on the 'Gram holdin' money to your ear
There's a disconnect, we don't call that money over here, yeah
"

Jay-Z was just explaining the importance of investing your money properly instead of ignorantly blowing it on crap?

What happened? The "hood" mindset kicked in and several rappers started posting pictures of themselves on Instagram holding money up to their ear and foolishly speaking against what Jay-Z said, as if he said something bad.

This guy below is a 40-50 year old man who should be mature enough to understand and agree with what Jay-Z was saying, instead he spoke against it.

Louisiana Rapper, Lil Boosie, even made a video speaking against the Jay-Z lyrics

Speaking of Boosie, he was here in Macon recently. A guy I went to school with is a local bartender/promoter. He showed some of the performance on FB Live. With all of Boosie graphic lyrics full of violence and sexual content, there were some women out there with their KIDS. A couple were even holding their toddlers, bouncing up and down reciting songs word for word.

This my friends, is a "hood" mindset

Old 07-13-2017, 06:09 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,391,257 times
So is this about rappers, black rappers, black people?

Old 07-13-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
So is this about rappers, black rappers, black people?
Here are 2 very different night spots below. lol Do you really need a complex explanation as to which one of these is hood and which is not? What's your ulterior motive for pretending you dont know what's "hood" (ghetto, ratchet, or whatever you want to call it) and what's not? Nobody's that clueless.

Last edited by Southern Soul Bro; 07-13-2017 at 07:05 PM..

Old 07-13-2017, 07:30 PM

I don't have an ulterior motive, you haven't given me a clear definition just a bunch of videos..... I mean this is City vs City isn't it?

Old 07-13-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
I don't have an ulterior motive, you haven't given me a clear definition just a bunch of videos..... I mean this is City vs City isn't it?
Yeah right, just a bunch of videos

This was part of an earlier post

A "hood" mentality, mindset, culture or whatever you want to call it would be...

- Going out to the club looking for trouble or any reason to fight, throwing up gang signs, etc.

- Females who think it's cool to talk about how many other girls she has or can "whoop"

- People who dont like nightspots or events that have a dress code because they feel dressing that way makes them look "lame"

- People who think listening to anything other than "Trap Rap" is "soft"

If the aforementioned describes you or people you're around....then you or the atmosphere around you, could be described as hoodlum, hood, ghetto, etc.

What's not clear about this? As if you needed this explained anyway.

Last edited by Southern Soul Bro; 07-13-2017 at 08:05 PM..

Old 07-13-2017, 08:58 PM

Ok I think I'm clear on what type of thread this is now since you've clarified, yes very productive ��

Old 07-13-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Ok I think I'm clear on what type of thread this is now since you've clarified, yes very productive ��

What are you talking about? I asked a question about something I noticed. Others obviously understood what I was talking about and replied accordingly. It goes back to what I said earlier about your replies having an ulterior motive. You're way out in left field about something or reaching for something that's not there.

Last edited by Southern Soul Bro; 07-13-2017 at 09:25 PM..

Old 07-13-2017, 09:32 PM

Basically dude what's the point of the thread? What conclusion are you trying to get? Stay away from the country because there's "hood" blacks there or stay away from the big cities because there are "hood" blacks there?

Old 07-13-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Basically dude what's the point of the thread? What conclusion are you trying to get? Stay away from the country because there's "hood" blacks there or stay away from the big cities because there are "hood" blacks there?

Come back from out of left field. Whatever you're reaching for is not there.

I asked a question that I was wondering, others obviously understood and answered accordingly. Here are some pretty good replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yes because there's many different options in bigger cities and a more diverse array of people even within these different clubs. It's also not as lax on dressing as well. In towns like Macon and even smaller towns than that, it's a whole different level of hood. Small town mindset with a small time atmosphere. You see these same people all the time whereas in the bigger cities, you see different people every time you go. Also considering that it's probably the only club in the town or just one of only a several spots, it is packed. So that it is whole other level of being bothered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post

2. Educational attainment and wealth/disposable income aren't typically high in small southern cities, especially among African-Americans. There are far more jobs and opportunities to advance oneself in Atlanta vs. Albany, GA so it's not terribly surprising that cities like Atlanta or D.C. have much, much more black wealth and in turn more establishments that cater to that demographic.

Those are your conclusions. What are you so up in arms about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City