Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2018, 06:38 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,244,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
The one at State and Chicago is all approved to be the 6th tallest in the city, Chicago Square

https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/1/18...ll-development

The one at Hubbard and Wabash has plans to be a retail and possibly highrise complex with elevated sidewalks and plazas over the intersections

https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/6/28...mall-expansion

One of the last prominent lots east of Michigan is also poised for a 1,000+ foot tall tower set to rise. It would be Chicago's second tallest.

https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/4/17...yscraper-hotel

Just yesterday they released plans for the old Chicago Spire site. It would be a 1,100 foot and 850 foot tapered towers.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...482774061.html
OMG These 2 for the original Chicago Spire sight ARE AWESOME. Developer and owner .... Related Midwest sure delivered with a significant design.... as they said they would. The architect David Childs - is also who designed One World Trade Center in New York City.

Locals are already concerned with congestion. But I'm sure something will be worked out as no one will see these buildings as not a great addition to Chicago. They will be adding a park to they will pay for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 06:39 PM

8,865 posts, read 6,869,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradalan View Post
Maybe diminished in your eyes, but Chicago is, easily, the second best downtown in the US. You mentioned Seattle in other posts....it's homeless problem is being brought to the forefront, by Amazon's reluctance to pay the head tax. I loved Seattle when I visited, but in no way, would I want to live there. The homeless problem wasn't nearly as rampant when I visited there, a decade ago. It will be interesting to follow in the news, how Seattle deals with this growing problem.
Chicago has a great downtown, certainly in the top 3-4 in the US, and clearly the #2 based on size.

And agreed that Seattle has let the homeless thing get out of hand. It's only partially related to tech though (several big techs have multiple buildings going up apiece, not just one company). We also make construction artificially expensive in a lot of ways. And we're way too permissive.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:28 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,629,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji7 View Post
They won’t let me rep you anymore LOL! But you’re right, here in NY there’s no space to build so tall and thin residential is the hot ticket. In Chicago there’s much more room to construct and with less restrictions and NIMBY’s.
It's pretty unbelievable how many supertalls have gone up in Manhattan (as well as proposed). Chicago is starting to get in on the action with Wanda and new supertall proposals (Spire site, Tribune Tower, OCP + potential at Two Grant Park and Wolf Point). I think 2-3 of those proposals become a reality, but it's tough to project; much depends on if the economy holds for 3-5 years. In any case, Chicago is hot but nowhere near NYC's supertall tear.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:55 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
T1: New York City

T2: Chicago, San Francisco, Philly(Center City), Boston

T3 Upcoming: Seattle, Miami, Houston, Atlanta, Austin, Dallas, DC

Honorable mentions: Tampa, Orlando, Fort Lauderdale, Jersey City, Charlotte, Raleigh, San Deigo, Jacksonville, Portland, Denver, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Nashville, Louisville, Pittsburgh

Old 05-17-2018, 08:58 AM

122 posts, read 91,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
T1: New York City

T2: Chicago, San Francisco, Philly, Boston

T3 Upcoming: Seattle, Miami, Houston, Atlanta, Austin, Dallas, DC

Honorable mentions: Tampa, Orlando, Fort Lauderdale, Jersey City, Charlotte, Raleigh, San Deigo, Jacksonville, Portland, Denver, Minneapolis, Milwaukee
I think San Diego is being sold short here, it belongs at least in T3 - San Diego's DT has GL, Little Italy etc, and is a relatively pleasant urban experience. Especially in relation to the rest of San Diego which is just boring suburbia (well PB being an exception).

Old 05-17-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TasteofSourCherry View Post
I think San Diego is being sold short here, it belongs at least in T3 - San Diego's DT has GL, Little Italy etc, and is a relatively pleasant urban experience. Especially in relation to the rest of San Diego which is just boring suburbia (well PB being an exception).
In the future San Deigo will be paired with T3 cities

Old 05-17-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
In the future San Deigo will be paired with T3 cities
San Diego's DT is at least as good as Seattle's (a T3 city by your ranking), and I'd say better (though I have more limited experience with) Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, and Austin. In fact, I'd put San Diego's DT above that of Miami at this stage.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TasteofSourCherry View Post
San Diego's DT is at least as good as Seattle's (a T3 city by your ranking), and I'd say better (though I have more limited experience with) Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, and Austin. In fact, I'd put San Diego's DT above that of Miami at this stage.
What makes Downtown San Deigo a T3 City does it have transit, jobs, walkable etc ?

Old 05-17-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
What makes Downtown San Deigo a T3 City does it have transit, jobs, walkable etc ?
If you're asking this question it's obvious you have no experience with DT San Diego, meaning you shouldn't be ranking it.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:05 AM

How Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Toledo, Akron Downtown area any Ohio fans ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City