Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2018, 02:49 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,626,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
What about San Jose?
world class cities should have world class downtowns, no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 03:10 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,924,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Even Boise gets an honorable mention, but nothing from San Jose, the greatest city in the world?

Old 08-07-2018, 04:41 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Quote:
Even Boise gets an honorable mention, but nothing from San Jose, the greatest city in the world?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Quote:
What about San Jose?
San Jose is so world-class it doesn't even belong in the discussion of American downtowns. It's so vastly superior there's no reason it should even be compared to such lowly places.

Old 08-07-2018, 04:55 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,924,658 times
Conflict of interest, so I didn't include San Jose. Just unbiased and honest posting.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:51 PM

2,426 posts, read 2,476,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I agree with all except Dallas Houston and honorable mention of Nashville...(no shopping or transit and to small)

Not true and don't Agree! DT Nashville does deserve the honorable mention, pretty nice size DT and busy. It its not at all small. As far a Transit It has Buses and Commuter rail but no HRT or Light rail so no Transit is not true either.. Not a small city and DT is vibrant so yes it does deserve HM!

Old 08-08-2018, 02:43 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,667,412 times
I have a unique lens on this after visiting some world cities over the past few months, at least I think. As per World Class level? Well, I was in San Francisco two years ago, and in Europe in a few places after (Copenhagen, Berlin, etc.). I thought those places absolutely blew SFs downtown out of the water. Perhaps I didn't go to the right places in SF though, or I spent too little time in Union Square, I don't know. SF as a region is dynamic, but the city? Very nice in parts and unique setting, but nothing special to me overall, too many spaces lacking bustle honestly. Similarly, I found Downtown Seattle quite overrated, I found DT Vancouver to be much more vibrant, urbane, name your adjective. I think that Midwest cities are underrated compared to their reputations (their downtown cores can stack up against any in the South and I would say also edge out the west in that regard IMO.) Truly elite though, hmm. I'll have to go by region. Nowhere I've been so far out west (aside from of course Vancouver), would I put in that group. Not saying there aren't nice places, or that SF might not crack the American Top 5 as it was pretty cool, but nowhere out West is at the Top. The south. Well, Miami is getting better. Saint Petersburg is actually a sleeper. Atlanta I think is really well rounded and New Orleans of course is super entertaining. But none of those would I place in the Top 5 of the US. Perhaps a combination of the elements of Atlanta, Miami and New Orleans would be a Top 5 in that sense but I'm not sure. Midwest? I'm a Clevelander, and I absolutely love it and think it is severely underrated (as is Detroit, Pittsburgh etc.), but none of those are Top 5 on overall vibrancy (and I think many there prefer it that way anyways, I even prefer that for long term living purposes I think, unless I had a really, truly amazing public transport which I think is absent period in the Americas (no offense). Chicago would probably go into the Top group from the Midwest. Northeast I think is going to reign supreme here of course. New York City would be number one. Boston is fantastic too likely Top 5 as I like how unbelievably walkable it is and how forward thinking developers there were in using park spaces. I think based on what I've seen/heard of Philadelphia, I might like it better than Boston and perhaps Number 2 overall. DC is really hard to say. It has some truly great urban neighborhoods that are as good as anywhere and in my opinion is America's most Europe like city (calls to mind a more scenic/bucolic Amsterdam for me, or maybe Stockholm). But I can't really give it credit for having a true downtown because I'm not sure that it indeed does have one. So, in conclusion, downtown cores, Boston, Chicago, New York City and Philadelphia are Top 4 and I guess for now San Francisco in the 5 slot though I still have a hunch somewhere in the US may beat it, or I just need to spend more time there. Charleston actually in spite of it's diminutive size has great continuous urbanity, and apart from the fact that it is SO much smaller than the others and a car free lifestyle would truly be difficult there, I could see it at least being Top 10. That said, I think that Vancouver, Montreal, Calgary, Toronto maybe even Quebec City would all have strong claims to that 5 spot if we were talking about North America as a whole, same in Mexico for probably most of it's Top 10 cities, I do need to spend more time on like a 4-5 day venture to NYC to truly compare, but to me no urban experience in the Americas matches up with Mexico City. Sorry not sorry, but of course that is based on subjective taste too and I can see where it falls short also.

Old 08-08-2018, 02:55 PM

17,155 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
I have a unique lens on this after visiting some world cities over the past few months, at least I think. As per World Class level? Well, I was in San Francisco two years ago, and in Europe in a few places after (Copenhagen, Berlin, etc.). I thought those places absolutely blew SFs downtown out of the water. Perhaps I didn't go to the right places in SF though, or I spent too little time in Union Square, I don't know. SF as a region is dynamic, but the city? Very nice in parts and unique setting, but nothing special to me overall, too many spaces lacking bustle honestly. Similarly, I found Downtown Seattle quite overrated, I found DT Vancouver to be much more vibrant, urbane, name your adjective. I think that Midwest cities are underrated compared to their reputations (their downtown cores can stack up against any in the South and I would say also edge out the west in that regard IMO.) Truly elite though, hmm. I'll have to go by region. Nowhere I've been so far out west (aside from of course Vancouver), would I put in that group. Not saying there aren't nice places, or that SF might not crack the American Top 5 as it was pretty cool, but nowhere out West is at the Top. The south. Well, Miami is getting better. Saint Petersburg is actually a sleeper. Atlanta I think is really well rounded and New Orleans of course is super entertaining. But none of those would I place in the Top 5 of the US. Perhaps a combination of the elements of Atlanta, Miami and New Orleans would be a Top 5 in that sense but I'm not sure. Midwest? I'm a Clevelander, and I absolutely love it and think it is severely underrated (as is Detroit, Pittsburgh etc.), but none of those are Top 5 on overall vibrancy (and I think many there prefer it that way anyways, I even prefer that for long term living purposes I think, unless I had a really, truly amazing public transport which I think is absent period in the Americas (no offense). Chicago would probably go into the Top group from the Midwest. Northeast I think is going to reign supreme here of course. New York City would be number one. Boston is fantastic too likely Top 5 as I like how unbelievably walkable it is and how forward thinking developers there were in using park spaces. I think based on what I've seen/heard of Philadelphia, I might like it better than Boston and perhaps Number 2 overall. DC is really hard to say. It has some truly great urban neighborhoods that are as good as anywhere and in my opinion is America's most Europe like city (calls to mind a more scenic/bucolic Amsterdam for me, or maybe Stockholm). But I can't really give it credit for having a true downtown because I'm not sure that it indeed does have one. So, in conclusion, downtown cores, Boston, Chicago, New York City and Philadelphia are Top 4 and I guess for now San Francisco in the 5 slot though I still have a hunch somewhere in the US may beat it, or I just need to spend more time there. Charleston actually in spite of it's diminutive size has great continuous urbanity, and apart from the fact that it is SO much smaller than the others and a car free lifestyle would truly be difficult there, I could see it at least being Top 10. That said, I think that Vancouver, Montreal, Calgary, Toronto maybe even Quebec City would all have strong claims to that 5 spot if we were talking about North America as a whole, same in Mexico for probably most of it's Top 10 cities, I do need to spend more time on like a 4-5 day venture to NYC to truly compare, but to me no urban experience in the Americas matches up with Mexico City. Sorry not sorry, but of course that is based on subjective taste too and I can see where it falls short also.
Dude! Paragraphs man!!!

Old 08-08-2018, 03:09 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
That was hard to read, but after I did, I generally agree with your rankings.

Boston, Chicago, New York, Philadelphia, San Fran (in no order), DC is nice, but not a top 5.

My two other points...

1) Agreed that almost every major European city has a superior downtown compared to cities in the US.
2) New York offers quite an amazing dense urban experience, but it is hard to compare to Mexico City for a few reasons...
First, New York is essentially the worlds capital city, very wealthy and very powerful so the built environment and landscape between the two cities are very different.

Next, Mexico City is extremely dense, people living in tiny small quarters, and many neighborhoods have a hodge-podge of little dwellings with tons of people stuffed into them.

Finally, Mexico City is (what I would consider) a transitioning/ 2nd world city (if there is such a thing). So the dynamic would naturally make Mexico City more overwhelming from a street level perspective due to the different growth patterns/ lack of zoning, building regulations and poorer populous.

That being said, I still loved Mexico City when I spent 3 days there. Such an interesting streetscape with a surprising amount of public spaces and historic sites, and actually the 2nd highest concentration of museums behind Paris.

However, New York (especially Manhattan) offers a unique street level experience that I still have not found replicated anywhere else in the world, its quite an experience.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:18 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,887,330 times
Mention of San Jose (numerous times), is getting tiring.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:55 PM

1,013 posts, read 911,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
That was hard to read, but after I did, I generally agree with your rankings.

Boston, Chicago, New York, Philadelphia, San Fran (in no order), DC is nice, but not a top 5.

My two other points...

1) Agreed that almost every major European city has a superior downtown compared to cities in the US.
2) New York offers quite an amazing dense urban experience, but it is hard to compare to Mexico City for a few reasons...
First, New York is essentially the worlds capital city, very wealthy and very powerful so the built environment and landscape between the two cities are very different.

Next, Mexico City is extremely dense, people living in tiny small quarters, and many neighborhoods have a hodge-podge of little dwellings with tons of people stuffed into them.

Finally, Mexico City is (what I would consider) a transitioning/ 2nd world city (if there is such a thing). So the dynamic would naturally make Mexico City more overwhelming from a street level perspective due to the different growth patterns/ lack of zoning, building regulations and poorer populous.

That being said, I still loved Mexico City when I spent 3 days there. Such an interesting streetscape with a surprising amount of public spaces and historic sites, and actually the 2nd highest concentration of museums behind Paris.

However, New York (especially Manhattan) offers a unique street level experience that I still have not found replicated anywhere else in the world, its quite an experience.
Good observation disagree about DC though. Capital of the greatest country in the world, headquarters of the government, the military, FBI, CIA, NSA, the powerful lobbies and K Street as well as the embassies and museums, Congress, and more. Not many can compete with the power in that town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City