Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: better reputation?
Washington DC 52 49.52%
Boston 53 50.48%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 08:37 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
I think DC is heads and shoulders above Boston personally. Boston has a more small-town vibe to it. Seems like a great place to get educated, but I've always felt it was highly overrated as a place to live.
Boston is kinda like a cluster of small towns near each other, but without the close knit family atmosphere and with traffic and a permeating tinge of pretense. So yes, highly overrated. But I can't say I like DC much either. It's a real "nowhere place" to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 10:15 AM

6,807 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Boston is kinda like a cluster of small towns near each other
Is this terribly unique to Boston? Is walking from Back Bay to Cambridge so much different than walking from Pest to Buda or from Westminster to Lambeth?

And yes I realize that a big difference is that Buda&Pest and Westminster&Lambeth have a single city government whereas Boston&Cambridge have 2, but I don’t think that Mass’s love of bureaucracy really changes a lot about the area compared to cities that consolidated.

It’s one thing to feel like Boston isn’t interesting enough, but don’t undeservingly belittle it.

Old 06-07-2018, 12:16 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Boston is kinda like a cluster of small towns near each other, but without the close knit family atmosphere and with traffic and a permeating tinge of pretense. So yes, highly overrated. But I can't say I like DC much either. It's a real "nowhere place" to me.
This thread is about reputation and respect. Not about liking the place. There is no more respected city in the U.S. other than maybe NY, LA than Washington DC. It's simply too high on the totem pole of American cities and way too important globally to ever be considered a "nowhere place". The amount of foreign dignitaries and diplomats that come into town or have homes in the city and region deem it too important of a city to be considered what you frame it as.

Boston's a great historic American city, big city attributes, decent hustle and bustle, but as someone else mentioned doesn't really compare that great to the importance of a city like DC with so much influence and important things going on at once. Boston is great for hospitals and universities and some commerce, but is not a stand out world city in the same league as Washington.

In the city limits of Washington DC alone you have:

The White House
United States Congress
United States Supreme Court
The World Bank
The International Monetary Fund
Smithsonian Institute (largest such complex of museums in the world)
Department of Treasury
Library of Congress
State Department
FBI
Fannie Mae
Planned Parenthood
Human Rights Campaign (HRC)
The Basilica of the National Shrine

Over 170 embassies and consulates more than any city in the United States. Not to mention DC also having it's own fair share of high level universities and hospitals for it's population as well.

No where in the US can compare to that many important institutions all within one city limits, save for possibly New York.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:01 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
This thread is about reputation and respect. Not about liking the place. There is no more respected city in the U.S. other than maybe NY, LA than Washington DC. It's simply too high on the totem pole of American cities and way too important globally to ever be considered a "nowhere place". The amount of foreign dignitaries and diplomats that come into town or have homes in the city and region deem it too important of a city to be considered what you frame it as.

Boston's a great historic American city, big city attributes, decent hustle and bustle, but as someone else mentioned doesn't really compare that great to the importance of a city like DC with so much influence and important things going on at once. Boston is great for hospitals and universities and some commerce, but is not a stand out world city in the same league as Washington.

In the city limits of Washington DC alone you have:

The White House
United States Congress
United States Supreme Court
The World Bank
The International Monetary Fund
Smithsonian Institute (largest such complex of museums in the world)
Department of Treasury
Library of Congress
State Department
FBI
Fannie Mae
Planned Parenthood
Human Rights Campaign (HRC)
The Basilica of the National Shrine

Over 170 embassies and consulates more than any city in the United States. Not to mention DC also having it's own fair share of high level universities and hospitals for it's population as well.

No where in the US can compare to that many important institutions all within one city limits, save for possibly New York.
As a proud Bostonian, this is a great post, and is why I voted for DC. Repped.

This thread is about reputation and power. Though Boston punches WAY above it's weight, and get's a real amount of international attention, it's hard to understand how anyone could argue against DC on this thread.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
This thread is about reputation and power.
No. It’s about reputation and respect. There’s a difference.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
No. It’s about reputation and respect. There’s a difference.
Doesn't change the answer.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Doesn't change the answer.
It should.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
It should.
Should and does. There's a difference.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:51 AM

154 posts, read 160,812 times
More Respect? Boston.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:51 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:
Is this terribly unique to Boston? Is walking from Back Bay to Cambridge so much different than walking from Pest to Buda or from Westminster to Lambeth?

And yes I realize that a big difference is that Buda&Pest and Westminster&Lambeth have a single city government whereas Boston&Cambridge have 2, but I don’t think that Mass’s love of bureaucracy really changes a lot about the area compared to cities that consolidated.

It’s one thing to feel like Boston isn’t interesting enough, but don’t undeservingly belittle it.
The ending of that sentence was really the important part. I said that it's like a cluster of small towns but without the good aspects. So yeah I agree, there is no difference between many formerly unique neighborhoods. It's all sterile yuppie yoga studios, glass box condos, and "trendy" bars with a line of Ubers slowly crawling down the streets to whisk our new tech overlords to their next Bumble date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City