Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Sattelite/Secondary City?
Arlington, VA(Washington DC) 8 8.08%
Anaheim, CA(Los Angeles) 2 2.02%
Cambridge, MA(Boston) 13 13.13%
Fort Lauderdale, FL(Miami) 6 6.06%
Fort Worth, TX(Dallas) 25 25.25%
Jersey City, NJ(New York City) 3 3.03%
Henderson, NV(Las Vegas) 0 0%
Long Beach, CA(Los Angeles) 4 4.04%
Mesa, AZ(Phoenix) 2 2.02%
Mississauga, ON(Toronto) 5 5.05%
Naperville, IL(Chicago) 2 2.02%
Newark, NJ(New York City) 3 3.03%
Norfolk, VA(Virginia Beach) 5 5.05%
Oakland, CA(San Francisco) 14 14.14%
Scottsdale, AZ(Phoenix) 6 6.06%
St.Paul, MN(Minneapolis) 22 22.22%
St.Petersburg, FL(Tampa) 7 7.07%
Tacoma, WA(Seattle) 8 8.08%
Other(Specify) 6 6.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 11:26 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,818 times

Advertisements

Although it pisses people on the Fort Worth side of the metro off, I'm surprised Fort Worth to Dallas has not been listed or mentioned...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 12:05 PM

754 posts, read 569,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post
I voted St. Paul as it is the most complete IMO. Fort Worth is interesting because I think it is a much better city than Dallas.

I also agree that Wilmington DE should be on the list but it absolutely shouldn't win. I am always surprised by how little Wilmington has to offer aside from being a Tax Shelter.
What makes Fort Worth better than Dallas? Just wondering if you don’t mind

Old 02-09-2018, 12:17 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNorthman View Post
Baltimore (Washington DC) was left off the list.
Nice try, but you know better than that.

Old 02-09-2018, 12:38 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,172,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post
I voted St. Paul as it is the most complete IMO. Fort Worth is interesting because I think it is a much better city than Dallas.

I also agree that Wilmington DE should be on the list but it absolutely shouldn't win. I am always surprised by how little Wilmington has to offer aside from being a Tax Shelter.

What makes you think that? Have you spent time in Wilmington? Because I assure you, Wilmington and its immediate environs is far more than just a tax shelter. It is a mid-sized metro that packs quite a punch in terms of amenities, environment, diversity and education. It's easily the best portion of the Delaware Valley outside of Philly proper and the Main Line. While I also don't agree it should be the best secondary city of this list (that honor goes to Oakland, followed by Anaheim and St. Paul in my book), it's quite competitive for its size.

Old 02-09-2018, 02:25 PM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASJackson814 View Post
What makes Fort Worth better than Dallas? Just wondering if you don’t mind
Your question wasn't addressed to me, but I will say that Fort Worth has a more traditional Texas look, feel, and culture. On the other hand, Dallas is more into looking and being flashy and shiny and new to point where it sort of feels like Generic City, USA. I have said that before, and Dallas boosters attack me like that's some sort of knock on Dallas, but it's not. That's just how Dallas is these days. But Dallas is growing rapidly and trying to find a unique identity of its own, though, so I'm sure it won't always be that way, even though that's how it comes across right now.

Last edited by NoClueWho; 02-09-2018 at 02:39 PM..

Old 02-10-2018, 10:53 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Luthor View Post
Your question wasn't addressed to me, but I will say that Fort Worth has a more traditional Texas look, feel, and culture. On the other hand, Dallas is more into looking and being flashy and shiny and new to point where it sort of feels like Generic City, USA.
Spot on.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:24 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKirkland View Post
I think Bellevue still qualifies as a satellite/edge city to Seattle even though its fairly self sufficient. Decent grid, its downtown is growing rapidly and has all of the amenities you'd need to be car-free if you wanted to live/work there. LINK light rail service to Seattle is currently under construction.
Bellevue has many downtown-type qualities, but it can only exist in the orbit of another core city. DT Bellevue lacks a lot of the civic infrastructure and burdens that the real core gets -- federal/state/county government, institutions (on a metro scale), homeless, tourism, and so on. It simply replaces old-style sprawl with a dense, walkable format.

Old 02-10-2018, 06:12 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,601,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASJackson814 View Post
the 2 & 3rd Largest cities in the Miami metro are Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach.
Hialeah and Fort Lauderdale are 2nd and 3rd largest(population wise). I think I know what you meant though. West Palm Beach anchors a much larger area than Hialeah

Old 02-13-2018, 02:05 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,055,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
Hialeah and Fort Lauderdale are 2nd and 3rd largest(population wise). I think I know what you meant though. West Palm Beach anchors a much larger area than Hialeah
Well I don't think a satellite city is defined by a suburb that has the most people. From what I understand Hialeah is a bedroom community that only exists due to proximity to Miami. Whereas WPB and Ft Lauderdale are true satellites no? #citypopisworthless

Old 02-13-2018, 05:07 AM

324 posts, read 402,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Nice try, but you know better than that.
While Baltimore is a great city in its own right, it is the secondary city in that region!! I know that some of you people wish that it 300 miles or whatever from DC, but it’s only 35 miles away, thus making it second fiddle. And while DC and Balt will never become a MSA (because of politics), the reality is that they are close to each other and share overlapping suburbs. They even share an airport that is 10 miles from Balt and a little over 20 miles from DC (I realize that the region has two additional airports). So yes, Baltimore is the secondary city in the DC/Balt/Arlington CSA, which in reality is a single mteropolitan area. It’s just a shame that some of you people have a heart attack every time Baltimore and DC are put into the same sentence!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City