Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 08:24 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,333,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
If I took the time to find that thread.... going back many many months? You argued the point till a poster put up a street-view. Really irreverent, but I remember the argument. As for podium-style. If done right they work fine in cities where it still isn't price prohibitive to use for a garage in a apt/condo high-rise.
Again, you're making stuff up. I never made such a claim, and it has nothing to do with anything.
Quote:
Again, I should not need to pst street-views f some done right.
Agreed, please don't post useless pics, when we already know parking garages are horrible for street level vibrancy.
Quote:
You do realize .... tenements many times became sardine packed slums for immigrants back in the day.
OK? Tenements haven't been "sardine packed slums for immigrants" in 100 years. Has nothing to do with anything in 2018.
Quote:
Some people are not fond of highest density living.
That's great. Then they don't like big city urban living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2018, 12:07 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,856,075 times
Give me the urban type anyday. Parking podiums suck even if they're tarted up or hidden. An urban city has less parking, and you look up and see windows and activity not storage or blank walls.

Seattle's earning its place in tier 2 downtowns with an astonishing growth rate...any two-year increment makes it substantially better, particularly since 2010. We're building better parking ratios than most, with new towers having way fewer parking spaces than housing units, and office towers in the very core getting down to rates like 15-20% spaces vs. workers. (And something like 1/4 of Amazon HQ1 workers drive alone including buildings a little further from the old CBD, word to the wise.) However we have weaknesses, like many streets being too wide since Seattle's hourglass shape funnels traffic through the CBD.

Old 05-12-2018, 12:49 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,770,754 times
Tier 1
NYC
Chicago

Tier 2
San Francisco
Philadelphia
DC
Boston
Seattle

Tier 3
Los Angeles
Denver
Pittsburgh
Portland
Minneapolis
New Orleans
Miami
Detroit
Atlanta
Baltimore
Milwaukee
San Diego

Tier 4
Cleveland
Kansas City
St. Louis
Cincinnati
Indianapolis
Charlotte
San Antonio
Dallas
Phoenix

Old 05-12-2018, 10:08 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Give me the urban type anyday. Parking podiums suck even if they're tarted up or hidden. An urban city has less parking, and you look up and see windows and activity not storage or blank walls.

Seattle's earning its place in tier 2 downtowns with an astonishing growth rate...any two-year increment makes it substantially better, particularly since 2010. We're building better parking ratios than most, with new towers having way fewer parking spaces than housing units, and office towers in the very core getting down to rates like 15-20% spaces vs. workers. (And something like 1/4 of Amazon HQ1 workers drive alone including buildings a little further from the old CBD, word to the wise.) However we have weaknesses, like many streets being too wide since Seattle's hourglass shape funnels traffic through the CBD.
I'm sure you were to Chicago that is for American cities seen as urban (no not in NYC's tier so no one needs to add that). Well Chicago has a core of high-rises that most built the last 30 years or more .... as podium-style high-rise living. Early versions were poor street-level. Later ones clearly are improved in street-side eateries, coffee shops to grocery stores. They can be done right. Also like Seattle.... Chicago also is getting more urban despite lost housing from racial strife and blight on its troubled areas.

Do I believe podium-style high-rises are the best urban form? No .... bit neither are tenements. To some row-housing to tenement-style are the true urban form being connected for full blocks. Well not the only of best for most Americans today.

For sunbelt cities transforming to mere high-rise and urban living (American urban). I'd rather a garage on the bottom of the high-rise then a separate garage next door. Houston has new ones with separated garages even killing intersections I've see and I've seen the worst podium-style too there.

But still a better option is the podium-style IMO...... over building a separate garage like they are doing.

A blend of old and new with still street-level offerings in the new with long established offerings still street-level in the old. Those living in a podium still have the LUXURY of a car to use for pleasure travel outside the city and other options in the building many times. So they get the best of both world's in the cities top attributes around them and their own gym to dry cleaners convenient to them and their Bentley to Tesla.... its own condo too.

Toronto forced high-rises to paces garages underground. But it doesn't mean it offers more street-level. For Chicago it has its city underground garages for nearly 2000 cars and embraced the podium high-rise. Seems to work for it.

Examples of podiums with street-level offerings.

Couple here ... I don't think it's ugly

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8952...7i13312!8i6656

Next door one

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8940...7i13312!8i6656

Side view of both show the garage entrances

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8948...7i13312!8i6656

This older podium ... still has a nice restaurant street-level.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8933...7i13312!8i6656

Aqua-color small podium squeezed in with a lovely lavishly flower-filled restaurant next door. Key can be mixed old and new.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8940...7i13312!8i6656

Couple more

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8932...7i13312!8i6656

Another nice one.... you'd never know till you see the entrance ramp with older buildings it too. Maybe to some a bit fake... but I like it. Color, dimension, texture and style to me.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8963...7i13312!8i6656

The saving grace of this older podium-style on the left .... is the older lovely building in front attached to it with the commercial offerings.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8974...7i13312!8i6656

Whole Foods in the street-level of this podium

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8948...7i13312!8i6656

Parking garage in the Loop with retail street-level.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8844...7i13312!8i6656

Another one

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8795...7i13312!8i6656

I'm certainly not saying NYC needs them .... but clearly could work in a Houston, Dallas and Atlanta. They clearly do in Chicago's core.

Old 05-12-2018, 10:50 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,856,075 times
Chicago is diminished for this reason too, though it's still a great city.

Old 05-13-2018, 05:46 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,277,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaRaRyan View Post
Are you trying to suggest D.C. is not a real city?

Skyscrapers aren't the defining criteria for what makes a "real city" (yes it is part of it and happens to be #2 on the OP's personal criteria). Is Dublin not a real city? What about Rome or Copenhagen or Lisbon? They seemed like large bustling metropolises when I visited them. Most of them had more vibrancy and life than a majority of the cities listed already. They all lack height as well, but more than make up for it with the other criteria listed. D.C. is the same way.
No offense but DC is nothing like the cities you listed in comparison. DC, for most of its downtown, is a soulless office park. You can’t even get a decent slice of pizza!

Why they wiped out all that awesome 19th century architecture is far beyond me.

Last edited by Mr. Joshua; 05-13-2018 at 05:56 AM..

Old 05-13-2018, 07:00 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,333,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
No offense but DC is nothing like the cities you listed in comparison. DC, for most of its downtown, is a soulless office park. You can’t even get a decent slice of pizza!

This is definitely not true. DC is a Top 6 downtown. Putting aside NYC, it's roughly equal to Chicago, SF, Philly and Boston.

You don't have good random odds of getting a decent slice of pizza really anywhere outside of Naples and NYC's outer boroughs. I don't see what this has to do with anything.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:20 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
This is definitely not true. DC is a Top 6 downtown. Putting aside NYC, it's roughly equal to Chicago, SF, Philly and Boston.

You don't have good random odds of getting a decent slice of pizza really anywhere outside of Naples and NYC's outer boroughs. I don't see what this has to do with anything.
God stop with the Pizza. Boston, Providence, New Haven on average have just as good Pizza, Bagels too.

However the quantity of NYC is underrated it's not bigger than Boston or San Francisco is WAY BIGGER, but the qaulity is overrated.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:26 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,186,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post

Lol false. Philly offers pizza is just as good or arguably even better than NYC.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:49 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,748,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post

This notion is so outdated. When was the last time you were in DC? When you visited downtown DC, which downtown neighborhoods did you visit? Penn Quarter? Mt. Vernon Triangle? Gallery Place/City Center? Logan Circle? DuPont Circle? Foggy Bottom? Golden Triangle? Midtown? NOMA/Union Market? or Eastend Union Station? Only Midtown and Golden Triangle are office parks and Golden Triangle has some of the busiest nightlife in DC on Friday and Saturday nights.

As for pizza, did you try Wise Guys Pizza in Mt. Vernon Triangle? I have never met anybody who didn’t like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City