Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Main City of the Sunbelt(besides LA) & Southeast
Atlanta 66 55.00%
Charlotte 1 0.83%
Dallas 29 24.17%
Houston 38 31.67%
Kansas City 1 0.83%
Miami 12 10.00%
Memphis 2 1.67%
Nashville 3 2.50%
New Orleans 2 1.67%
Phoenix 8 6.67%
St.Louis 1 0.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 06:33 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
1. Exactly, you can't mention one without the other. Fort Worth is considered a Suburb city, it doesn't stand alone on its own as the main city within a metro like Birmingham.
2. I didn't single out Fort Worth, that guy brought up Fort Wort in relation to Dallas's advantage over Atlanta. Fact of the matter is, Birmingham is a much more developed city, with its own metro, nowhere near Atlanta whatsoever.
Only for those who don't know any better. It's no more a suburb than St. Paul, Oakland, St. Petersburg, etc. are "suburbs."

Old 08-25-2017, 06:34 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,416,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
He didn't say that and most people don't believe that; it is difficult to find data for it but if you search it on, say, Google, most results (on CD and otherwise) treat Fort Worth as a major city, as one with its own suburbs. Fort Worth alone is the center of the third largest metro in Texas and, with a population around two and a half million, is undoubtedly a major city, regardless of whether its growth has been helped by its proximity to Dallas.
Anything or anyone from Fort Worth, Arlington, Plano and etc. always gets connected to Dallas, no matter the subject. Fort Worth doesn't function like San Francisco/Oakland, which is what most of you are acting like it does.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:22 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,218,353 times
Quote:
Anything or anyone from Fort Worth, Arlington, Plano and etc. always gets connected to Dallas, no matter the subject. Fort Worth doesn't function like San Francisco/Oakland, which is what most of you are acting like it does.
Actually, it does, and it's a much more major city than Oakland is in the Bay Area since San Jose surpassed it in prominence years ago. Fort Worth is a major city in its own right with over 850,000 people and is headquarters to major corporations such as American Airlines and BNSF Railway to name a few. It may be lumped in with Dallas since they are a part of the same metro area and share some suburbs, but to dismiss a city as large as Fort Worth as a 'suburb' or equate it to Birmingham shows a sheer lack of knowledge and outright ignorance on your part.

I'm usually messing with JJG when he gets indignant about how FW is perceived by outsiders, but I certainly understand his frustration when clueless, ignorant posters claim the city is a "suburb" or try to dismiss its prominence.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
But it does. It has its own distinct identity, historic urban core, suburbs, and sphere of influence that overlaps with Dallas's. It is not at all a suburb and in terms of size and stature, is more akin to Charlotte than Birmingham.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:02 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,897,353 times
Quote:
1. Exactly, you can't mention one without the other. Fort Worth is considered a Suburb city, it doesn't stand alone on its own as the main city within a metro like Birmingham.
2. I didn't single out Fort Worth, that guy brought up Fort Wort in relation to Dallas's advantage over Atlanta. Fact of the matter is, Birmingham is a much more developed city, with its own metro, nowhere near Atlanta whatsoever.
Wow... you didn't really read any of what I typed, did you?

Quote:
I'm usually messing with JJG when he gets indignant about how FW is perceived by outsiders, but I certainly understand his frustration when clueless, ignorant posters claim the city is a "suburb" or try to dismiss its prominence.
My point, exactly.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:24 AM
_OT

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Actually, it does, and it's a much more major city than Oakland is in the Bay Area since San Jose surpassed it in prominence years ago. Fort Worth is a major city in its own right with over 850,000 people and is headquarters to major corporations such as American Airlines and BNSF Railway to name a few. It may be lumped in with Dallas since they are a part of the same metro area and share some suburbs, but to dismiss a city as large as Fort Worth as a 'suburb' or equate it to Birmingham shows a sheer lack of knowledge and outright ignorance on your part.

Oakland has its own Airport, Various Major/Minor League sports teams, a larger/livable downtown, dense/active core neighborhoods, has the BART, has it's own local urban culture (that influences San Fran, not the other way around) and etc. Everything you just explained for Fort Worth, screams suburb. Sorry, I'm not falling for the high population/large corporations excuse, it goes beyond that.

I've had family living in Fort Worth since the 90's and they still tell people they're from Dallas.

As I said before, Birmingham functions more as a developed city, which anchors the largest Metro in its state, with no help from a city like Dallas; not to mention the terrain/location is WAY better than FW. And miss me with that emotional crap, I visit Fort Worth VERY often and could be there as quick as tomorrow, I'm just telling it how I see it.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:29 AM
_OT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
But it does. It has its own distinct identity, historic urban core, suburbs, and sphere of influence that overlaps with Dallas's. It is not at all a suburb and in terms of size and stature, is more akin to Charlotte than Birmingham.
In size according to Area, yes, but for FW's stature to be so high, it shoots WELL below its height/stature.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:35 AM
JJG

Quote:
Oakland has its own Airport, Various Major/Minor League sports teams, a larger/livable downtown, dense/active core neighborhoods, has the BART, has it's own local urban culture (that influences San Fran, not the other way around) and etc. Everything you just explained for Fort Worth, screams suburb. Sorry, I'm not falling for the high population/large corporations excuse, it goes beyond that.

I've had family living in Fort Worth since the 90's and they still tell people they're from Dallas.

As I said before, Birmingham functions more as a developed city, which anchors the largest Metro in its state, with no help from a city like Dallas. And miss me with that emotional crap, I visit Fort Worth VERY often and could be there as quick as tomorrow, I'm just telling it how I see it.
I LIVE and GREW UP in Fort Worth, so I think what I say has more relevance.

- We have/had minor league teams, but that doesn't make a major city.
- We have two other airports, Mecham and Alliance. We had our own international airport that we had to sacrifice because the site of our former Great Southwestern Int'l is just a few thousand feet away from DFW.
- I doubt Oakland's downtown area is that much larger, if it is, and ours is a lot more "livable" than you're giving credit. We also have several active, urban core neighborhoods that are all growing. You would know that if you spent more than 5 minutes here.
- We have our own transportation system (FWTA)
- We have our own culture, identity, and suburbs, even.

Everyone else here has corrected you but you seem to be adamant about what little you actually know about this city. THAT'S where the frustration comes from... when people who actually live here tell you about Fort Worth, but you still keep saying the opposite as if what we say about our own damn town doesn't matter.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
In size according to Area, yes, but for FW's stature to be so high, it shoots WELL below its height/stature.
Not just land area, but population. FW only "shoots well below its height/stature" because it's overshadowed by the larger city in its metro, not unlike Oakland, St. Paul, St. Petersburg, Durham, etc. That's just the way things are in binodal metro areas.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:53 AM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Not just land area, but population. FW only "shoots well below its height/stature" because it's overshadowed by the larger city in its metro, not unlike Oakland, St. Paul, St. Petersburg, Durham, etc. That's just the way things are in binodal metro areas.
And if anything, going back to history again, Dallas takes away from Fort Worth much more than it adds to it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City