Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2018, 12:13 AM

481 posts, read 422,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Screw deep dish pizzas!!! It's not about pizzas! Stick to the forum and or just get out
Pictured above: A man literally called "The Topper" demands people stop discussing pizza
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2018, 06:32 AM

48 posts, read 42,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Screw deep dish pizzas!!! It's not about pizzas! Stick to the forum and or just get out
Hey boss, NOLA101 is the one who introduced pizza into the discussion. If you're going to go after someone, make it the "right" someone.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:33 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,917,654 times
Minneapolis downtown is not great. Now Friday and Saturday nights, its live. Plenty of bars, restaurants and theaters. But no retail, dead sun- thursday. The weather brings it down a notch. Don't get me wrong, i like skyways but what makes a downtown special is seeing crowds of people.

Old 05-21-2018, 12:42 PM

306 posts, read 480,109 times
There are really two cities that are mega downtowns in the United States with everything in walking distance, cab/uber ride. That would be NYC and Chicago. There is an enormous tier downgrade after the 2 when you consider an American Downtown.

Skyscrapers, Shopping, Museums, Restaurants, Tourist attractions

NYC is the mega mega in the U.S. I will say this, I do not like the new skinny supertalls that are overtaking NYC. I get it, so much land to build on, but these are ugly buildings.

For Chicago, not a fan of the new spire site two buildings, but that is me.

Now Boston and San Fran are more European in its street layout and density, but lack the skyscrapers to be in the first tier.

Philly is better, but still kind of meh to many.

DC is kind of bland with its office buildings and feels kinda of sterile. It does have an amazing subway system for its size.

All my opinion. Everyone has one.

Old 05-21-2018, 01:44 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,244,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westburbsil View Post
There are really two cities that are mega downtowns in the United States with everything in walking distance, cab/uber ride. That would be NYC and Chicago. There is an enormous tier downgrade after the 2 when you consider an American Downtown.

NYC is the mega mega in the U.S. I will say this, I do not like the new skinny supertalls that are overtaking NYC. I get it, so much land to build on, but these are ugly buildings.

Now Boston and San Fran are more European in its street layout and density, but lack the skyscrapers to be in the first tier.

DC is kind of bland with its office buildings and feels kinda of sterile. It does have an amazing subway system for its size.

I surely understand opinion and mostly glass towers today. But at least it's not just a box. Most get tweaked before ultimate construction till the city approves it and neighbors accept it.

Former Chicago Spire sight two-tower development announced you mentioned... announced just the other day. One at 1,100 ft. I do see the picture RENDERING STRETCHES its scale vs the surrounding ones .... LOL.

https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/5/16...te-skyscrapers

Some others recently announced with some approved after changes.

One Chicago Square at 1,011 Ft. Approved for start this year.

https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/1/18...ll-development

A ultra-luxury Tower for Chicago's South Loop for 2019 ground-breaking 1000m. Approved to build.

https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/4/9/...ruction-update

Tribune Tower addition to be 1,422 ft. Very recently announced.

https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/4/17...yscraper-hotel

*** PRICELINE ANNOUNCED CHICAGO MOST BOOKED CITY FOR THÃŽS WEEKEND FOR MEMORIAL DAY. In today's Curbed Chicago news.... Its Tourism keeps rising guess downtown won't be empty by far....

https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/5/21...priceline-2018

Last edited by DavePa; 05-21-2018 at 01:55 PM..

Old 05-21-2018, 04:48 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,713,697 times
Quote:

San Francisco in no way, shape, or form lacks skyscrapers - what are you basing that on?

http://www.socketsite.com/wp-content...2017-North.jpg

Old 05-21-2018, 05:48 PM

1,393 posts, read 861,365 times
Quote:

Not sure why skyscrapers should be included in criteria about America’s best downtowns.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:14 PM

306 posts, read 480,109 times
San Fran for sure does not lack Skyscrapers. What I am saying is after Chicago and New York there is a big drop off. Heck there is a big drop off from NYC to Chicago.

Why I add skyscrapers is that it is very American. Chicago the birth of it. NYC known for its towering canyons. Signifying American capitalism/exceptionalism. Just got back from Europe, traveled all around. Not until recently has London had many skyscrapers. Most European cities are ground level dense.

Boston best reflects Europe in my opinion.

Funny going to Rome, Amalfi coast, Scotland, Greece, our country is such a baby.

Old 05-22-2018, 07:46 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
San Fran for sure does not lack Skyscrapers. What I am saying is after Chicago and New York there is a big drop off. Heck there is a big drop off from NYC to Chicago.

Why I add skyscrapers is that it is very American. Chicago the birth of it. NYC known for its towering canyons. Signifying American capitalism/exceptionalism. Just got back from Europe, traveled all around. Not until recently has London had many skyscrapers. Most European cities are ground level dense.

Boston best reflects Europe in my opinion.

Funny going to Rome, Amalfi coast, Scotland, Greece, our country is such a baby.
I think density is much a better measure of what makes a great city, you even said it yourself. A skyline is a great attribute, but very much an American phenomena of what makes a city great.

NYC is the exception because its a monster on all levels.

Old 05-22-2018, 07:57 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
I surely understand opinion and mostly glass towers today. But at least it's not just a box. Most get tweaked before ultimate construction till the city approves it and neighbors accept it.

Former Chicago Spire sight two-tower development announced you mentioned... announced just the other day. One at 1,100 ft. I do see the picture RENDERING STRETCHES its scale vs the surrounding ones .... LOL.

https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/5/16...te-skyscrapers

Some others recently announced with some approved after changes.

One Chicago Square at 1,011 Ft. Approved for start this year.

https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/1/18...ll-development

A ultra-luxury Tower for Chicago's South Loop for 2019 ground-breaking 1000m. Approved to build.

https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/4/9/...ruction-update

Tribune Tower addition to be 1,422 ft. Very recently announced.

https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/4/17...yscraper-hotel

*** PRICELINE ANNOUNCED CHICAGO MOST BOOKED CITY FOR THÃŽS WEEKEND FOR MEMORIAL DAY. In today's Curbed Chicago news.... Its Tourism keeps rising guess downtown won't be empty by far....

https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/5/21...priceline-2018

They all look the same. Every city is getting a version of these buildings including here but I do love the old buildings that make up most of downtown Milwaukee.

I guess I'll rethink a quick trip to Chicago this weekend. Maybe in a few weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City