Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which State?
Texas 73 35.10%
California 135 64.90%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 08:51 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
I don't understand how Texas has better highways. All the highways that are tolled there, would not be tolled in California, and there's so many. I'd pick California, i like the beach out here more, all the scenery.
The highways in Texas are in better shape. I think thats what they mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 09:13 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,821 times
1. Cities (Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio, Fort Worth, El Paso, etc vs LA, SF, SD, San Jose, Sacramento, etc)

Cali. Even sprawling LA has more urban neighborhoods and walkable areas than all of TX's major cities combined. Chinatown and Koreatown in Dallas & Houston are absolute jokes in comparison to LA's, never mind SF's. With that said, there are many nice qualities about TX's cities. But with the exception of food and multiculturalism, they simply cannot compare to LA or SF.

2. Food. Which state has a better dining/restaurant scene?

Tie. Depends what you like.

3. K-12 Education. Great school districts in both Texas and California, mostly located in the major metro areas.

Edge to Cali. TX doesn't really value education, with the exception of the major metros.

4. Quality of Life. (Cost of living, commute times, air pollution, public education, weather, health).

COL = TX
Commute Times = TX
Air Pollution = Tie
Public Education = CA
Weather = CA
Health = CA

Slight edge to CA based off of that criteria, but COL is a major difference. Could easily be TX.

5. Friendliness. Which state has overall friendlier people?

Probably a tie. Neither are as outwardly "unfriendly" as the northeast.

6. Economic Prospects/Future. Both are fast growing economic powerhouses, which has the “brighter” future?

Tie. Both can actually secede and make it on their own. The U.S. as a whole doesn't have a bright future anyways.

7. Scenery. (Pacific coast and California mountains vs Texas Hill Country and Big Bend National Park).

CA. TX does have some impressive scenery, but it's much further away from its major metros compared to CA's.

8. Infrastructure. (Both states are known for their wide freeways and large airports. When factoring in highways, airports, and even mass transit, which state does it better?

Mass transit = CA. Mass transit in TX is a joke. If you're pro-environment and sustainability, then wider freeways isn't a good thing. From a design and safety standpoint, I find DFW's freeways particularly dangerous. Haven't spent enough time on Cali's to comment.

9. Where would you rather live? Texas or California?

TX for now. Who knows what the future holds though.

Old 03-02-2018, 10:06 AM

6,540 posts, read 12,037,130 times
In 2018, Texas. Lower cost of living, better economy, and brighter future. They are about to have a bullet train in a few years, long before California completes theirs, and it probably won't connect LA and SF like originally planned. Houston's public transit is not that great, but I'm hearing the DFW area is getting a lot better. California might have exciting cities to visit and better natural scenery, but I wouldn't live there again. If I were to live in Texas, I would live in Austin or DFW.

Old 03-02-2018, 05:58 PM

1,051 posts, read 797,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
1. I live in Midland-Odessa,Texas and here are my thoughts on Texas vs Cali:
i have a lot more experience with the Texas cities than Cali cities.I have only been to San Diego but i really enjoyed it.I was there a decade ago but it was too cold for me in June...It was 60 that afternoon.I for sure want to explore more of California.I have only been to Cali twice in my life and the last time was when i was a freshman in college.
Calling California "Cali" is a surefire way to make it clear you haven't spent much time there. No one in California uses that terminology. Cali is a city in Columbia.

Old 03-02-2018, 05:59 PM

1,051 posts, read 797,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Hmm, I guess I'll be a guy like you, and make amorphous claims about disordered conurbations...
- No, you're still being THAT guy.......

Old 03-02-2018, 06:51 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,373,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprez33 View Post
Calling California "Cali" is a surefire way to make it clear you haven't spent much time there. No one in California uses that terminology. Cali is a city in Columbia.

I dont be mean or anything but why should it matter?This is a free country and i can call it Cali if i want and i will.Best wishes to you.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:00 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,684,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I dont be mean or anything but why should it matter?This is a free country and i can call it Cali if i want and i will.
It sure is and you sure can. Enjoy life in Texi.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:07 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,373,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
It sure is and you sure can. Enjoy life in Texi.
Well i do love living in Texas.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:41 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,592,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprez33 View Post
You mean Colombia

Old 03-02-2018, 09:05 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,088,135 times
I've heard a lot of people, on vacation here, transplants, and even oversead, say they are from Cali, including my two adult cousins born and raised in the Bay Area. Sure, not everyone says it, maybe a small minority of California, but using the term isn't any scientific or sure way of telling if someone has spent much time in California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City